So Whose Been to AFROPUNK Fest in Brooklyn?

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
I feel like afro-punk focuses on selling a look and not promoting punk or indie rock made by black folks.
The majority of the AfroPunk lineups in the past til now have been predominantly black though...
MIA was chosen to headline the London one last year and due to outrage over her comments made about BLM she was pressured to step down...

:dwillhuh:

\I'll reserve my judgements about what afro punk is now...too commercial, but they've had Unlocking The Truth, Death, Bad Brains, In Living Colour, and other black rock bands play there in the past so I can't agree with this statemn. They promote punk and indie rock made by black folks. Especially considering Bad Brains was around and is still around since their inception in DC in the mid late 70s and especially being that Death is essentially the first metal band to ever be created, and that's four black dudes from Detroit jamming since the 60s.

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
Yearly festival in the city...So many different flavas of sistas out there...:banderas:How dare anyone disrespect our black goddesses..I might need to buss the move over yonder this year...:myman:

landscape-1472475584-elle-afropunk-16-street-style-015.jpg

1b59f4276d76748d6764f8af5a790edd.jpg

395654d8e7f2417ff56097894885c977.jpg

afropunk_2016_c_simbarashe_cha-04448%402x.jpg

dd2e50966a12531aadd5d325de214ac8.jpg
Names? Even though the one with the knitted skirt at the bottom might bat for the other team. I still don't care.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
I can smell the feminism from here:scusthov:
Nah...

The sistas there are actually mad friendly approachable.
I've always liked the concept of AfroPunk because it focused on alt black people who didn't fit in the traditional narrative of hip-hop, basketball...R&B, it was for black folks that were rejected by other black folks for liking punk, metal, alternative, electronica, skateboarding, so it was and is a cool place for black people from all walks of life to be accepted and appreciate each other with no drama.

The problem is too many wypipo up in that bytch anymore ruining the vibes.
My mans was joking with me saying that by 2020 75% of the afropunk crowd gonna be cacs.
It's already happening the more commercial it gets. Like Mad Decent Block Party and Fool's Gold Day Off
I miss when it was free.

SeveroDrgnfli

Ain't nobody tryin to get indicted.
Daps
Reppin
Always
@Sagat fair points. I've never been to one of their festivals. I can only judge what I see and I haven't seen anything other than pictures of what's going on. I like the idea and I think the platform they've created is unique and dope, but I'm cautious about giving it a full co-sign until I see more musicians getting behind it.

I think I'm hung up on the title. As a black man who grew up listening to punk and indie rock "afro-punk" doesn't mean hippies to me. Hahaha, I'm kind of hating, but seeing hippies at a punk show is odd to me.

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Nah...

The sistas there are actually mad friendly approachable.
I've always liked the concept of AfroPunk because it focused on alt black people who didn't fit in the traditional narrative of hip-hop, basketball...R&B, it was for black folks that were rejected by other black folks for liking punk, metal, alternative, electronica, skateboarding, so it was and is a cool place for black people from all walks of life to be accepted and appreciate each other with no drama.

The problem is too many wypipo up in that bytch anymore ruining the vibes.
My mans was joking with me saying that by 2020 75% of the afropunk crowd gonna be cacs.
It's already happening the more commercial it gets. Like Mad Decent Block Party and Fool's Gold Day Off
I miss when it was free.

This is exactly what i'm telling these guys...they exaggerating about the amount of girls being angry feminists.

If more Black guys actually went there the annoying cacs would be canceled out and go away because even the biggest wench is more attracted to black dudes

White people just so annoying wanting to follow us everywhere though.

Hopefully AfroBeat when it comes to America(which may be like 15 years away) can be one genre where cacs don't try to follow us and imitate us(naive i know)

Rusty$hackleford

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PHX
Yo I want to go to this, that would make up for missing Punk Rock bowling this year. Aint ever been to NYC, how much $ would yal recommend to allocate for a weekend trip? Other considerations?

I do see that ATL venue too :lupe:

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Full of wenches and timid effeminate homo black men.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
The last time I went was the transition from punk acts to more dj acts. It's kinda sad that they moved away from their roots.
It really is. Afropunk is lowkey losing what made it special in the first place. What's the point of calling it Afropunk if there's no punk?
:mindblown:
Some of us black folk have actually been heavy in the punk scene before we moved on to other things...l don't know, it just gets softer and loses it's appeal when I see the lineups each and every year.

Neguinha

Rookie
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
United States (USA)
I wanna go, but nobody I know feeling it. Is that an event you can go solo to?
Find a person, introduce yourself, and ask them if you can hang. No one is going to say no to you. Everyone is either high or horny. I went two years ago and I couldn't imagine going to it by myself. There are way too many people and you'll get lost in the sauce.