Someone explain to me the jayz wanting his masters situation

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
Jay would show his vengeance by shutting down the Diplomat projects as well and proceeded to go after Dame for Rocawear, The label, and exchange that Dash would give Jay the masters to his first album Reasonable Doubt. Dash refused claiming that “This was a representation of their blood, sweat, and tears coming up together” and ended up getting everything takened from him by Jay.

:ohhh:

jerzboy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As an artist u should always want the masters to your record. That way your more in control of your situation.

Say Jay wanted release a greatest hits album or use his music for whatever, unless he goes in a studio and re-records those songs, he is going to need the labels permission to use the master recording.

It's tough to own your masters though, and unless you have leverage (which Jay had) you're not going to get them.

MrPentatonic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Was this what started off the issues between them? I never really got how they fell out

jerzboy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Was this what started off the issues between them? I never really got how they fell out

I'm not sure. It was prob one of them. I remember when dame gave Cam that high position, that was another thing.

Then I remember people telling me Lyor was whispering in his ear.

Around the time Cam was signed, you started to notice a difference.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dame and Biggs refused to relinquish the massters of RD to jay. If they had he wouldn't have bled them dry. He got super vindictive like a woman in a divorce. They felt they had built/made it together.

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
As an artist u should always want the masters to your record. That way your more in control of your situation.

Say Jay wanted release a greatest hits album or use his music for whatever, unless he goes in a studio and re-records those songs, he is going to need the labels permission to use the master recording.

It's tough to own your masters though, and unless you have leverage (which Jay had) you're not going to get them.

So if he does a greatest hits album he wouldnt get paid?

jerzboy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So if he does a greatest hits album he wouldnt get paid?

Essentially yeah...

But when greatest hits are made two sides have to be cleared for the release... The master owners (usually the labels) and the publishing side (I don't know Jay's publishing situation)

If Dame doesn't clear the songs then Jay's going to have to re-record them or just miss having them on other releases

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
If Dame didn't spend money like a lonely housewife, The Roc would have lasted longer.

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
Essentially yeah...

But when greatest hits are made two sides have to be cleared for the release... The master owners (usually the labels) and the publishing side (I don't know Jay's publishing situation)

If Dame doesn't clear the songs then Jay's going to have to re-record them or just miss having them on other releases

ah i see.

this might look stupid but lets say if a label wanted to sign me and they hand me the contract to sign, could i say i want to own everything whilst my lawyer or manager is present? like i want my 100% publishing and masters?

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
:sadcam: damn jay z why u do that brah

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jHIkvAn11Q&feature=related[/ame]

Scotch Hall

All Star
Daps
Reppin
#TSC and surgical shoes
ah i see.

this might look stupid but lets say if a label wanted to sign me and they hand me the contract to sign, could i say i want to own everything whilst my lawyer or manager is present? like i want my 100% publishing and masters?

You could ask for that but most likely they wouldn't sign you, because you know too much. Most of these dudes out here end up giving half they publishing taken for they could get signed :snoop:

YBE

Banned
Daps
Dame and Biggs refused to relinquish the massters of RD to jay. If they had he wouldn't have bled them dry. He got super vindictive like a woman in a divorce. They felt they had built/made it together.

They did though :mjpls: