So they found out what happens to the human body after being frozen for several years.....it's not pretty

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
How can they decompose if they're frozen :wtf:
Did you ever see that episode of The Twilight Zone called The Rip Van Winkle Caper?

Seriously, though: What ever happened to the first cryogenically frozen humans?

The early years of cryonics were grisly. All but one of the first frozen futurists failed in their quest for immortality.

Small freezing operations began in the late 1960s. While the practice of storing bodies has become more sophisticated over the past 50 years, in the early days, technicians cooled and prepared corpses with haste on dry ice before eventually cramming them into Dewar capsules. By and large, these “preservations” did not achieve preservation. They were nightmarish, gruesome failures. Their stories were researched and documented by people within the field, who published thorough and frank records.

The largest operation was run out of a cemetery in Chatsworth, California by a man named Robert Nelson. Four of his first clients were not initially frozen in LN but placed on a bed of dry ice in a mortuary. One of these bodies was a woman whose son decided to take her body back. He “hauled (his dead mother) around in a truck” on dry ice for some time before burying her.

Eventually, the mortician was not pleased with the other bodies sitting around on beds of ice, so a LN Dewar capsule was secured for the remaining three. Another man was already frozen and sealed inside the capsule, so it was opened, and he was removed. Nelson and the mortician then spent the entire night figuring out how to jam four people — who may or may not have suffered thaw damage — into the capsule. The arrangement of bodies in different orientations was described as a “puzzle.” After finding an arrangement that worked, the resealed capsule was lowered into an underground vault at the cemetery. Nelson claimed to have refilled it sporadically for about a year before he stopped receiving money from the relatives. After a while, he let the bodies thaw out inside the capsule and left the whole thing festering in his vault.

Another group of three, including an eight-year-old girl, was packed into a second capsule in the Chatsworth vault. The LN system of this capsule subsequently failed without Nelson noticing. Upon checking one day, he saw that everyone inside had long thawed out. The fate of these ruined bodies is unclear, but they might have been refrozen for several more years.

Nelson froze a six-year-old boy in 1974. The capsule itself was well maintained by the boy’s father, but when it was opened, the boy’s body was found to be cracked. The cracking could have occurred if the body was frozen too quickly by the LN. The boy was then thawed, embalmed, and buried. Now that there was a vacancy, a different man was placed into the leftover capsule, but ten months had elapsed between his death and freezing, so his body was in rotten shape — no pun intended — from the get-go and was eventually thawed.

Every cryonic client put into the vault at Chatsworth and looked after by Nelson eventually failed. The bodies inside the Dewar capsules were simply left to rot. Reporters visited the crypt where these failed operations had taken place and reported a horrifying stench. The proprietor admitted to failure, bad decisions, and going broke. He further pointed out, “Who can guarantee that you’re going to be suspended for 10 or 15 years?”

The worst fates of all occurred at a similar underground vault that stored bodies at a cemetery in Butler, New Jersey. The storage Dewar was poorly designed, with uninsulated pipes. This led to a series of incidents, at least one of which was failure of the vacuum jacket insulating the inside. The bodies in the container partially thawed, moved, and then froze again — stuck to the capsule like a child’s tongue to a cold lamp post. Eventually the bodies had to be entirely thawed to unstick, then re-frozen and put back in. A year later, the Dewar failed again, and the bodies decomposed into “a plug of fluids” in the bottom of the capsule. The decision was finally made to thaw the entire contraption, scrape out the remains, and bury them. The men who performed this unfortunate task had to wear a breathing apparatus.

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
I thought they had found a woolly mammoth 🦣 that had been preserved through freezing or something

I can guarantee it wasn't fully intact from the day it was frozen.

It had decomposed at least a little bit.

They find tissue on "dinosaur" bones buried deep in the ground as well.

Yaboysix

That nikka
Daps
Reppin
Tampa Florida
Naw they'll fix it. They fix everything eventually.
I think about this...then I think about nyggas like Steve jobs... BILLIONAIRES that got taken out young by cancer...if they had it like that he'd still be around....

Unless...he IS around and they had to play it off .....

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
Certain cell walls cannot withstand freezing, and thus when they thaw, there's nothing to keep them firm and stable. Peep what happens to certain fruits that are frozen and then thawed out, left all mushy.
I vaguely remember sometime from like 5th grade about cell walls. That’s was ages ago so don’t crucify me if I’m wrong :hubie:but animal cells don’t have cell wall right unlike the plant ones you’re talking about, so we should be good right :lupe: