Say brehs, how would you describe masculinity?

OnlyOneBoss

Superstar
Daps
I know Men’s Mental Health month just passed so late pass :hubie:

But I’ve been wanting to ask for a second. Especially as black men.

What traits would you attribute to it?

Personally the way I think about it, each man has to find his own form of masculinity and be comfortable in that enough to live in that all the time. A man living however he wants to (in a productive manner of course) that is peaceful and found joy in life is my only qualifier for being masculine.

I feel like (again, me personally) after that you’re getting into traits other people deem masculine, beliefs other people believe are masculine. In my opinion the least masculine thing you can do is love how another man says you should :manny:

But it’s an open conversation. Tap in

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
As you said, masculinity is personally defined.

A person who describes THEMSELF as an alpha male is not an alpha male 9/10.

Masculinity to me means:
1. Being willing and able to take calculated risks
2. Working towards goals you set for yourself.
3. Not allowing yourself to get into semantic arguments.
4. Valuing perseverance in the face of adversity without complaining. You can acknowledge a challenge, but complaining is a meaningless action. You should be solution focused.
5. Building emotional and physical strength without being delusional about what you can and cannot handle.
6. Never crying in front of a woman that isn't related to you.
7. Never letting your emotions dictate your actions.
8. Valuing things that last and endure over things that degrade over time and have superficial value.

MarcMan

Superstar
Daps
OP, it feels you're touching on two distinct things, 'masculinity' vs what it means be a man.

To me anyways, masculinity is the stuff associated with human males (more muscle mass, deeper voice, etc.).

But I think real men tend to be builders and protectors of the community that carry themselves with integrity.

I respect everyone's opinion, but keeping it 100% like I do with my boys, society has little respect (and much disdain) for men that don't positively contribute to society.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I would describe it as an inner concept of protection, in every good and bad way the word can be applied. At the base evolutionary level that could be the will to protect yourself, your family, your tribe, community, neighborhood, country, etc. I think it's tied to capacities for violence, morality and delusion. How far are you willing to go to defend your family? How far are you willing to go to ignore your problems and keep marching on? The answer each man has to questions like that determine their character and health. Ignoring your physical/emotional/mental health while silently marching forward because you must endure isn't good. It's not healthy. And it kills men, who feel they have no other option but to persist no matter what. So I think the true sense of masculinity has to be an understanding of self that includes a willingness to save yourself, fix yourself, improve yourself, etc. You can't protect yourself or others if you're marching into a gave of your own making.

hostsamurai

Demon King Of Salvation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
But I think real men tend to be builders and protectors of the community that carry themselves with integrity.
So based off that socially centric definition of a man, an individualist who is only out for themselves is not a "real man"?

There are many types of men who lead totally valid lifestyles whether they want to build and or be part of a community, or are in the hunt for personal glory. My definition of a man is probably closer to someone who is truly accepting of personal responsibility and, critically, moving forward not with modesty but with a sense of humility.

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
All day EVERY DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

pWBTbAI.png