Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
FZ5orj_XoAAU4NC
]

:mjlol:

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
interesting twitter thread about russian consumption standards

sounds positively american.

If consumption standards do not fall dramatically, it means that the main concern about the Special Operation was groundless. It doesn't have serious downsides It consumption standards do fall dramatically, it means the main concern about the Special Operation made sense

When I say "decrease in consumption standards", I don't mean hunger. I mean the loss of the prior abundance of consumer goods. Paradoxically it may sound for a Westerner, the limited choice of yogurts on shelves is far worse blow on Putin's legitimacy than the mass starvation

Two reasons. 1. Limited choice of yogurts hurts Moscow and the attitude of Moscow does matter. Mass starvation would hurt the province no one cares about 2. You starve cuz you don't have money? That's your fault. There are few yogurts in supermarket? That's Putin's fault

Westerners may misunderstand the Putin's social contract. It's not about "increasing the life quality of the general population" (do you think you are in Sweden or what?). It's primarily about abundance of consumer opportunities. That's the major basis of Putin's legitimacy

If some remote province potentially starves or freezes, no one will care. However, if Moscow feels the lack of broadly understood consumption opportunities that's a much greater blow on Putin and delegitimization of his policies than a Westerner could ever imagine. The end

Techniec

Drugs and Kalashnikovs
Daps
Reppin
W/S 416
North Kazakhstan is the same as eastern Ukraine to the Russians

It's why they switched capitals years back

• Dap
Reactions: 19-

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Sounds like the EU is going to come with an LNG pipeline from Spain to Central Europe via Italy