Should rest days be routine, or only when you feel like it?

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
Sometimes I don't feel like taking days off???
Should I make it regular to do so or only when I feel like I need to?

Last edited:

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Every 6 weeks take a week off
I like this

I have found my joints and nervous system don't like me to hit things more than 2x/week.... your mileage may vary. Best way to see is to experiment.... try 6-8 week training block where you workout every day, try another one where you hit everything 2x etc etc. I think for 99% of people 2x/wk is the magic number which will mean 2-3 rest days. Perfect time to do some cardio :smile:

Daps
Good question...I guess if your body is asking for it then rest it but some people don't know when their body is asking for it! So in that case it's easier to have a set day or 2 off....But I do think if you train properly and have a good split then you can go a few weeks before the need for a rest day....If you know what your body is telling you and you can tell the difference between muscle soreness from a good session or a muscle pain from over training then rest when you need to.

Cake

Banned
Daps
Starting to question whether any of you nikkas actually lift. Talking about taking off days because your joints hurt lol.

You need to give every muscle you work at least one day of rest so you can recover.

And when your cns starts feeling run down take a full weekend off and just sleep and chill and reboot.

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
I have to assume some of you people are on a split right? like, chest tri on Monday, back bi on Tuesday, Abs/shoulders/legs on Wednesday, then repeat right?

Because if not, then you ABSOLUTELY need rest days for a routine - specifically if you are on a full-body or push pull routine.