Some things in the BIBLE aren't to be taken LITERAL

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Due to things being lost in translation...and how the prophets spoke..alot of the oracles or saying weren't meant to be taken literal...for instance Prophet Jonah..yall think he was ate by a big fish?
The word of the Lord came to Jonah son of Amittai: “Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me.” But Jonah ran away from the Lord and headed for Tarshish. He went down to Joppa, where he found a ship bound for that port.
After paying the fare, he went aboard and sailed for Tarshish to flee from the Lord. Then the Lord sent a great wind on the sea, and such a violent storm arose that the ship threatened to break up. All the sailors were afraid and each cried out to his own god. And they threw the cargo into the sea to lighten the ship.
But Jonah had gone below deck, where he lay down and fell into a deep sleep. The captain went to him and said, “How can you sleep? Get up and call on your god! Maybe he will take notice of us so that we will not perish.”

Then the sailors said to each other, “Come, let us cast lots to find out who is responsible for this calamity.” They cast lots and the lot fell on Jonah. So they asked him, “Tell us, who is responsible for making all this trouble for us? What kind of work do you do? Where do you come from? What is your country? From what people are you?”

He answered, “I am a Hebrew and I worship the Lord, the God of heaven, who made the sea and the dry land.” This terrified them and they asked, “What have you done?” (They knew he was running away from the Lord, because he had already told them so.) The sea was getting rougher and rougher. So they asked him, “What should we do to you to make the sea calm down for us?” “Pick me up and throw me into the sea,” he replied, “and it will become calm. I know that it is my fault that this great storm has come upon you.” Instead, the men did their best to row back to land.

But they could not, for the sea grew even wilder than before. Then they cried out to the Lord, “Please, Lord, do not let us die for taking this man’s life. Do not hold us accountable for killing an innocent man, for you, Lord, have done as you pleased.” Then they took Jonah and threw him overboard, and the raging sea grew calm. At this the men greatly feared the Lord, and they offered a sacrifice to the Lord and made vows to him.
Jonah 1:1‭-‬16 NIV
Jonah 1:1-16 The word of the LORD came to Jonah son of Amittai: “Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me.” But Jonah ran away from the LORD and headed fo | New International Version (NIV) | Download The Bible App Now

Now brehs really don't believe he was swallowed by a huge fish

I think the important thing to gather was that Jonah kept himself away from everyone and FASTED 3days/3nights :ohlawd:

Now the Lord provided a huge fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.
From inside the fish Jonah prayed to the Lord his God.

Jonah 2:1 NIV
Jonah 2:1
Jonah 1:17 NIV
Jonah 1:17

Have any of yall fasted?? How did you feel physically and spiritually afterwards?? Did you find the answer or the results you seek??

:lawd:

What are some things in the Bible that aren't believed to be taken literal?

And if your answer is the whole book you're getting negged for nonsense:camby:

• Dap
Reactions: Sbp

invalid

Banned
Daps
Now brehs really don't believe he was swallowed by a huge fish

Eh...there are some things that are metaphors, parables, poetic imageries that are not to be taken literal.

I don’t think the story of Jonah is one of them.

First off, out of all the miracles that happened in the Bible, which there are not that many that we like to believe actually, being swallowed by a fish is hardly at the top as being the most unbelievable.

But in this instance, I take it as actually happening, because Christ goes to reference it out of his own mouth...

For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Christ wasn’t talking about disappearing to fast for three days.

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Eh...there are some things that are metaphors, parables, poetic imageries that are not to be taken literal.

I don’t think the story of Jonah is one of them.

First off, out of all the miracles that happened in the Bible, which there are not that many that we like to believe actually, being swallowed by a fish is hardly at the top as being the most unbelievable.

But in this instance, I take it as actually happening, because Christ goes to reference it himself...

Christ wasn’t talking about disappearing to fast for three days.
:ohhh:Rep for schooling me

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall
a19f19b1f5288c08146057751e08e07f.gif

invalid

Banned
Daps
:ohhh:Rep for schooling me

The story of Jonah is a foreshadowing in itself. It’s pointing to Christ. Christ is the new and better Jonah.

Jonah was sent not to deliver the word of God to his fellow Hebrews, like prophets before him, but to their enemy, the gentile Assyrians, in order to save them from the wrath of God.

An idea that was blasphemous to the Hebrews, who didn’t think that one of their enemies, a gentile nation, would 1) be on the mind of God, and 2) that God would care enough about them that he would be willing to save them from his wrath.

The story points to the work that Christ would do.

Christ is the new and better Jonah.

Last edited:

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
The story of Jonah is a metaphor in itself. It’s pointing to Christ. Christ is the new and better Jonah.

Jonah was sent not to deliver the word of God to his fellow Hebrews, like prophets before him, but to their enemy, the gentile Assyrians, in order to save them from the wrath of God.

An idea that was blasphemous to the Hebrews, who didn’t think that one of their enemies, a gentile nation, would 1) be on the mind of God and 2) enough so that he would be willing to save them.

The story points to the work that Christ would do.

Christ is the new and better Jonah.
That makes sense..

Goes to show the levels to scripture...I thought what to get out of it was fasting.

The point about GOD showing forgiveness to gentiles totally skipped over my head until you mention.

cobra

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I believe he was swallowed by the whale.

humans have survived inside whales before

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Everything in Bible can't be taken literally

Did you hear about that big ship that sunk because of the iceberg

invalid

Banned
Daps
That makes sense..

Goes to show the levels to scripture...I thought what to get out of it was fasting.

The point about GOD showing forgiveness to gentiles totally skipped over my head until you mention.

There are so many layers to scripture. It’s a very rich and alive text.