Sci Fi vs Medieval vs Present Day Setting For RPG's?

which is the best setting for RPG's?

• Medieval

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Sci Fi

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Present Day

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
fantasy - generic stories, great combat
scifi - great stories, combat that would probably be better as an FPS
present day - not enough of a sample size to make any conclusions

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I prefer fantasy but the first RPG I played was Ultima and even that game and some of the sequels had a Sci-Fi element.

With that said I would like to see more modern day settings. Earthbound series is one of the GOATs just off the strength of that.

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
Voted Medieval but not ugly ass Medieval Northern Europe which Im fukking tired of. Assasins Creed Origins and Odyssey (not Medieval but you know what I mean) where both fukking BEAUTIFUL GAMES.

Jade Empire on the OG Xbox was slick as fukk, a game like Sekiro with its Japanese inspired fantasy really pulled me in. I need a real deal West African or Mesoamerican inspired RPG with magic and creatures/gods from those mythologies.

Imagine a skill tree were you could become a wereleopard or a juju man and you could rock a big ass spear, kukri or a blow dart on some Shaka Zulu or Jaguar Paw shyt instead of playing as yet ANOTHER flabby white haired cac with a fencing sword and fire spells :beli:

Lol its crazy how much cooler source material we could get out of these settings and we still have to fight "dark elves" and "greenskins" all the fukking time :mjpls:

Last edited:

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I kinda want more modern as sci fi and medieval has been done to death.

if we wanna go back to old times, how about the Middle East, Africa, or even pre colonial America? that'd be interesting to explore.

Superstar
Daps
I prefer sci-fi, then medieval. There’s aren’t many present day/modern day RPG’s that I would really say I love. The ones I do are all old (like earthbound).

I started out liking persona 5 but I put it down to play something else and never picked it back up. It was fun while it lasted but I have no desire to finish. Hopefully I will because I played it non-stop when I did play.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
we'll get the Styles P Aaliyah diss leak before we get that my water fowl friend:francis:

Nintendo are cowards

hqdefault.jpg

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I like them all. Story and exploration are more important than time period to me. There are good rpgs set in each of those time periods.

If I was forced to pick a time period, it would be a hard decision. I really don’t know.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Modern day for me. Most are medieval or futuristic, so a modern setting like Persona, Parasite Eve and Yakuza 7 are refreshing and I tend to be more engaged with the story

Last edited: