[Rumor] PS5 may have BC. Sony files patent for BC emulation. - Gearnuke.

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
Sony planning Backward Compatibility for PS5 [Rumor]

Sony has registered a new patent that seems to be suggesting support of backward compatibility for the PS5. Read on see why the patent could suggest we could be getting the ability to play our PS4, PS3, PS2 and PS1 games on the Playstation 5.

The patent was filed privately before, probably as a placeholder, but updated on October 2nd, 2018.

As summary of the patent is as follows:

Each asset such as a texture called for by legacy software such as a legacy computer game software has a unique identifier associated with it. The unique identifier can be rendered by imposing a hash on the asset, and then the asset stored with its identifier in a data structure. An artist remasters the textures for presentation on a higher resolution display than envisioned in the original software, and stores them back in the data structure with their identifiers. The original software is then played on the higher resolution display, with asset (such as texture) calls being intercepted, identified, and the data structure entered to retrieve the remastered asset having a matching identifier. The remastered asset is then inserted on the fly into the game presentation.

Sounds awfully like Backward Compatibility doesn’t it? It also seems to suggest that Sony will be foregoing the “Remaster” route that they went will the PS5. The Xbox One is held in high regard due to its massive support of Xbox and Xbox 360 games, with Sony going the same route with the PS5, it’ll only be beneficial for us gamers

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The PS4 has destroyed the Xbox one in sales worldwide despite having no BC so clearly it’s not a big deal like some people make it. I think they’ll just continue with the remasters route as it’s more profitable for them.

Last edited:

mr.africa

Veteran
Daps
why is backwards compatibility such a big thing for you guys?
pull out your ps2,ps3,etc and play your games on the intended console.
:manny:
goes back to getting his ass kicked by the 76ers in nba 2k on his dreamcast!!
fukk this cheap AI.
out!!

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So if PS5 has BC with PS3 games and PS Now STILL exists, what will be your go to critique then? :mjlol:
You can't say it's to sell PS Now. It'll be because it was true that PS4 was incapable of properly playing PS3 games on that pitiful hardware.

*expects rant about something something nerd basement PC if they can sony can context ignored something something*

@Kamikaze Revy
I want all the smoke.

GreenGrass

All Star
Daps
I guess this is good if you have a ps5 that is jail broken. you can just load the games off the hard drive. it is good for collectors.

however, i think game devs will take advantage of this. they will just release ps3 or ps4 games and make you think that you are playing ps5 games.

playstation or just consoles games are okay but the games that are not for PC needs to be ported to the PC.

ps5 should have a live tv app or some shyt. they need Google Store or have the ability to APK files.

ps4 i was planning to buy but i would rather save the money for myself.

these consoles are for little children, brehs... make your money

4-Rin

Superstar
Daps
I doubt Sony will release a backwards compatible console ever again.

That would kill off PS now, not sure if anyone actually uses that service. Also we are in the age of releasing remasters.

From a business perspective, backwards compatibility is bad for business. If the customers refused to buy remasters then it would have been a possibility...but now all these companies have seen how profitable it is to rerelase an old game. It's a wrap, Sony won't leave money on the table. The Playstation division is Sonys cash cow.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
why is backwards compatibility such a big thing for you guys?
pull out your ps2,ps3,etc and play your games on the intended console.
:manny:
goes back to getting his ass kicked by the 76ers in nba 2k on his dreamcast!!
fukk this cheap AI.
out!!
Because these broke b*stards traded in all of their old games to buy a console with remasters of those same old games.

TBdaGhost

Bay Bay
Daps
It will almost certainly play ps4 games. If it plays every consoles games that would be cool. I can't really see myself using it though :yeshrug: