Shark attacks 4 people back to back at Texas beach

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yeah I read if they bite a human it's because they think you're a fat seal. They take a bite and then are like :what:

By then you're bleeding out though. :francis:
I used to think that too but scientists are saying that’s not the case because of how a shark will approach biting a human, versus how violent they are with seal attacks.

They’re saying sharks consume creatures with high fat content and humans simply have too much bone and not enough juice. Drop one of these 350+ pd mfers in the eaters and they might get skinned though.

JealousOnesEn_V

HTX Certified
Daps
I did. What are you alluding to?

Nothing to do with “taste” as noted in the article

In it, the associate curator of vertebrate paleontology at the Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History, Dr Shelton Applegate, noted that it was his opinion that swimmers generally survived shark attacks because “Most of them [sharks] after they take the first bite, find they don’t like the taste and spit it out.”

With those caveats out of the way- when talking about the typical sharks people think of when discussing shark attacks (e.g. Great White’s and Tiger sharks), in a sense, yes, sharks do not like the way humans “taste”, but you’ll get a false impression if you stop reading here, because we’re not talking about the flavour of humans per se and sharks also seem to be weighing the risk vs. reward on this one.

Back to the idea that sharks don’t like the taste of humans. As mentioned, this idea has been around since at least the mid-20th century, but as experts such as Dr Daniel Bucher of Southern Cross University note, there is really very little evidence that the reason sharks don’t eat humans is because of our taste, in terms of flavour, at least.

While sharks do have taste buds that tell them a lot about the composition of the thing it’s tasting, distinct “flavour” does not seem to be a major factor that impacts whether a shark will eat something or not.

But we said at the beginning of all this that “in a sense” sharks don’t like the taste of humans, so what sense were we referring if they aren’t too particular on the flavour of something?

As alluded to, sharks don’t like the way many humans are built and it often requires a nibble for them to determine this fact.

So while it’s not true that the types of sharks that occasionally nibble on humans don’t like the taste of us, in terms of flavour, it is in a sense true that they don’t like the taste of us in terms of composition.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
You know I used to look down on lake 'beaches', but after going to clear water Florida, I gotta say those coastal beaches are overrated. Salty, can't swim, and warm. Maybe I need to experience a better beach?

Lake Michigan is cool, no sharks. You just gotta worry about bacteria.

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
I used to think that too but scientists are saying that’s not the case because of how a shark will approach biting a human, versus how violent they are with seal attacks.

They’re saying sharks consume creatures with high fat content and humans simply have too much bone and not enough juice. Drop one of these 350+ pd mfers in the eaters and they might get skinned though.

Scientists saying YOU BIG bytchES NEED TO STAY OUT THE WATER :damn:

Black Mamba

Superstar
Daps
We got people here slandering Orcas for these jackals
Orcas dont do that to people :mjpls: