Signing to Def Jam was the best thing to happen to Nas

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
It was a good thing, it gave him platforms to make hiphop about music dying, racial issues and shyt like that and still having as big budgets as Ludacris who raps about chicken and strippers. I seriously doubt that Nas is bringing in any real profits to def jam, he just strengthens the brand a lot.

And Distant Relatives was a on both Def Jam and Universal Republic.

Lol @ you dudes thinking that Def Jam just was gonna let their artist go to other labels and release albums?
It was Def Jam for Nas and Universal Republic for Damian. Just like WTT was Roc-a-fella/Def Jam for Kanye and Roc Nation for Jay-z

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
It was the best option at the time. Columbia was making him go back and record Streets Disciple and still didnt really promote after it the album had dropped. That label was also embroiled in payola scandals and it seemed like they were headed in a R&B direction anyway.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I'll give props to Def Jam for letting Nas do what he wanted...but I'm moreso disappointed in the results. Life Is Good really has me re-evaluating Nas' stuff. The production is just so dope, and you can tell that him having a dope executive producer to help pick beats worked wonders.

Untitled has some great shyt on it, but just doesn't feel...daring. Yea the message is hard but it never truly lived up to the controversy. Whereas that Killer Mike album this year sounds like some 90s Ice Cube shyt. I was hoping for something like that from Nas.

HHID...eh, just has too many questionable beats for me brehs. Once again it has good tracks, but I feel like the actual music didn't live up to the message/concept.

Whereas Life Is Good feels like it truly matches Nas' vision. On one hand it's celebratory, a return to form. On the other hand it's quite a scathing piece of art aimed at his ex, all without ever feeling petty or misogynist. It's a growm man venting, basically. He romanticizes the past era while reflecting on his current situation. Dope shyt.

Last point: I hope this Def Jam trilogy is the end of concept albums for him. I'd prefer the next album just to flow together, have dope beats, and just be solid. Life Is Good is just the beginning.

nalej

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Seatown
I don't remember Untitled or HHID being that good but after reading TS's raves I might have to recheck them.

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
I'll give props to Def Jam for letting Nas do what he wanted...but I'm moreso disappointed in the results. Life Is Good really has me re-evaluating Nas' stuff. The production is just so dope, and you can tell that him having a dope executive producer to help pick beats worked wonders.

Untitled has some great shyt on it, but just doesn't feel...daring. Yea the message is hard but it never truly lived up to the controversy. Whereas that Killer Mike album this year sounds like some 90s Ice Cube shyt. I was hoping for something like that from Nas.

HHID...eh, just has too many questionable beats for me brehs. Once again it has good tracks, but I feel like the actual music didn't live up to the message/concept.

Whereas Life Is Good feels like it truly matches Nas' vision. On one hand it's celebratory, a return to form. On the other hand it's quite a scathing piece of art aimed at his ex, all without ever feeling petty or misogynist. It's a growm man venting, basically. He romanticizes the past era while reflecting on his current situation. Dope shyt.

Last point: I hope this Def Jam trilogy is the end of concept albums for him. I'd prefer the next album just to flow together, have dope beats, and just be solid. Life Is Good is just the beginning.

I liked untitled bc it was very poetic and more intellectual than some of his other stuff. I guess people were expecting a more public enemy approach but it had dope lyrics

How could I not be dead?
This old German
Said I was a thug with a knotty head
Looked at my Benz and called that a Nazi sled
With a face like he wonder where I got my bread

I agree with on hoping that he stops making concept albums. I like them but i would love for nas to do his next record full of anthems, street and club bangers. some "hate me now" or "the general" type stuff I just wanna see nas go ham over some top notch production

Daps
Reppin
NULL
honestly jay dropping takeover was the best thing to happen to nas and hip hop........i hate to say it but b4 that nas was lost artistically and he was dropping corn chips like

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgszbNKxO2"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

takeover put the fire back in my man and the rest is history...thanks jay

Adidastar

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
honestly jay dropping takeover was the best thing to happen to nas and hip hop........i hate to say it but b4 that nas was lost artistically and he was dropping corn chips like

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

takeover put the fire back in my man and the rest is history...thanks jay

That just ain't true. I Am got bootlegged so he scrapped the double album (which most of us heard) and recorded new shyt that became the rush job known as Nastradamus--his most maligned album. If Last Words, Family, Come Get Me, Life We Chose aint "fire in him" I don't know what is. He had already made Blaze a 50, Doo Rags, You Gotta Love it, Wanna Play Rough, Black Zombies, etc. during that same time frame so how did Jay-Z have anything to do with him? The shyt is pure MYTH.......if he lost any fire then it was due to his mom bein diagnosed with breast cancer. Jay just came playin games at the wrong time.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
That just ain't true. I Am got bootlegged so he scrapped the double album (which most of us heard) and recorded new shyt that became the rush job known as Nastradamus--his most maligned album. If Last Words, Family, Come Get Me, Life We Chose aint "fire in him" I don't know what is. He had already made Blaze a 50, Doo Rags, You Gotta Love it, Wanna Play Rough, Black Zombies, etc. during that same time frame so how did Jay-Z have anything to do with him? The shyt is pure MYTH.......if he lost any fire then it was due to his mom bein diagnosed with breast cancer. Jay just came playin games at the wrong time.
your opinion...........i still say jay trying to kick nas while he was down brought the best out of him and made him dig deep back to the nas we knew b4 he started dropping them corn chip songs.......