Signing to Def Jam was the best thing to happen to Nas

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
I really havn't commented on LIG and It took me a while to warm up to it. But after playing this non stop for the past few weeks I can confidantly say it is a classic album. It is just so well put together and probably the most balanced album Nas has ever came out with. Its also his most personal, we got to see a side of Nas that he rarely shows.

Looking back i am really happy with how Def Jam has treated Nas as a veteran artist and they never really forced him to put radio songs on his albums. As an outsider looking in it feels like he had complete creative control to do what he felt and probably threw in 1 or 2 radio friendly songs to appease the label but overall his albums on def jam have been great

Hip Hop is Dead
Untitled/N*****
Distant Relatives
Life is Good

Looking at these 4 albums seperatley each had an whole different vibe to them. Each with its own direction and subject matter. Unlike most mainstream artist these days that is just a grab bag of club songs and street anthems using the same hot for the year R&B singer on the hook.

Its sad and inspiring at the same time that a 20 year vet like Nas is one of the few artist out there that can maintain their individuality and still sell records. Looking at this stellar run on def jam I feel like we were cheated on his earlier years. Illmatic and IWW were of course classic but after that it seems like the label was trying to force him to fit in whatever was popping. Nas is obviously at his best when you let him do his thing and be creative.

HHID is a very dope album to me. A lot of dope concepts like who killed it and some of his best storytelling tracks like you cant kill me.He created a controversy with the industry and looking back on it he was right. N**** is one of my favorite hip hop albums period. He dropped so much knowledge on there without being overly corny and the first rapper in a long time to make a social statement like that. DR i thought was classic. i am a big damien marley fan and it was a hard thing to pull off. That album just feels good with the live instruments and a very positive album in a market where all the music is subconciously very negative.

Life is Good sealed the deal on the GOAT conversation as far as Im concerned. grand opening grand closing. At this point he is just putting so much distance between himself and other top artist who are stuck trying to recreate the past. Nas continues to put hip hop on his back (bringing back large proffessor, sampling old school classics), pushing the genre into new directions while not losing a step lyricaly. Even looking at his features the past year he is just killing MCs on a track. Nas is pushing 40 and sounding better than the young boys he rhymes with.

One of my fav Nas lines is "They thought I'll make another "Illmatic"
But it's always forward I'm moving
Never backwards stupid here's another classic "

i think that says it all. Sorry for the long rant but in an era where most labels are known for fukking over their artist im really glad def jam treated his projects so well. We got some great music out of it

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
i think he was pretty much going in this direction no matter who he was signed with. he has stuck with pretty much the same producers since before he was with Def Jam, as far as Salaam Remi etc goes the obvious exception now being NoID. i'm not sure that Def Jam did anything that significant for him, like he couldn't get a Rick Ross feature or do an album with Damian Marley without them.

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
i think he was pretty much going in this direction no matter who he was signed with. he has stuck with pretty much the same producers since before he was with Def Jam, as far as Salaam Remi etc goes the obvious exception now being NoID. i'm not sure that Def Jam did anything that significant for him, like he couldn't get a Rick Ross feature or do an album with Damian Marley without them.

no your kidding your self if you really think we would have got these same 4 albums had he still been signed to columbia

Zach Lowe

what up beck
Daps
Def Jam is just another faceless major label like Columbia

Matter of fact Columbia might have more of a franchise going on cuz of Rick Rubin

Everyone from the old Def Jam left

I wouldn't credit Def Jam with anything to do with Nas's career

Clem

Get out my way, pimpin'.
Daps
Reppin
California
You know the character from the Fast and Furious series is Brian O'Conner right?

biglescobar

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Distant Relatives was on Universal Republic and had zero to do with Def Jam, they let him do it but it didn't count towards his contract and DefJam had no input or influence on it....

MR. Conclusion

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Life is Good sealed the deal on the GOAT conversation as far as Im concerned. grand opening grand closing.

Before this album, I had a rotation of Nas, Jay, Biggie, and Pac for the GOAT spot. But this album just solidified his GOAT status. I know Jay gotta be scrambling trying to figure out how to top this.

"You 16, you could do 20 come home young,
Catch 20 years when you 40? Homes, you're done!"

:whoo:

"I use to be Olu's son now he's Nas father,
I was the seed he was the wise gardener"

:mindblown:

Man these lyrics are like Christmas in July.

criminology

hearse initiator
Daps
Reppin
Diamonds & Wood
The problem with Nas on columbia is that his shyt was leaked. His career would have had a much different trajectory had I Am... not leaked so terribly. People think he fell off then, and publicly he did. Now I realize that during that time he was making some of his best music. For me the weakest time for Nas was after God Son through Untitled. I like untitled but compared to LIG its uneven, and I think and SD and HHID are pretty mediocre. I called it when SD came out and it's proven true now. Kelis was the problem.

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
Def Jam did that what they could for Nasir. Before he signed with them Nas was reaching the point of being irrelevant (at least commercially and in the streets). Street's Disciple was only 5 on the charts and God's Son was only 12. He was reaching that period where he would always go gold because of his core but none of the teenyboppers would check for him. Signed with Def Jam fresh off the historic scene with Jigga. Got two number one albums out the deal (maybe another one with LIG) and got the respect back of the masses who gave him what he honestly deserve. The greatest lyricist ever to bless a mic. Maybe not the greatest rapper ever when u consider hooks and beat choice and all that stuff. But lyrically this album reinforced that Nas when motivated is the one true Hip-Hop poet we have ever seen.

Dog Holiday

Daps
Reppin
Stockport England
Nas is his own worst enemy, one minute i'm defending him because he is by far one of the most talented RAPPERS i've heard the next i'm shaking my head at his beat choices.concepts.

When he just raps not many can compete but he only gets on my nerves cos i'm a fan, if i wasn't i wouldn't get frustrated.

I wasn't lookin for life is good to be much, and it's no classic but damn if he isn't RAPPING on this.

Plus Def Jam had no impact on him as an artist and HHID is his worst album.

Dog Holiday

Daps
Reppin
Stockport England
Street's Disciple was only 5 on the charts and God's Son was only 12. He was reaching that period where he would always go gold because of his core but none of the teenyboppers would check for him. Sig.

WTF god's son went double platinum and teenyboppers have never checked for him.

criminology

hearse initiator
Daps
Reppin
Diamonds & Wood
Nas is his own worst enemy, one minute i'm defending him because he is by far one of the most talented RAPPERS i've heard the next i'm shaking my head at his beat choices.concepts.

When he just raps not many can compete but he only gets on my nerves cos i'm a fan, if i wasn't i wouldn't get frustrated.

I wasn't lookin for life is good to be much, and it's no classic but damn if he isn't RAPPING on this.

Plus Def Jam had no impact on him as an artist and HHID is his worst album.

I agree about HHID. Nastradamus had some weak joints but nothing on HHID even approaches Project Windows.

But I think LIG will go down as a classic. If any other rapper dropped something like worlds an addiction, people would be shocked, but coming from Nas it's just another great song. Hoping he can drop another album before 2016.

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
To my knowledge God's Son only was certified platinum and teenyboppers checked for Nas. How u think he went platinum. He may not have crossover appeal like some rappers. But he did have commercial success and was in a couple movies so he was pretty popular. And we all know young white girls buy albums. And i would adventure to say out of he one million albums sold at least 400,000 were brought by teenagers. Come on now we know as much as nikkas say they fukk with certain artists to the fullest they still ain't going to Best Buy to cop that Cd when it comes out when they can have it downloaded in a matter of minutes from the comfort of their home.

TMillzy

Pro
Daps
Distant relatives wasnt on defjam, it was universal republic