Something is going down in Cameroon between the English and French speaking Cameroonians

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
How did the Cameroon war go so unnoticed that today hardly anybody knows it took place? This question becomes even more troubling given that the conflict left tens of thousands dead. According to the British embassy’s confidential report from the mid 1960s, the war caused from 60,000 to 76,000 civilian deaths between 1956 and 1964. At a 1962 conference, a journalist from Le Monde claimed 120,000 had been killed since 1959 in the Bamileke region alone. “Yet we are almost entirely ignorant of this even in France, the former metropole,” he added. For good reason: neither he nor any of his colleagues informed their readers about it.

Finally, the silence that has reigned since the mid 1960s must be situated in the war’s outcome. The French victory and Ahidjo’s installation as the postcolonial state’s first president not only muzzled all criticism of the regime, but also effaced the memory of the nationalists who fought to achieve real independence. History is, after all, written by the victors: The traces of their crimes are removed, and the witnesses who might cause them embarrassment are silenced. In Algeria, the FLN took power in 1962, but the defeated UPC could not honor its heroes. No scholarship could be undertaken that even evoked this period; to do so was considered a capital offense. Not until the 1980s could Cameroonians begin to research their country’s violent decolonization, and even then they had to do it abroad.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Hoping to avoid legal proceedings like those successfully undertaken by former Land and Freedom Army fighters and other Kikuyu survivors of the “Mau Mau” against the British authorities, French officialdom is for the moment trying to play for time, patiently waiting out the surviving victims and witnesses. But it knows that the silence covering up the atrocities committed by France, contra international law, during this violent conflict cannot last. Anti-French feeling has become so powerful in Africa, and historical thinking about present-day crises deriving from humanity’s colonial past so developed throughout the world, that France will sooner or later have to look its past in the face.

:francis: and yet the Coli acts surprised when they ask us why we're so anti-French.

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
This is so sad in so many levels especially the picture of lawyers and judges with those stupid white /blond wigs I think it is also the case in Nigeria just the image screams out mental slavery.

As far as the language policy, the curriculum must require that children learn major indigenous languages in addition to French & English.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
It's a fukked up situation. Still the only way to communicate with family in Bamenda is going to the gas station to get a calling card. Smh

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's a fukked up situation. Still the only way to communicate with family in Bamenda is going to the gas station to get a calling card. Smh

I hope that you family is safe.

If you are from Bamenda are you either Bamileke or Bamum?

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
Get whatsapp
all internet is shut down including data on sim cards. it's landline or nothing

I hope that you family is safe.

If you are from Bamenda are you either Bamileke or Bamum?
na breh i was born here. my parents are bamileke. this french vs English shyt been going on for decades. the whole reason many anglophones emigrated to the states back in the 70s/80s was for better opportunities but also because they refused to print a lot of textbooks in English back then. so if you wanted to get any type of higher education it was either learn it in french or kick rocks.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
all internet is shut down including data on sim cards. it's landline or nothing

na breh i was born here. my parents are bamileke. this french vs English shyt been going on for decades. the whole reason many anglophones emigrated to the states back in the 70s/80s was for better opportunities but also because they refused to print a lot of textbooks in English back then. so if you wanted to get any type of higher education it was either learn it in french or kick rocks.

A few years back I did a DNA test and learned that a large part of my DNA came back to the Bamoun people. After doing research I have learned that a lot of African Americans that had family members in Virginia and Maryland during slavery have come back with strong DNA from the Bamileke, Bamoum and other Tikar people. Interesting stuff.