so this dude chris pratt was a d level sitcom star, loses 60lbs, and is now an a list movie star?

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i guess so...i have nothing against him, just dont get the deal about him...i dont see him in movies and say 'i wanna see that cause of him'....said so in another thread...to me, he's just the latest prototypical smartass white dude they pushing as lead...more power to him...

Chris Pratt is a movie star in name only. He's not really drawing in audiences on name alone. He just happens to get attached to really big franchises that do well.

Nobody went to see Guardians of the Galaxy, Jurassic World, or The Lego Movie to see Chris Pratt. The one movie he headlined that was being sold on his star power (along with Jennifer Lawrence) was passengers and that movie under performed and barely broke even.

To be fair to Pratt, nobody is really drawing in audiences on name alone outside of a really small group of actors. The Rock, Kevin Hart, Melissa McCarthy, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Denzel Washington are the only people that seem to bring in audiences just off their name without being attached to a bigger franchise.

And now that I think about it I'm not even sure Rock can be counted on drawing on name alone. All of his biggest movies were franchises or had that Disney machine behind him.

Spyro

Banned
Daps
Chris Pratt is a movie star in name only. He's not really drawing in audiences on name alone. He just happens to get attached to really big franchises that do well.

Nobody went to see Guardians of the Galaxy, Jurassic World, or The Lego Movie to see Chris Pratt. The one movie he headlined that was being sold on his star power (along with Jennifer Lawrence) was passengers and that movie under performed and barely broke even.

To be fair to Pratt, nobody is really drawing in audiences on name alone outside of a really small group of actors. The Rock, Kevin Hart, Melissa McCarthy, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Denzel Washington are the only people that seem to bring in audiences just off their name without being attached to a bigger franchise.

And now that I think about it I'm not even sure Rock can be counted on drawing on name alone. All of his biggest movies were franchises or had that Disney machine behind him.

Central Intelligence made over 200 million mainly off of him, and Kevin Hart to a lesser extent. San Andreas wasn't very good but still made almost 500 million off him alone, GI Joe and Journey sequels only made more cause of him coming in. Even the Fast franchise only started making big bank when he joined.

:yeshrug:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Central Intelligence made over 200 million mainly off of him, and Kevin Hart to a lesser extent. San Andreas wasn't very good but still made almost 500 million off him alone, GI Joe and Journey sequels only made more cause of him coming in. Even the Fast franchise only started making big bank when he joined.

It's hard to judge with Rock because for every hit he's got a few movies that bombed that he headlined. Things like Hercules, Faster, and Snitch all under performed (I say that as someone that likes Hercules and Faster). Kevin Hart has a better track record by himself than Rock does. I legit forgot about San Andreas though, that was definitely sold mostly on his name.

I'm not going to credit that boost in the Fast franchise just to The Rock, he helped, but so much of that franchise is built on the ensemble coming together and crazy ass stunts.

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
It's hard to judge with Rock because for every hit he's got a few movies that bombed that he headlined. Things like Hercules, Faster, and Snitch all under performed (I say that as someone that likes Hercules and Faster). Kevin Hart has a better track record by himself than Rock does. I legit forgot about San Andreas though, that was definitely sold mostly on his name.

I'm not going to credit that boost in the Fast franchise just to The Rock, he helped, but so much of that franchise is built on the ensemble coming together and crazy ass stunts.

Disagree.... His name may have helped but the movie was mostly sold on the fact that it was a disaster flick which tend to do well especially when they are loosely based around possible real future disasters [In this case the 'big one' here in California] 2012 had no big name actors in it and it managed to pulled over 700 mill worldwide.

WMG the 2nd

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Nah it was a good balance
Kevin hart is a list so is rock no different then when will Ferrell and mark wahlberg got together