Ryan Garner, 17, became the youngest African American to earn his private pilot's license in North Carolina

Turlast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Two One Five

17-YEAR-OLD FROM NORTH CAROLINA BECOMES ONE OF THE YOUNGEST PILOTS IN THE U.S

ryan_garner_youngest_black_pilot_north_carolina.jpg

Ryan Garner made history by becoming one of the youngest pilots in the country. The 17-year-old from Indian Trail, N.C. recently obtained his private pilot license. Garner is also the first Black pilot to receive the distinction at Goose Creek Airport.

Garner was recognized for his achievement last week, when Mayor Dusch of the City of Concord presented him with an official proclamation, according to WSOC-TV.

He says he has harbored a love for aviation since he was a young child.

“I have always loved it since I was a kid,” Garner told WCNC. “It’s a little adrenaline rush coming into the plane.”

“I actually never wanted to be a pilot at first,” he told WSOC-TV. “I wanted to be a grounds crew member that would bring in the planes or marshal them in. I got to talking with a

Delta pilot about flight school, and that’s how I got into it.”

Garner is a senior at West Cabarrus High School, which specializes in aviation and aerospace engineering.

“He’s the footprint … he is actually the footprint to future generations to come and say it’s possible,” his mother Melissa Dixon told WCNC.

“I trust his ability,” she added. “I trust what he’s capable actually of doing. So yes, I am willing to go up and get that experience and actually just see life on a different level.”

This is only one of the first steps in Garner accomplishing his career aspirations.

“I want to take it to the majors and go to the airlines,” he said.

RickyDiBiase

The Sword of Jesus of Nazareth
Daps
Reppin
Cbus
i didn't take it as one, just asking what you mean cuz i've never heard of north carolina people having a "look"

The glasses, the style of dress, being lanky.

Like the people I meet from NC never come off as flashy dressers, but modest.

• Dap
Reactions: 904

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
I thought minors couldn’t get a pilots license after that white girl crashed a plane.

I pick shyt up
Daps
Reppin
Vixens, Mascara's, Mary-Ann's
The glasses, the style of dress, being lanky.

Like the people I meet from NC never come off as flashy dressers, but modest.
Funny enough, I know what you mean..

North Carolina makes me think baby fro and khakis and a polo.. Clean cut lol

But salute to the young man.. my lack of passion in any one area led to a long delay of finding my fit.. I wish I had the focus when I was younger