Should I fire her or nah?

ellessij

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Hey ladies! Need some advice from my brehettes.

So, since I finished up my LLB, I've been training at a law firm, it doesn't pay the best, so I kept a second job that pays pretty well, part time. Both jobs are demanding, and require a lot of focus, I barely have any free time. I'm currently saving for my L.E.C. so I don't want to drop one of the jobs. I hired a babysitter to stay with my son during the week, five days a week. She's off on Sunday and whatever day she chooses in the week. She'll tell me the week before if she has anything going on, and we work around her schedule.

I make sure my son and I have breakfast together every morning and dinner together at least three times a week. I work late maybe 3-4 nights a week. Sunday is our day, where he choose what he wants to do. I left work early last week and took him to see Justice League and gave her the afternoon off. Side step: Do any of you busy Moms have any advice on how to cramp more time with your kids into a hectic ass schedule?

ANYWAY, the issue! Her daughter is pregnant, five months along. She's 19. Whenever I come home, her daughter is usually at my place. That's fine, I don't care. I have explained at length to the babysitter that I give her the option to choose her day off the week before, because my schedule is super strict. I also work in a firm that's basically all men, and I am judged so much harder on everything I do, every time I leave early, or because "my babysitter flaked." It makes me look unprofessional.

She has taken numerous days off because of her daughter's pregnancy. She must be present at all doctor appointments, clinic visits, ultrasounds, if her daughter is feeling off, she takes the day off. I told her earlier this week, I have a VERY BIG MEETING on Friday and I cannot miss it. I called her a few times this morning, no answer. I got a call from her daughter's father telling me their daughter isn't well, and so she took her to the doctor. Now, I get it. I've been pregnant, it's hard....BUT I mean, DAMN, your daughter is not a damn egg! She says oh she's young, she's fragile. I'll be honest, it takes a lot for me to say, "She wasn't too fragile to take that ddiiiiiiccckkkk!" But I don't. Lol. I don't understand, am I overreacting? Am I not being understanding? I mean, the baby daddy is also present at all the appointments, etc. It's not as if her daughter is alone.

I had to call out of work because my son is already on Christmas break, and I have no one to leave him with last minute. This reflects poorly on me at work, but I mean, they literally called to tell me this late this morning. I don't know if I should just fire her, or talk to her about this situation? I feel like an a$$hole being like, "You need to come to work and not jump at everything for your pregnant daughter," BUT I also can't look unprofessional at work, it's messing with my reputation.

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
Maybe it's her first grandchild and she wants to be a part of every aspect of her daughters pregnancy :yeshrug:.

Ms.CuriousCat

All Star
Daps
Is there anything you would want your boss to do for you regarding your childcare complications? Is there any way of applying that in your babysitter situation?

ellessij

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Is there anything you would want your boss to do for you regarding your childcare complications? Is there any way of applying that in your babysitter situation?

I want him to be understanding BUT I have never had to take a day off because I choose to, it's usually due to my babysitter's inconsistency with coming to work.

If she’s this involved in the pregnancy, a whole infant is only going to make matters worse. I would find someone else or maybe keep her part time and hire another part time, that way you have two people on deck. You need someone who is more reliable.

Oh crap. I didn't even think of her availability when the baby is actually born. You're right. I will start looking for someone new. Ugh, I hate this process.

Daps
you better find another sitter ASAP. i'm sure she knows the situation with your job and how it is not flexible (otherwise why would you have hired her?). while there isn't anything wrong with her wanting to be involved with her first grandkid, what is wrong is her not communicating with you her plans, which jeopardizes your job and your career.

do not wait another minute longer on finding a backup because once it gets closer to the due date she may leave you hanging.

ellessij

All Star
Supporter
Daps
you better find another sitter ASAP. i'm sure she knows the situation with your job and how it is not flexible (otherwise why would you have hired her?). while there isn't anything wrong with her wanting to be involved with her first grandkid, what is wrong is her not communicating with you her plans, which jeopardizes your job and your career.

do not wait another minute longer on finding a backup because once it gets closer to the due date she may leave you hanging.
Have a talk with her

Find u a new sitter immediately

You need to be looking for a new sitter. She's gonna be more unreliable after the baby is born.

Thanks SO much you guys! I guess, I just HATE firing people. I try to think of it from their perspectives. I know she's 58 years old, she's struggling. I guess I feel bad just dropping her, but I suppose sometimes you have to put your big girl pants on and do what you have to do.

Raava

Staff member
Daps
You need a new sitter. Start looking ASAP she is going to cost you your job. You should talk to her in the meantime but I would still get someone else as soon as possible. You aren’t overacting at all. At doesn’t matter why you take off most jobs don’t care you still took off regardless.