So, folks who have been through slow gentrification, are these the early signs?

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
So, I was just wondering should I expect a bunch of hipsters with thick rimmed glasses, annoying bicyclists, perpetual 'writers/poets', farm to table restaurants, etc in my hood soon? For those who have been through this, let me know if these are the early signs:

• Two weeks ago they had a "zoning" meeting and had posters plastered around about it but it was during work hours and I didn't get to go to the two meetings. I wanted to just to see what was going on in my nieghborhood.
  • They recently paved the roads and are adding bike lanes to sort of a square radius around my apartment complex and only to a certain block that if you were to go outside that box you're in a visibly segmented part of the town.
  • They built a new fire station
  • They are expanding a little shopping area near my apartment.
I don't neccessarily live in the hood and live in a very nice place but its still a predominately black/hispanic/immigrant area and I would say most people in the area are probably either within the 30-60K income level. However, I am worried about rises in rent and the change in the neighborhood.

Last edited:

TheIsleofMan

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We really noticed when The Clintons moved in, More cops, more cameras, colleges start expanding to your area, when the city starts taking land and
yes, rent hikes. Best buy, the Gap, Red freaking Lobster.

606onit

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Passport Abuse
:yes:

They finna take over Uptown Chicago. :snoop: once they fix that Wilson station, it's a WRAP for anyone darker than a grocery bag.

ZEupTWN

Mid|Range|Game|
Daps
yep all them mixed income/section 8 apartments about to get slowly transitioned into luxury/high end housing....you think they invested in all that remodeling for nothing....

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
shyt is in progress here in Detroit....:manny:

Hate to say it but it needs it...not so much that it needs white people....it needs money people.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
white people are money people until blacks start using group economics and ownership of their own communities

yup, and i don't care. Detroit barely has any of the culture left that made it what it was. They aren't gonna tear down Motown and they will always build cars here. We been a majority black city ran by black folks of all walks of life for decades and you know what happened, the black folks with money abandoned it. Now they are the main ones crying fowl that the city wont be the black bastion of industry anymore.

News Flash, it hasn't been for 30 years. They left in WAVES in the 90's and early 2000's they were quick to talk shyt about their former hoods instead of trying to invest in them, then talked shyt when the Arabs came and cornered the gas/commodities market here. A city doesn't belong to a race or a group it belongs to the natives and the people who are there to invest in it and improve its services. I could care less about what race you are if you fukk with Detroit i'm down with you.

The ISSUE is the young whites that have latched on to the city seeking some sort of validation the same way they did Wicker Park in chicago...as if living in a shytty area somehow makes you more of a man/woman. Thats bull. But if you TRULY have a love for this city, and people who do love it like a mother loving a ugly baby, then i will welcome you with open arms. I want to see Detroit survive. fukk the people who left it to rot, and a special fukk you to the Police and Fire unions that killed residency requirements sending millions of tax dollars away to the burbs.

cleanface coney

Superstar
Daps
yup, and i don't care. Detroit barely has any of the culture left that made it what it was. They aren't gonna tear down Motown and they will always build cars here. We been a majority black city ran by black folks of all walks of life for decades and you know what happened, the black folks with money abandoned it. Now they are the main ones crying fowl that the city wont be the black bastion of industry anymore.

News Flash, it hasn't been for 30 years. They left in WAVES in the 90's and early 2000's they were quick to talk shyt about their former hoods instead of trying to invest in them, then talked shyt when the Arabs came and cornered the gas/commodities market here. A city doesn't belong to a race or a group it belongs to the natives and the people who are there to invest in it and improve its services. I could care less about what race you are if you fukk with Detroit i'm down with you.

The ISSUE is the young whites that have latched on to the city seeking some sort of validation the same way they did Wicker Park in chicago...as if living in a shytty area somehow makes you more of a man/woman. Thats bull. But if you TRULY have a love for this city, and people who do love it like a mother loving a ugly baby, then i will welcome you with open arms. I want to see Detroit survive. fukk the people who left it to rot, and a special fukk you to the Police and Fire unions that killed residency requirements sending millions of tax dollars away to the burbs.

:yeshrug: dey aint eem know

DirtyDee

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
It's happening in Oakland, and it has the black community's collective heads spinning at how quickly it's taking place.
When i first moved to Oakland, downtown was empty at night, now, when i leave my bar, there are frat boy looking dudes and blond chicks everywhere.
The rent/real estate is also blowin up in the Lake Merritt, Uptown and Temescal(North Oakland, really) parts of the town.

From what i've seen, it start like this:
- Coffee shop in the cut
-More coffee shops near the first one, but each new joint tries to offer more natural foods than the one before it
-Restored lofts in industrial neighborhoods
-Community gardens
-Neighborhood watch (complete with an email group where they can report suspicious activities)
-Vegan/macrobiotic/sustainable restaurants (many of these will b*stardize ethnic foods)
-Music venues/bars that only play rock/alternative music
-Beer gardens that sell mostly craft beers

Those are usually the symptoms of of gentrification, and by the time you get to the rock music venues/bars, it's a wrap...

BezO

Highbrow
Daps
Reppin
NYC -> DC
So, I was just wondering should I expect a bunch of hipsters with thick rimmed glasses, annoying bicyclists, perpetual 'writers/poets', farm to table restaurants, etc in my hood soon? For those who have been through this, let me know if these are the early signs:

• Two weeks ago they had a "zoning" meeting and had posters plastered around about it but it was during work hours and I didn't get to go to the two meetings. I wanted to just to see what was going on in my nieghborhood.
  • They recently paved the roads and are adding bike lanes to sort of a square radius around my apartment complex and only to a certain block that if you were to go outside that box you're in a visibly segmented part of the town.
I don't neccessarily live in the hood and live in a very nice place but its still a predominately black/hispanic/immigrant area and I would say most people in the area are probably either within the 30-60K income level. However, I am worried about rises in rent and the change in the neighborhood.
I don't think any of those are clear signs.

#1 could be anything from community concerns to new development.
#2 could be anything as well. 5 or so blocks of the strip I work on were repaved, all in front of commercial buildings. The area is already well developed, and the nearby residential areas are already expensive. And bike lanes are more about bike enthusiast pushing for safer streets.
#3 could be anything.
#4 is about the only sign, but not definite.

I live in an area that is clearly gentrifying. Prior to me buying in the area, it was one of the highest crime areas in the city. What happened next was...

Heavy police presence. For a short time, they were stopping folks entering the neighborhood, asking where folks were going, ID, etc. Apartheid type shyt. Needless to say, that ended quickly.

Next, people began to invest in the neighborhood. Trolly tracks on the nearby strip. Trolly supposedly coming soon. More businesses on that same strip. New supermarket on that strip. New apartment building. Hood nail salon replaced by nice 7-11 across from that building. Farmer's market nearby. Then house after house being renovated. Apartment buildings renovated & turned into condos.

Unfortunately, more whites buying than Blacks. What was once an almost all Black neighborhood is probably now 10% white. I've only been there 3 years. Prices are up about 60-80% since I bought. When I told one of my boys that used to work for City Planning, he was like, "Yo! You're straight! There planning this & that..." Everything he said has come to fruition.

If you're seeing these signs, buy SOMETHING. Don't be one of the displaced folks, complaining. Check city records for development. All of it is public record. You won't see obvious specifics like "new condo being built", but you'll see what happens prior. I still need to talk to my boy about it, but I'm guess things like large sewage projects and such.

DrX

Coming For The Crown (Japanese Dreaming)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

if i was u id invest in real estate in that area....he can eat off those dorks gawd