Seinfeld Turned Down 110 million For Last Season of Show

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I found seinfeld extremely funny and I also found shows like martin extremely funny. Yes you can enjoy both shows.

Seinfeld was universal really in most of the concepts ...actually instead of asking if black people found it funny it would be more appropriate to ask if rednecks and people from the south found it funny . Good comedy is universal the situations might not be the same for every race but the concepts speak to everyone :Cenashrug:

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
i just have no clue how money works. I'm assuming NBC would turn a huge profit from advertising and shyt? But to give Jerry $110 mil? how the fukk much money is there in advertising? sindication? why would one more season increase the money so much? I just have no grasp on how shyt works. there is so much god damn money in the world and i aint got none of it

According to the OP, the show had 21m viewers per episode. If you had a product, advertising to 21m people a week is a gold mine. Advertising is BIG money breh.

The quote in the op was misstated the nielsen rating was 21.7 which is about 38million viewers (source wikipedia)

In an attempt to break it down:

During the late 90's the superbowl had about 90 million viewers with 30sec ad slot costing 1.6 million. Comparing this to Seinfeld's 38 million Id say it would be about $675,000 per 30sec. Seinfeld ran for 30min on a 22min block so there was 8min of commercials...split that into 16 30 sec segments. 675,000 per 30 sec and there's 16 of them leads to 10.8 million in advertising revenue per episode Seinfeld aired. The season would have had 24 episodes so that would have led to about $260 million in ad revenue for the entire season. :whoo:

That's not even counting the ad revenue for re-runs. Then the syndication money, dvd sales, and merch and yea $110 million looks like chump change compared to how much that season would have made.

The Prince of All Saiyans

Formerly Jisoo Stan & @Twitter
Daps
WHO? WHO IS SHOOK OF DE GAY COUPLE??? :wrist:

streettoughs.jpg

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
It's crazy that there used to be shows (other than sports) with 20 million live viewers

Even with Netflix, not that many shows have that "water cooler talk" quality anymore

Last edited:

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
i just have no clue how money works. I'm assuming NBC would turn a huge profit from advertising and shyt? But to give Jerry $110 mil? how the fukk much money is there in advertising? sindication? why would one more season increase the money so much? I just have no grasp on how shyt works. there is so much god damn money in the world and i aint got none of it

Back in the 80s and 90s everyone watched the same shyt, so those prime time ads were worth a lot. Especially Seinfeld which remained a very popular show throughout its run. And surely they made plenty of money from syndication, DVDs, and later streaming.