Sonic 2 is now the highest domestic grossing video game movie

AStrangeName

Member of Snitch Syndication
Daps
Even a trash mario movie will do better.... just watch
Nintendo of then would be fine with a trash Mario doing well, the Nintendo of today would want the movie studios head if they make a trash Mario movie and they don't can't if it does well.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Daps
Reppin
Golden Era/Drama free Zone
2da.png

they really almost fukked this sh1t up

:picard:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
it doesn't make sense the vast majority of the time. the higher ups definitely want to make money so I don't understand where the ego comes in when they butcher book/video game franchises at the rate they do.:mindblown:
It's not ego to be fair... I've heard the argument since the 80s.. The first thing is the plot.. Video games are hours long. Usually with a hundred characters, a convoluted story full of side stories, and usually not written by any type of top writer... Or they would be writing for movies right?

So they gotta condense all that down to a 90-180 minute movie.. And once you start cutting all that shyt down, the whole damn story changes. Is the story even good anymore? Is someone who never played this game going to want to see this shyt?

Ok well we can't have 15 fighters so lets include 8.. We can't have that story cause it's unrealistic for human plumbers so switch it up. Nobody is going to care about a fighting tournament so lets make a new character they can love. We can't have this cartoony Sonic running around, let's make him look more real so it looks more believable on screen.

This happened a lot more back in the day, when video games were hokey, and hollywood didn't have the effects either. They kept bombing. So Hollywood lost faith in them, like they did comic book movies.. That's why the first x-men was so hokey and went away from their costumes... They couldn't believe audiences would watch these guys in yellow spandex. But now here we are where video games are better than ever and more popular than ever and they are cranking them out AND believing in them. Lego series had a lot to do with that too.. Let's not front. The movies are popular off the success of the games, not so much the toys.

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
It's not ego to be fair... I've heard the argument since the 80s.. The first thing is the plot.. Video games are hours long. Usually with a hundred characters, a convoluted story full of side stories, and usually not written by any type of top writer... Or they would be writing for movies right?

So they gotta condense all that down to a 90-180 minute movie.. And once you start cutting all that shyt down, the whole damn story changes. Is the story even good anymore? Is someone who never played this game going to want to see this shyt?

Ok well we can't have 15 fighters so lets include 8.. We can't have that story cause it's unrealistic for human plumbers so switch it up. Nobody is going to care about a fighting tournament so lets make a new character they can love. We can't have this cartoony Sonic running around, let's make him look more real so it looks more believable on screen.

This happened a lot more back in the day, when video games were hokey, and hollywood didn't have the effects either. They kept bombing. So Hollywood lost faith in them, like they did comic book movies.. That's why the first x-men was so hokey and went away from their costumes... They couldn't believe audiences would watch these guys in yellow spandex. But now here we are where video games are better than ever and more popular than ever and they are cranking them out AND believing in them. Lego series had a lot to do with that too.. Let's not front. The movies are popular off the success of the games, not so much the toys.
my retort is the percy jackson series.

books were written in first person and made for young preteens. crucial plot points that were set up for future books that were out at the time completely ignored. made it so the first movie at the end made it clear the series if continued would be clearly different from the books going forward alienating the core audience. The series only made it two movies when as popular as it was as a book series should have made it to five whole movies with a good profit margin. it stalling out is direct blame to upper management not having faith in the ip and looking for a quick cash out .

in contrast, tailor made for a damn near one for one translation from book to film; harry potter was infinitely more difficult. In fact there were a decent amount of subplots and character moments cut out of those films. didn't stop them from being good adaptations

EDIT: and even more egregious because of the time frame LORD OF THE RINGS an early 2000's adaptation that respected the source material and got rewarded for it many times over.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
my retort is the percy jackson series.

books were written in first person and made for young preteens. crucial plot points that were set up for future books that were out at the time completely ignored. made it so the first movie at the end made it clear the series if continued would be clearly different from the books going forward alienating the core audience. The series only made it two movies when as popular as it was as a book series should have made it to five whole movies with a good profit margin. it stalling out is direct blame to upper management not having faith in the ip and looking for a quick cash out .

in contrast, tailor made for a damn near one for one translation from book to film; harry potter was infinitely more difficult. In fact there were a decent amount of subplots and character moments cut out of those films. didn't stop them from being good adaptations

EDIT: and even more egregious because of the time frame LORD OF THE RINGS an early 2000's adaptation that respected the source material and got rewarded for it many times over.
These are books though... Generally considered the best of all writers.. This is why movies rarely, if ever, compare to a book, because of how detailed they are. In these instances, you want to take as much from the book as you possibly can because, again, they are great writers...

My point was about VIDEO GAMES.. We love the stories as we are gamers. But we all know the glaring plot holes and how in the fukks that get excused, because it's a 60 hour game. They are NOT considered the best writers. So much so that when a game actually has a movie like story, people are fukking amazed by it.

Hollywood doesn't trust THOSE writers, and will write out as humanly possible, to correct their "mistakes".

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
finally seen this shyt yesterday :leon: shyt was another home run like the first one was. i wonder if shadow movie gon be as :trash: as his game was
shadow has the most drama out of any sonic character i can think of
they just need to do sonic adventure 2 shadow and run with it