Should an adult child tell their parent they're wrong?

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Or should a child always stay in their place. Even as adult? Should parents in essence be treated as the pope. Words, infallible? Or is it ok to tell your parents they are wrong?

My mother is a nag. And she was going off on my sister today. I normally just keep quiet and let them do their thing. But today she went too far. Calling my sister an evil person. She just kept going and going.

My mother and sister have had their bouts in the past. Hurting each other. But today it was just too far. So I couldn't take it and told her to quit picking on her. Yeah, I know, normally I would scared she would slap me into next week. But I just hate people who bully other people. My pops joined in and called told my mama to "Shut up!! Shut up! Let it go". Of course, she pulled the black woman "it's my mouth and I can say what I want". So, I told her she was wrong for calling my sister evil. And that it was actually evil to keeping holding onto things of the past. And pretending like the issue they was arguing about was real issue. When it really about stuff that happen before.

She pulled the "I don't wanna hear it from you. You don't tell me what to do. You're my child."

My sister went out to the car and 20 minutes later my moms was on the phone. She hugged my moms, then me and told I was the best brother ever.

Again, I've never challenged my moms like that. But at the same time, I don't regret it. And would do it again. We're cool now but I could see some saying you should never talk back to your mother no matter what. What do yall think? Not about this issue specifically (unless you want to). But just the concept in general of not challenging your parents.

1 other person

Superstar
Daps
Nah, sometimes you need to stand up to your parents. If you still live at home, think about moving. I remember being young living under my parents thumb. If I could do it all over again - I would be out of there sooooo fast. Just because you're my parent doesnt mean that I have to jump however high you say or jump off a bridge.

valet

Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Nah, sometimes you need to stand up to your parents. If you still live at home, think about moving. I remember being young living under my parents thumb. If I could do it all over again - I would be out of there sooooo fast. Just because you're my parent doesnt mean that I have to jump however high you say or jump off a bridge.
Yeah, I moved out. We couldn't see eye to eye. I was over hear b/c it's her birthday tommorrow.

valet

Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Respect the hand that raised you.
Does respect mean that they have free reign to say, do what they want b/c they're your parents? Can you respect and at the same disagree verbally? Or the two can't go together?

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
As long as you're not disrespectful with it, "fukk you bytch" or something like that, see no problem with it. Parents learn that at a certain point, their child develops a mind and an opinion of their own. This includes sometimes being able to call their own parents bullshyt out.

You can have differing opinions and debate them like adults, but still agree to disagree at the end and keep it with love.

Marco Zen

Black Privilege
Daps
Reppin
The Other A
Does respect mean that they have free reign to say, do what they want b/c they're your parents? Can you respect and at the same disagree verbally? Or the two can't go together?

If they raised you they sorta can say or do whatever they want and you should respect that especially if you're living with them.

You can respectfully disagree without crossing a certain line depending on the situation.

The example given in the OP to me seems like "putting mom in her place" ..I'm not familiar with doing that.

I guess you have your reasons though. :manny:

She has hers too. :francis: