So I just started lifting weights...

Roberto Dinero

Dropped from #TnT
Daps
Reppin
The Infamous World's End Houses
I've gotten back into exercising and working out for the last 3 months or so. I do a lot of cardio but no lifting. I just copped some dumbbells so I can lift at home cause I can't really afford gym fees at the moment.

Anyway, I'm trying to build up my arms and chest. I got strong triceps so I'm trying to focus on biceps and chest. How many reps should I do a day, to start with? The dumbbells I'm using weigh a total of 5kg each. Also, should I lift everyday or every other day?

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
5kg = 12 lbs :patrice:

I dont know what your budget is like, but if u want to get big (AND BALANCED) on a budget, I would hit upper body 3x/wk with the following routine

5 sets of dips
5 sets of chins
5 sets of lateral raises

Get a set of cheap adjustable dumbells, a dip/chin rack and a weight belt. Look on Craigslist or whatever they have where you are.

Roberto Dinero

Dropped from #TnT
Daps
Reppin
5kg = 12 lbs :patrice:

I dont know what your budget is like, but if u want to get big (AND BALANCED) on a budget, I would hit upper body 3x/wk with the following routine

5 sets of dips
5 sets of chins
5 sets of lateral raises

Get a set of cheap adjustable dumbells, a dip/chin rack and a weight belt. Look on Craigslist or whatever they have where you are.

At the moment all I have is the dumbbells so I'ma work on that for the time being. Some dude said to start with it would be good to do 3 sets of 10, curling with the dumbbells.

I wanna lift like 5 days a week or 4 at least. With my cardio, I do it 6 days a week so I'm happy with that. Just wanna build up my arms and chest a lot more.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
At the moment all I have is the dumbbells so I'ma work on that for the time being. Some dude said to start with it would be good to do 3 sets of 10, curling with the dumbbells.

I wanna lift like 5 days a week or 4 at least. With my cardio, I do it 6 days a week so I'm happy with that. Just wanna build up my arms and chest a lot more.
Nutrition?

If you aren't eating optimal it will be easy to not see results because cardio is going to eat a lot of the nutrients that could cause growth

Roberto Dinero

Dropped from #TnT
Daps
Reppin
Nutrition?

If you aren't eating optimal it will be easy to not see results because cardio is going to eat a lot of the nutrients that could cause growth

I'm not trying to get big, I'm already big. I'm trying to get strong. I'm not trying to bulk up, just trying to get stronger/more ripped. But hey, I appreciate all advice and input, so thanks.

My nutrition is not too bad. I don't necessarily eat healthy but I eat mostly protein and carbohydrates.

Roberto Dinero

Dropped from #TnT
Daps
Reppin
So today was day one.

Did 30 reps for my biceps.
30 for my triceps.
30 for my chest.

Is this a good start? I'ma keep doing this for this week, then step it up to 50 reps for each muscle next week. If I do these same muscles like 4 to 5 times a week, is that cool? Or should I give more resting time to my body in between?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
So today was day one.

Did 30 reps for my biceps.
30 for my triceps.
30 for my chest.

Is this a good start? I'ma keep doing this for this week, then step it up to 50 reps for each muscle next week. If I do these same muscles like 4 to 5 times a week, is that cool? Or should I give more resting time to my body in between?

you need heavier dumbells breh.....

if you cant afford that....do push-ups...dips....and pull-ups...

Roberto Dinero

Dropped from #TnT
Daps
Reppin
you need heavier dumbells breh.....

if you cant afford that....do push-ups...dips....and pull-ups...

They're adjustable. I think the top weight is 20 kg for each dumbbell. I just wanted to start off a little slow, don't wanna jump into doing 15 to 20 kg's straight away.

But what do you think about my routine so far? Will those kinds of reps and sets get me stronger?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
They're adjustable. I think the top weight is 20 kg for each dumbbell. I just wanted to start off a little slow, don't wanna jump into doing 15 to 20 kg's straight away.

But what do you think about my routine so far? Will those kinds of reps and sets get me stronger?

its cool...but i would say raise the weight to where it gets tough around rep 15....

TRBM

See me, only me...
Daps
Not enough volume, add more reps

Is that 30 reps strAight?

Add dips, push ups as well

Bledswole

Slappin and clowning chumps for fun.
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Not enough volume bro, you gonna have to figure something out,yea its a good start to get you back in the swing of things,but its gonna become more of an endurance thing instead of building strength and size thing

Roberto Dinero

Dropped from #TnT
Daps
Reppin
Not enough volume, add more reps

Is that 30 reps strAight?

Add dips, push ups as well

10 reps about a 20 second break, another 10 reps 20 second break and 10 reps.

Not enough volume bro, you gonna have to figure something out,yea its a good start to get you back in the swing of things,but its gonna become more of an endurance thing instead of building strength and size thing

I will definitely add more weight to it, but the 1st couple of weeks I will keep it at 5 kg each dumbbell.

Exiled Martian

Was young I couldn't do good, now I can't do Bad
Daps
Reppin
Swag-hili Shores
I'm not trying to get big, I'm already big. I'm trying to get strong. I'm not trying to bulk up, just trying to get stronger/more ripped. But hey, I appreciate all advice and input, so thanks.

My nutrition is not too bad. I don't necessarily eat healthy but I eat mostly protein and carbohydrates.

:usure:

Too much epic fail in one post. So wait there, you want to get stronger/more ripped using feather duster dumb bells. On a level there is no excuse for not getting a gym membership, don''t be a TRAMP... them council gyms (pulse point centres) are peanuts to join.

You doing yourself a major disservice by adhering to the current regime. You ain't going to get stronger/ripped (which is predominantly diet related) peddling p*ssyboi 5KG dumbells from Argos :mjlol:

Read & Heed (Future Blue Print To A Bigger Better You) This Below When You Ready ;

If you want to get STRONG /RIPPED (in due time as you currently haven't got enough lean body mass to cut on yet..I saw your pic in TLR) you need to focus on compound lifts that allow you to lift the most weight with the most muscles (squats, bench, military press, deadlift, rows, etc). The reason for this is because as a novice trainee you need to stimulate your body to release as much testosterone as possible, & the studies have shown that maximum tension (weight) on the biggest muscles is the best way to do it.

You'll immediately (2-4 weeks in) see some big differences. The reps are lower, and you start each day with a heavy compound lift. After that you do other movements that hit lots of different muscles in a strategic way. Instead of wailing on a single area for a whole session, leaving you sore for days afterwards, you'll switch around a bit between different muscles. You'll still do the same amount of work on a given muscle, but it will be split up throughout the week. This gives you better results without leaving you so sore in specific places that you're in pain for days afterwards.

Now that you'll be training like a beast, you need to eat like a beast. It's time to get the calories in. Healthy eating is always better, but many people find they have trouble reaching their calorie and size goals if they only eat healthy foods. If that's the case, then feel free to toss in some not so healthy foods to fill out your calorie count. Either way, eat more than you are know, and get stronger by either using more weight or doing more reps every time you do a movement (if possible), and you'll be happy as a clam when you look in the mirror in a few months.....Take advantage of this winter season & Bulk hard FuKK the haters & sceptics, put on some size & trim down later, no point doing all that cardio now with nothing underneath to reveal... you going to end up looking skinny fat as fukk with a frail posture.

Good luck

Last edited: