School Me on Blu Ray Rips vs Blu Rays

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Those 1-2 gig rips are compressed and the quality is low

The 8-14 gigs are compressed too but the quality is excellent, plus most of those rips have uncompressed DTS audio

You can also download the uncompressed full bluray rips...those are usually anywhere 25-50 gigs but they are full bluray rips(the exact same as the retail blurays you buy at the store)

Yup and you're getting the HD audio with those rips.

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I disagree. You can tell the difference on a big screen.
:beli:

I highly doubt you have a bigger TV than me... and I'm telling you you're wrong. The main difference is the sound, but that's only because my Roku doesn't handle DTS and automatically converts it to AVC. I have plenty of discs and I have plenty of BRRips.

froggle

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Those 1-2 gig rips are compressed and the quality is low

The 8-14 gigs rips are compressed too but the quality is excellent, plus most of those rips have uncompressed DTS audio

You can also download the uncompressed full bluray rips...those are usually anywhere between 25-50 gigs but they are full bluray rips(the exact same as the retail blurays you buy at the store)

I usally download the mid tier rips(the 8-14 gig rips usually from publichd) except for visual movies like pacific rim,life of pi, etc. I'll grabbed the full bluray(or 3D) rip

is there any significant difference between the uncompressed bluray and the 8-14gb rips?

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
is there any significant difference between the uncompressed bluray and the 8-14gb rips?
Bro, get the rips that are between 8-14GBs. You'll be pleased. And they shyt on the files that are 2-4GBs in size.

I've never downloaded those 25-50GBs files because that shyt is OC. I have plenty of the 8-14GBs ones and they are piff. Trust me.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
:beli:

The main difference is in the sound. But the pic quality is not "much better" from my experience.

I don't bother with BRRips unless it's like 8-9GBs.

Nah, the pic quality is better as well, noticeably so during either very vibrant scenes/films, high action scenes or night scenes. But yeah, the sound is even moreso noticeable than the pic quality if you have a surround system.

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Nah, the pic quality is better as well, noticeably so during either very vibrant scenes/films, high action scenes or night scenes. But yeah, the sound is even moreso noticeable than the pic quality if you have a surround system.
He said much better, it's not much better. I have 20/20 vision and a big enough TV to gauge the differences between discs and rips.

I'm not talking about the fake rips that are like 2GBs, I'm talking about the ones around 10GBs. I'm sure the retail rips that are like 25GBs and up are the same as what's on the disc.

Either way, the rips I get have made buying most movies a thing of the past for me. Last one I got was Life of Pi because I wanted the disc for that one to share with people. And I like the movie that much to purchase it for the additional extras on the disc.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
He said much better, it's not much better. I have 20/20 vision and a big enough TV to gauge the differences between discs and rips.

I'm not talking about the fake rips that are like 2GBs, I'm talking about the ones around 10GBs. I'm sure the retail rips that are like 25GBs and up are the same as what's on the disc.

Either way, the rips I get have made buying most movies a thing of the past for me. Last one I got was Life of Pi because I wanted the disc for that one to share with people. And I like the movie that much to purchase it for the additional extras on the disc.

As do I (20/20) and as was I (the rips size). Yeah, the high scale rips are exactly the same, which they should be if that's the same as what's on disc. The mid-tiers have differences between what I listed and the lower tiers have obvious differences. The mid-tiers should be adequate to get most by though, unless they're anal a/v heads as I am.

Daps
Reppin
Pittsburgh
I can tell pretty much no diference between picture quality of a 8-10 GB blu ray rip and an actual Blu Ray. I own over 100 Blu Ray's. Part of me hates myself for paying for them when I could just download em, but I enjoy collecting them, and I get them so cheap.. very rarely do I pay more than 7 dollars for a Blu Ray. Plus as mentioned before, the audio quality is where you'll notice a vast difference between the discs and the Rips