Shadow of Mordor Official Thread

Ice Cold

King of Blades
Daps
For those that don't know this is a game by monolith which is kind of a mix of Assassin's Creed and Batman Arkham series you play the role of Talion a ranger who was killed and saved from death by a wraith so now he's a half wraith half ranger out for revenge.

One of the interesing aspects of the game is it's Nemesis system basically the orcs you fight have there own personality traits and will have emergent gameplay based on that, for instance if they kill you they will rank up and gain power, you can also dominate orcs and have them rise up through the ranks but still follow your commands.

The review embargo ends Sept 25th I'm expecting reviews in the 85-95 range
I'm copping on release (Sept 30th) and I'll be streaming once I get off work

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
I'm taking a chance on it and buying day one as well. Physical format though since I don't want to be trapped with the game if it ends up being trash.

From what I've seen though the game looks like it will be fun.

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I'm going to wait and see what some of the reviews look like. If that Nemesis system is as good as they made it out to be, I expect the game to be really good. But it seems like the buzz around it kinda faded not too long after the reveal. So I really don't know what to expect. We'll see.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Go to many games to play as it is so will have to cop it as a flash sale on steam whenever it gets to that point

Ice Cold

King of Blades
Daps
Shadow of Mordor 101 video

Looks really good I must say

Word on the street is if this game does well they'll have a sequel with four playable characters they'll name it Straight out of Mordor early concept video

Some gifs
beheadings
decapitationv2.gif

Hair and cloth physics
inMfy4ydFt0U1.gif

Super running
iLqZoffH4BNMg.gif

It's execution day we hunt our enemies like prey
wraithpowersv2.gif

Last edited:

Ice Cold

King of Blades
Daps
Reviews just started dropping
Polygon gave it a 9.5 http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/26/62...-mordor-review-lord-of-the-rings-ps4-xbox-one
polygon said:
the core, moment-to-moment gameplay is extremely satisfying
The gameplay foundation of Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is very strong, which makes it all the more incredible that it's also the least exciting thing about the game. Most video games choose to either tell you a story or give you a world in which you can create your own stories; very rarely are these two paths mixed, and even more rarely with any success.

Shadow of Mordor is that ultimate rarity. It tells a fun little story that would be enough to hold up most games on their own. But it also provides all of the tools to ensure that the most interesting tales to come out of the game will be the ones that were not scripted.
Escapist gave it 4.5/5 http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...f-Mordor-Offers-New-Twist-on-Tolkien-s-The-.2
theecapist said:
Bottom Line: As an open world game set in Middle-earth, Shadow of Mordor delivers unique emergent gameplay, finely-tuned combat mechanics and a story which avoids typical fantasy fare. While the main storyline can be finished relatively quickly, there is a lot of content in Mordor for you to pursue however you like.

Recommendation: Even if hardcore Tolkien fans could be split on the themes of the game, interacting with the emergent system of the orc army of Mordor is a joy most gamers will appreciate as a step forward in design.
IGN 9.3 www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/25/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-review
+Enemy progression
+Losing matters
+Mined control
– Unexciting campaign missions
Gamespot 8.0 www.gamespot.com/reviews/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-review/1900-6415884/
The Good
Challenging combat encounters make every skill feel useful
Fluid locomotion makes interacting with the game a joy
Nemesis system is fun to mess with
Outstanding sound design enhances the sense of otherworldly peril

The Bad
Erratic story that concludes with anticlimactic battles
The most interesting mechanics don't appear until halfway through the story
Destruction 6.0 :scust:

Joystiq 5/5
Eurogamer 8.5
Kotaku - Yes