since we reminiscin' member when u 1st heard dis n da beginnin' of belly? (belly movie appreciation)

YourMumsRoom

Black Excellence
Daps
Reppin
Where I shouldn't be
I'm old enough to remember the Summer it came out and watching the video on 'Top Of The Pops' on a Thursday night.

Even as a kid, I knew it was something soulful and powerful. :wow:In some ways it opened me up to a lot of the underground Black British music I got into in later years.

One of my favourite songs of all time.

Jazzie B & Caron Wheeler :goatsalute:

Perfect movie opening. The body going through the glass synchronised with the beat drop :banderas:
Wow, you going back bruh. 87/89 the year my siblings were born. A great time to be alive in the UK. :salute:

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
Wow, you going back bruh. 87/89 the year my siblings were born. A great time to be alive in the UK. :salute:

I was just having a convo with my bredrin last night about how acts from that era like Sade, Loose Ends and Omar kind of get swept under the carpet, in the canon of British music these days (:mjpls:), but they're beloved by and influential to music heads of a certain age in The States.

but yeah - it was undoubtedly one of the best periods for Black music in the UK.

Apologies for the segue, OP.

YourMumsRoom

Black Excellence
Daps
Reppin
Where I shouldn't be
I was just having a convo with my bredrin last night about how acts from that era like Sade, Loose Ends and Omar kind of get swept under the carpet, in the canon of British music these days (:mjpls:), but they're beloved by and influential to music heads of a certain age in The States.

but yeah - it was undoubtedly one of the best periods for Black music in the UK.

Apologies for the segue, OP.
it was crazy period with more ethnic shows then even now, with Desmonds, the Real McKoy and the Lenny Henry Show
And your right, they didnt sell massive at all in the UK but left a huge mark and were the forerunners to Incognito, Jamiroquai and Brand New Heavies.
My mother said I used to kiss the TV as a lil kid when Sade was on. :snoop:

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
it was crazy period with more ethnic shows then even now, with Desmonds, the Real McKoy and the Lenny Henry Show
And your right, they didnt sell massive at all in the UK but left a huge mark and were the forerunners to Incognito, Jamiroquai and Brand New Heavies.
My mother said I used to kiss the TV as a lil kid when Sade was on. :snoop:

Loved all those shows. I was legit hurt when I found out Felix Dexter passed.

It got to a point when they just decided that mainstream British culture was the only thing worth representing and that everything else would just be satellites of that. Basically it's a reflection of the cast of Eastenders. Mainly White, but with the odd bit of diversity in guys like Winston who stand in the corner of the Queen Vic and get one line every 6 months.

Wow - I just looked up 'British Soul Singers' on Google. The first 7 listed are White and all came up in the past 15 years - apart from Dusty Springfield. We lost. :mjcry:

The soul cats definitely left a blueprint for any singers coming up in London who wanted to follow it, though. Lynden David Hall, Hil St. Soul, Gabrielle, Des'Ree - that generation used it for sure.

There's a reason why the gawd Prince messes with a bunch of singers from the UK. Liane La Havas, Beverly Knight and all them. shyt - I ended up sitting next to Corinne Bailey Rae at one of his gigs in 07 and she performed at his after party that night.

You obviously had good taste as a lad :obama: