Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
has anybody here worked on a web app that required them to use webgl? there's this project im working on that requires me to make an android app (using opengl) or a web app (using webgl) and i'm unsure which platform to pursue at the moment. it should be said that i'm more of an android / java fella, my web dev skills are a bit rusty.

thanks for yah time

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
has anybody here worked on a web app that required them to use webgl? there's this project im working on that requires me to make an android app (using opengl) or a web app (using webgl) and i'm unsure which platform to pursue at the moment. it should be said that i'm more of an android / java fella, my web dev skills are a bit rusty.

thanks for yah time

Go for the one you are competent in unless you have a lot of free time to learn a completely different language (Javascript). Web development is quite time consuming to learn, as you have to learn HTML and CSS along with it as well as account for differences in browsers.

I haven't done anything with WebGL as of yet, but I'm working on learning to make web apps. I'm still learning how to utilize node.js as it's more difficult than PHP (lower level + asynchronous).

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Programming just gives me a rush. I finally figured out how to do routing with node.js and direct requests to web pages.

Daps
Go for the one you are competent in unless you have a lot of free time to learn a completely different language (Javascript). Web development is quite time consuming to learn, as you have to learn HTML and CSS along with it as well as account for differences in browsers.

I haven't done anything with WebGL as of yet, but I'm working on learning to make web apps. I'm still learning how to utilize node.js as it's more difficult than PHP (lower level + asynchronous).

thanks man. also i see that you have a blog. if you really want to cement the knowledge you've accumulated, i'd highly suggest you write a few tutorials (PHP, HTML, CSS, etc). like i said i'm a bit rusty so i'd be very interested in what you've got to say. also you'll get a chance to improve your technical writing skills which a lot of folks in this industry lack.

my own blog is located here. i'm planning on writing a few tutorials (jsut need to find the time). i'd appreciate it if you took a look every so often and gave me feedback. anyways, good shyt and good thread fellas. i'm hoping to learn a lot from here.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
thanks man. also i see that you have a blog. if you really want to cement the knowledge you've accumulated, i'd highly suggest you write a few tutorials (PHP, HTML, CSS, etc). like i said i'm a bit rusty so i'd be very interested in what you've got to say. also you'll get a chance to improve your technical writing skills which a lot of folks in this industry lack.

my own blog is located here. i'm planning on writing a few tutorials (jsut need to find the time). i'd appreciate it if you took a look every so often and gave me feedback. anyways, good shyt and good thread fellas. i'm hoping to learn a lot from here.

I actually have a programming blog, but I haven't really made it public since it's more along the lines of a brainstorm blog. The articles are disjointed and it's more of me getting my thoughts out in order to try to make sense of all of these concepts being tossed at me. I'll probably put up the link soon. Thanks for the link to your blog. I'll have to check it out in depth soon.

What I'm trying to learn now is MV* patterns, because it's being used all over Javascript, both on the serverside and clientside.

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
So I'm trying to teach myself Python using tutorials. Can someone just give me one example when a modulus operation would be used?

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
So I'm trying to teach myself Python using tutorials. Can someone just give me one example when a modulus operation would be used?

If you need check if something is even or odd is the most common use. You can also use it to check if a quotient involves a remainder, which can be used in the euclidan algorithm or cryptography use.

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
If you need check if something is even or odd is the most common use. You can also use it to check if a quotient involves a remainder, which can be used in the euclidan algorithm or cryptography use.
I've read that some people use it when making progress bars as well, is that a good use for it or is there something easier?

Spatial Paradox

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I've read that some people use it when making progress bars as well, is that a good use for it or is there something easier?

First time I'm hearing of using it for progress bars, but it makes sense because it's easy to calculate how much of the progress bar is unfilled (the remainder of dividing the total of a filled up progress bar by the current progress).

Another common use for modulus is expressing a smaller unit of measure in terms of a larger unit of measure. So you can take a number in seconds and split it into days, hours, minutes, and seconds using division and the modulus operator
e.g. 13,840 seconds in hours, minutes, seconds:
13,840 seconds divided by 60 gives you 230 minutes. 13,840 modulus 60 gives you 40 seconds
230 minutes divided by 60 gives you 3 hours. 230 modulus 60 gives you 50 minutes
So 13,800 seconds equals 3 hours, 50 minutes, 40 seconds

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
First time I'm hearing of using it for progress bars, but it makes sense because it's easy to calculate how much of the progress bar is unfilled (the remainder of dividing the total of a filled up progress bar by the current progress).

Another common use for modulus is expressing a smaller unit of measure in terms of a larger unit of measure. So you can take a number in seconds and split it into days, hours, minutes, and seconds using division and the modulus operator
e.g. 13,840 seconds in hours, minutes, seconds:
13,840 seconds divided by 60 gives you 230 minutes. 13,840 modulus 60 gives you 40 seconds
230 minutes divided by 60 gives you 3 hours. 230 modulus 60 gives you 50 minutes
So 13,800 seconds equals 3 hours, 50 minutes, 40 seconds
Yeah I've seen this mentioned alot, thanks this really clears up how to use that function.

Daps

the only time i ever usee the modulus operation is to determine wheter an integer is even or odd. but to be honest its potential uses are limitless. asking for examples for how a modulus operation could be used is akin to asking how a plus operation could be used or what the purpose of a lambda function is. its simply a mathematical abstraction that can be used an infinite # of ways. your concern right now should be on getting more familiar with the syntax and trying to put to use the skills you've accumulated on a real world project.

good to see that you've taken an interest in programming. if you got any more questions make sure you ask us OGs.

not sure how advanced you are in your private studies but one thing i want to stress is to follow software development best practices like using functions. if you suspect that a fragment of code should be in a function (even a little bit) then put it in a function. the most important thing about writing code is it should be readable and easy to understand. it's just like writing. aim for clarity & conciseness.

Daps
Not sure how many brehs here are Java-heads, but I got some tips that might be of some use to y'all:

(1) If you're doing string concatenation in a loop, always use StringBuilders. Always. Much more efficient. But don't take my word for it, actually test it out and time it and see how the results compare. I did that recently and I was floored.

(2) If you're using an arraylist and have got a ballpark estimate of how many elements that arraylist will contain on average then you should specify the initial size in the constructor (i.e. ArrayList array = new ArrayList(300) for an initial arraylist with 300 spaces). When you create a new ArrayList without specifying anything in the constructor like this: new ArrayList() you're basically just creating an array with ten spaces, and then you're extending that array by 10 for everytime you reach the limit. this means that for certain add() operations the actual cost will be O(10) rather than O(1). so to keep the amortized cost for add operations as low as possible (i.e. O(1)), it's better to allocate all that space at the outset.

Daps
also never use bitwise operators on java. it just makes code difficult to understand and it seldom results in a significant increase in efficiency. unlike for C & C++ where the machine actually runs the compiled code, in java it's the JVM that runs the compiled code, and in most cases you basically don't know what it's doinng. it might be that your clever 'bit-twiddling' hacks are causing the JVM to struggle when it wouldn't have otherwise. so most important thing is to code for readability. never, ever code for efficiency. ever. make sure your code is easy to read. that should always be first priority.

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
the only time i ever usee the modulus operation is to determine wheter an integer is even or odd. but to be honest its potential uses are limitless. asking for examples for how a modulus operation could be used is akin to asking how a plus operation could be used or what the purpose of a lambda function is. its simply a mathematical abstraction that can be used an infinite # of ways. your concern right now should be on getting more familiar with the syntax and trying to put to use the skills you've accumulated on a real world project.

good to see that you've taken an interest in programming. if you got any more questions make sure you ask us OGs.

not sure how advanced you are in your private studies but one thing i want to stress is to follow software development best practices like using functions. if you suspect that a fragment of code should be in a function (even a little bit) then put it in a function. the most important thing about writing code is it should be readable and easy to understand. it's just like writing. aim for clarity & conciseness.
I was just asking for one simple example just to see how others used it, I know most operations have a multitude of functions but that one I couldn't really figure out why anyone would use it.

Daps
I was just asking for one simple example just to see how others used it, I know most operations have a multitude of functions but that one I couldn't really figure out why anyone would use it.

alright i see ya breh. if you got any more questions then shoot. we should all share our knowledge and elevate.