Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Quiet Magician

Superstar
Daps
HTML/CSS isn't really a programming language. They are mark-up languages, and thus, relatively easy to learn. I would give HTML/CSS a month or two to learn in depth if you go hard with them. HTML is very easy to learn. CSS isn't particularly difficult either, but it can have a ton of details which can throw you off. If you want to get started learning HTML/CSS, go to codecademy.com and go through the HTML/CSS track. Then start working your way through some books.HeadFirst HTML/CSS is a great one for starting off. When you're ready to get advanced with the CSS, get CSS the Missing Manual.

Javascript is something I'm still in the process of really learning. The basic syntax and doing the basics like loops, conditionals, etc. are simple, but where Javascript gets difficult is understanding concepts like closures and the more advanced things. Learning a full language like Javascript or PHP will take several months to get the hang of and years to master, so don't rush the process. IF you're going to do back-end development and you like what you've done with Ruby on Rails, don't worry about using PHP, and stick with RoR.

By any chance are you a developer?

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
IF you're considering starting your own company and being independent for life... with money.

I think that State Property with Beenie Segal is a good movie to watch. Then also make sure you always stay fresh with your skills. I would also get pm certified as well.

Spin

All Star
Daps
The past few months I have finished the HTML, CSS, Javascript, JQuery, Python, and most of the Ruby tracks on codecademy.com. I would say for anyone new, Codecademy is great. It will force you to get used to typing code. You probably won't understand it all, but you will at least get to the point where you will say "ah I have seen this before".

I started Treehouse a few weeks back and it has been a good investment. It's very structured into programs based on your goal. If you want to do front end, back end, or design, there are paths. It goes step by step with short videos and then challenges. Treehouse is good because you actually get to SEE something come to life that you coded. Now that I think about it, I wish I would of started Treehouse and Codecademy at the same time. Think of Codecademy like the military where you do drill after drill. Treehouse you will start to put some of that to use.

Codecademy is free and you can get a free month I believe with Treehouse. While Treehouse costs $25 a month after that, it's worth it. If you have a regular full time job like me, you will appreciate the structure of the program.

Like some of you I'm diving into Javascript. I have found this book http://www.amazon.com/JavaScript-Enlightenment-Cody-Lindley/dp/1449342884/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397433745&sr=8-1&keywords=javascript enlightment a great help. It doesn't have as many words as the definitive guide and others on the subject. I like how it shows you code and then simply explains it. Depending on your learning style, Javascript Enlightenment might be worth it.

I also want to have Full Stack skills. Treehouse has a course on Ruby on Rails if you're interested. Since starting Javascript, I have become interested in using Node.js which is a server side platform written in Javascript.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
just curious, what is your bracket style?
function(){
}

or
function()
{
}

I much prefer the latter because it helps me see if I have enough closing brackets, but I see a lot of programmers opt for the former.[DOUBLEPOST=1397508542][/DOUBLEPOST]
The past few months I have finished the HTML, CSS, Javascript, JQuery, Python, and most of the Ruby tracks on codecademy.com. I would say for anyone new, Codecademy is great. It will force you to get used to typing code. You probably won't understand it all, but you will at least get to the point where you will say "ah I have seen this before".

I started Treehouse a few weeks back and it has been a good investment. It's very structured into programs based on your goal. If you want to do front end, back end, or design, there are paths. It goes step by step with short videos and then challenges. Treehouse is good because you actually get to SEE something come to life that you coded. Now that I think about it, I wish I would of started Treehouse and Codecademy at the same time. Think of Codecademy like the military where you do drill after drill. Treehouse you will start to put some of that to use.

Codecademy is free and you can get a free month I believe with Treehouse. While Treehouse costs $25 a month after that, it's worth it. If you have a regular full time job like me, you will appreciate the structure of the program.

Like some of you I'm diving into Javascript. I have found this book http://www.amazon.com/JavaScript-Enlightenment-Cody-Lindley/dp/1449342884/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397433745&sr=8-1&keywords=javascript enlightment a great help. It doesn't have as many words as the definitive guide and others on the subject. I like how it shows you code and then simply explains it. Depending on your learning style, Javascript Enlightenment might be worth it.

I also want to have Full Stack skills. Treehouse has a course on Ruby on Rails if you're interested. Since starting Javascript, I have become interested in using Node.js which is a server side platform written in Javascript.

The definitive guide is something to get after you are already familiar with the language. I read over 300 pages in it and it was some of the slowest reading I've encountered in a long while. The book reads like a technical manual. It tells you a lot 'about' Javascript, but it doesn't tell you how to do anything... so it's a nice read once you already have a decent grip on the language but want to really dig in on how everything works.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I've been looking into node.js too :patrice:

you'll probably be better off starting with php first if you're going into back-end development and then transitioning to node.js down the line once you have a solid grasp of javascript. The reason I say that is node.js is a fairly new technology, meaning that it is rapidly changing and it lacks the examples of how to do certain things that a more established server-side technology has. Once you are comfortable implementing various things in php and know all about back-end development, as well as being solid with javascript, you can come back to node.js and do new projects with it.

Spin

All Star
Daps
just curious, what is your bracket style?
function(){
}

or
function()
{
}

I much prefer the latter because it helps me see if I have enough closing brackets, but I see a lot of programmers opt for the former.[DOUBLEPOST=1397508542][/DOUBLEPOST]

The definitive guide is something to get after you are already familiar with the language. I read over 300 pages in it and it was some of the slowest reading I've encountered in a long while. The book reads like a technical manual. It tells you a lot 'about' Javascript, but it doesn't tell you how to do anything... so it's a nice read once you already have a decent grip on the language but want to really dig in on how everything works.

I use function() {
}

mostly because that's what I always see in examples. However I see what you are saying and I have started to modify my CSS brackets for easier reading as well. It def helps the next day coming back to do stuff if it's nice and clear.

Last edited:

2manyFCKNrappers

mentally i measure kilos
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I'm just getting in to python but something keeps irking me to give ruby another look. The reason I'm going for python is because I see too many of these coding schools focusing on ruby. Python also has a larger community and the syntax seems easier. Any tips?

Spin

All Star
Daps
I'm just getting in to python but something keeps irking me to give ruby another look. The reason I'm going for python is because I see too many of these coding schools focusing on ruby. Python also has a larger community and the syntax seems easier. Any tips?

I would say just pick one and roll with it. Once you learn one, you will pick up the other in a week or two. I went through this same debate and realized I wasted time lol. You will still need to learn Rails if you do Ruby and Django if you're going to do Python. I'm in the process of learning JavaScript in-depth since it's used in Front End and getting more popular with Back End thanks to Node.JS.

The name of the game for getting a job, raising capital, etc is to have projects you can point to no matter what language it was built in.

p.s. If you are a big math guy I do hear that Python is great for advanced formulas. The way JavaScript evaluates floating numbers you might not get the exact answers that you're looking for without some kind of work around. However, I'm no math genius and that's only what I hear.

Last edited:

HabitualLineSteppa

....Fuh Q.
Daps
I'm legit losing it with this fukking programming shyt!! :salute: to every man woman and child who wants to and actually enjoys Java! :pacspit: at the same damn time...

Breh I just want to graduate at this point and I swear this programming shyt has me :to: status....

And I JUST got my foot in the door in the IT world (help desk troubleshooting Internet and VoIP issues with a major telecom :myman: )

This homework brehs....I'm stressed out

So I have to create an application that will:

Record the name of two salespersons
Record their respective sales made in dollars
Determine how many sales (dollars) are needed to match or exceed the higher of the two earners

The best I can gather is that both an ArrayList and string builder will be at play here...How?? IDK

-_- 5 weeks for these courses online with NO instruction, working full time, and with a newborn child has me like :mindblown::wtf::damn::snoop::comeon::wow:

I'm SUPPOSED to graduate before the end of the year but I swear every time a class is over I see my GPA steady declining on some :dwillhuh::sadcam: shyt

Help me brehs. I feel like an idiot at this point :noah:

I don't wanna give up...Black excellence is and will forever be the goal...shyt is just rough right now.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm legit losing it with this fukking programming shyt!! :salute: to every man woman and child who wants to and actually enjoys Java! :pacspit: at the same damn time...

Breh I just want to graduate at this point and I swear this programming shyt has me :to: status....

And I JUST got my foot in the door in the IT world (help desk troubleshooting Internet and VoIP issues with a major telecom :myman: )

This homework brehs....I'm stressed out

So I have to create an application that will:

Record the name of two salespersons
Record their respective sales made in dollars
Determine how many sales (dollars) are needed to match or exceed the higher of the two earners

The best I can gather is that both an ArrayList and string builder will be at play here...How?? IDK

-_- 5 weeks for these courses online with NO instruction, working full time, and with a newborn child has me like :mindblown::wtf::damn::snoop::comeon::wow:

I'm SUPPOSED to graduate before the end of the year but I swear every time a class is over I see my GPA steady declining on some :dwillhuh::sadcam: shyt

Help me brehs. I feel like an idiot at this point :noah:

I don't wanna give up...Black excellence is and will forever be the goal...shyt is just rough right now.

Are they expecting to make you do this with a GUI?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I don't know Java, but this is how you find the 'max number' in Javascript. I'm sure you can do a port over to Java
Code:
var arr = [2,1,4,9];

var holder=0;

for(i=0; i<arr.length; i++)
{

if(arr[i] > holder)
  {
  holder = arr[i];
  }
}

console.log(holder);

var arr is an array which holds a bunch of different numbers, and var holder is a container that will hold the larger of two values when compared. I then use a for loop to run through each member of the array. The if conditional compares to see if the current value of arr, which is the current position of the array, is larger than the current value of holder. If it is, then it stores that value into holder.