RZA and Common team-up for "Black Samurai" TV Show

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets

Hip-hop legends Common and RZA are teaming up to bring Marc Olden’s “Black Samurai” to television.

Common will star as Robert Sand, an American GI who is shot while on leave in Tokyo, only to be rescued by a mysterious Japanese man named Master Konuma and trained in martial arts. After Konuma is slaughtered, the eponymous Black Samurai embarks on a mission of revenge, hunting down the people who killed his master. RZA, best known as the leader of the Wu-Tang Clan, will serve as executive producer.

“Black Samurai” is being spearheaded by Andre Gaines and is based on Olden’s original 1974 novel, not the 1977 film adaptation. “Robert Sand is like black Jason Bourne,” Gaines said to Variety. “‘Black Samurai’ is one of the most unique, timely and fun experiences I’ve ever read, while at the same time tackling some serious subjects around race and diversity.”

“Black Samurai” is yet another promising project for Common, who recently starred in “Barbershop: The Next Cut” and NBC’s “The Wiz Live!” Common is also set to appear in “John Wick: Chapter Two” and this summer’s supervillain slugfest “Suicide Squad” as a character named Monster T. In 2015, Common and John Legend won the Oscar for Best Original Song in a Motion Picture for “Glory,” part of the soundtrack for “Selma.”

RZA is no stranger to martial-arts themed entertainment. The Wu-Tang Clan got its name from the 1983 movie “Shaolin and Wu Tang,” while the title of the group’s first album, “Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers),” references the classic kung-fu flick “The 36th Chamber of Shaolin.” He also directed and starred in 2012’s “The Man with the Iron Fists.”

“Black Samurai” is currently being shopped to various networks. Writers and directors have yet to be announced.

Common to Star in RZA-Produced 'Black Samurai' TV Series | Spinoff Online | TV & Film News Daily

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
Wow a show about a samurai who dresses properly and extending his hand to white people in love. Cant wait to see this shyt:stopitslime:
:laff:

This shyt gonna be horrible. Just like that Man with the iron fists bullshyt

fukk outta here u 2 sellouts
full

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Jason Bateman as Master Konuma :blessed:

Damn i didnt know Common is in Suicide Squad
:ohhh:

Hejdå

Inactive
Daps
alright alright :ehh:

If it's decent I'll give it a shot, I like Common. If this gets approved we'll have Gambino's show and this show to look forward too :whew:

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
I might just be a hater, which doesn't make sense cause I like a lot of his music, but I just can't take Common seriously in any acting role. Wanted was as close as I could get. But still that was a stretch. Still gonna check this out.
its funny you say this cause i remember when Just Wright dropped me and my girl went to go see it
and admittedly im just a Queen Latifah stan so i enjoyed the movie
but we couldnt help but laugh at him in that role
shyt was awkward than a muthafukka watchin his lil ass scurry around the court and off it play superstar suave ball player and shyt :russ:

i liked his character in Run All Night
wasnt much but that was still a dope character to me