Saying somebody is only so and so years old is no longer an excuse anymore

That Singer Guy...

TiMeLeSs Moderator
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Knoxville, Tn
I remember Soulja Boy was dropping some of the worst hiphop songs ever in 2007 and people said that it was only because he was 16 and that he would improve...

5 years later and hes even more horrible as a lyricist :yeshrug:

Now I see people saying give Chief Keef a chance because hes little and I automatically say fukk that, if you put yourself out there without developing your craft then fukk your wack ass music. You got 17 year old Joey Bada$$ sounding like a fukking monster and you have this kid sounding like he didnt finish middle school. Hiphop gives wack young people too much of a chance, who wants to improve when they already got people buying their stuff and cosigning them being horrible?

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
Yeah I agree, this isn't exactly like sports where you have to learn how to read a defense or need to improve the physical aspect of your game so it takes young players years to get it. Just because you are young doesn't mean that you will automatically improve over time. I think it's just the opposite in hip hop where by the time the person gets older and had some success they kind of just stick to what got them there. I honestly can't think of someone off the top of my head who came into the game young and then really improved years later.

And I really hate to compare legendary artists to other artists but some of the all time greats were doing their best work in their teens and early 20s.

Majestic Pape

The-Coli = W SOHH = L
Daps
Some of the greatest music of all-time was made by children, teenagers, and those in their early 20s.

Hell, there's plenty of hip-hop classics that were made by rappers in that 17-22 range.

labelplant

Wilt Chamberlain
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Wayne improved starting with Carter I/Squad Up tapes. Arguably because of ghostwriters though

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland
I never got that, if you put your music out there and its gonna be on the rack with the big boys who cares about how old you are. I'm not gonna suffer through a sub par CD just because the dude is 16. I'ma toss that shyt and chances are I'm not gonna fukk with him when he 21.

Double Burger With Cheese

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Y'all sound old. Of course Chief Keef is trash lyrically, but people who want raw ass lyrics are not his target market. Image always played a huge role in Hip-Hop and does so even more today. A lot of young people fukk with him cause they can relate to him. Basically he just a bad ass lil hood nicca and whatever he does on film/music comes across as authentic and that's why the youth fukk with him.

Gone are the days of battling 20 niccas to get on. An ugly mutherfukker like Craig Mack couldn't get on today without some type of gimmick, no matter how raw his lyrics were. These days it's a little more style over substance. Right now Keef spitting shytty lyrics while maintaining a gangster image is more beneficial to him than turning into a lyrical monster. He would actually alienate a lot of his core fan base. Imagine if Waka Flaka started rapping like Canibus :rudy: