So Jay-z Grammy Family freestyle was inspired by this painting?

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
Basquiat003.jpg

Inspired by Basquiat, my chariot's on fire
Everybody took shots, hit my body up, I'm tired

===

:leon:

I mean enough the statement ''most young kings get their head cut off'' sounds dope.

But FOH with that ''painting''. You can call me a philistine but I do not rate works of art which look like the handiwork of a child.

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:stopitslime: basquiat is overrated but you would not be able to come up with something like that if you spent a decade solely on it

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
You would be surprised on how much people pay for art that looks easy to do easy on the eyes.

art is anything, dont just think da vinci's work is the only kind of art, white paint splatter on black paper is art to some lul.

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
You would be surprised on how much people pay for art that looks easy to do easy on the eyes.

art is anything, dont just think da vinci's work is the only kind of art, white paint splatter on black paper is art to some lul.

I know but that's my point. Modern has become ridiculous.

Emin-My-Bed.jpg

^^

:childplease:

That's not a painting by the way. It's literally an unmade bed.

:stopitslime: basquiat is overrated but you would not be able to come up with something like that if you spent a decade solely on it

Why not? Who's to say this drawing by a six year old is not better?

Clapsteel O'Neal

Daps
Reppin
NULL
if it's so easy...you brehs do it and make some millis then :leon:

and breh, tracey emin gets shat on within the art community aswell...don't try to act like everyone :bow: to her art

and since when was art just paintings?

ok, I see the types i'm 'discussing' art with

next thing you'll tell me is that Picasso couldn't draw

*ejects self from the thread*

continue brehs

Clapsteel O'Neal

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why not? Who's to say this drawing by a six year old is not better?

Because the drawing has been thoroughly thought out, from the composition to the colour scheme and the marriage of concepts and specific symbols he's placed within his paintings. It's all deliberate. Basquiat usually placed well hidden symbols within his work that conveyed messages to graff artists of the time for example. Aesthetically, it looks simple yes....but I garauntee you wouldn't be able to do it yourself. There are many layers to it, and Basquiat is still overrated imo

egolessindigo

G O H A R D
Daps
Reppin
N E W W O R L D N Y
basquiat was brilliant, i mean your opinion is your opinion, but theres is a very profound reason as to why his art is worth 2 to 4 million a piece, his work is deceptively simple, deep beneath the layers of the art, is all kinds of knowledge of art history and technique, human history, consumerism(SAMO), secret societies, and just city life and street art in general. His goal was to expose the underlying brilliance in movements like hip hop, graffiti and street art, to me top 3 artists of all time in the world.
09_04.jpg

Clapsteel O'Neal

Daps
Reppin
NULL
basquiat was brilliant, i mean your opinion is your opinion, but theres is a very profound reason as to why his art is worth 2 to 4 million a piece, his work is deceptively simple, deep beneath the layers of the art, is all kinds of knowledge of art history and technique, human history, consumerism(SAMO), secret societies, and just city life and street art in general. His goal was to expose the underlying brilliance in movements like hip hop, graffiti and street art, to me top 3 artists of all time in the world.
09_04.jpg

:wtf: but like you saidf, your opinion is your opinion :manny:. I agree with the rest of your post though

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
On Tracy Emin: I did not say anywhere that art is just paintings. I was referring to the fact that an unmade bed was shortlisted for the Turner prize (to highlight my point that modern art is ridiculous).

As for Basquiat, there are a lot of people who draw sketches. Why is his work anymore ''well though-out'' than others? His success is not necessarily due to amazing talent. To be honest, I'm not familiar with his work but I fail to see what is so inspiring about the piece above.

It seems to me as if a bunch of elitist art agents and collectors decide what's ''hot'' and if you don't like it you probably ''don't get it''.

Clapsteel O'Neal

Daps
Reppin
NULL
On Tracy Emin: I did not say anywhere that art is just paintings. I was referring to the fact that an unmade bed was shortlisted for the Turner prize (to highlight my point that modern art is ridiculous).

As for Basquiat, there are a lot of people who draw sketches. Why is his work anymore ''well though-out'' than others? His success is not necessarily due to amazing talent. To be honest, I'm not familiar with his work but I fail to see what is so inspiring about the piece above.

It seems to me as if a bunch of elitist art agents and collectors decide what's ''hot'' and if you don't like it you probably ''don't get it''.

To the bolded, you asked why his painting is any better than the six year olds, I gave you reasons why. You didn't ask why his work should be thought of as being better than the majority of other artists. I've already stated twice that I think his work is overrated so.............?

about the tracey emin stuff, you said "That's not a painting by the way. It's literally an unmade bed.". Granted I made an assumption, but by saying that I just thought you believed painting was the only correct way of art. :manny: Pardon me on that one. Off topic the Turner prize is bollocks and should get the :scusthov: everytime

In regards to what's so inspiring about Basquiat's work...like you said, it wasn't soley down to his talents why he was so successful, but in general it was more to do with his timing. He came about when hip hop/graffiti was the fringe of society so he had alot of people :wtf::wtf::wtf: at his stuff cos it just seemed so left field. For me personally, it was because he put a lot of black culture and history in his work whilst managing to reach the level of fame he did (which not many black artists manage to do)

bcb

BG - It's All On U
Daps
Reppin
NY
:huhldup: @ the basquiat bashing
talkin bout you could come up with shyt like that at age 6...yall dont even understand the meanings and power behind it