Rudy Giuliani found liable in defamation lawsuit brought by black Georgia election workers

melraH

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
UPTOWN
:dead:
big-suge.png

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Giuliani now owes over $230,000 after defaming two Georgia election workers​

By Katelyn Polantz, Senior Reporter, Crime and Justice

Updated 4:16 PM EDT, Fri September 22, 2023

Rudy Giuliani has failed to pay more than $132,000 in sanctions he faces for failing to respond to parts of a lawsuit from two Georgia election workers, according to a court filing.

In addition, US District Judge Beryl Howell on Friday ordered the former New York mayor to pay an additional $104,000 to Ruby Freeman and Shaye Moss, a mother and daughter he defamed, for additional legal fees they’ve incurred because of his failure to respond to parts of their lawsuit.

This is the latest difficulty for Giuliani as he faces fallout from his work for Donald Trump after the 2020 election.

Giuliani has struggled to pay legal bills in recent months, including related to the lawsuit from Freeman and Moss.

The bill of $132,856 is only a small chunk of the financial burden Giuliani is currently under, largely because of his ongoing legal troubles, and it’s one he’s known of for several weeks.

But a court filing on Thursday confirmed Giuliani has not paid the amount to Moss and Freeman, which a judge ordered to offset some of their attorneys’ fees.
“As of the date of this filing, Defendant Giuliani has failed to take any of the actions, or to cause the Giuliani Businesses to take any of the actions, so-ordered in the Sanctions Order,” Moss and Freeman’s lawyers wrote on Thursday, according to the filing. “Plaintiffs are considering what further relief may be appropriate.”

Giuliani’s failure to respond to subpoenas for records in Moss and Freeman’s lawsuit led to the sanctioned amount, which is now accruing interest as he continues to not pay. Yet it isn’t the end of the bills for Giuliani in the case. He will face a damages trial in the case before a jury in December.

Just days ago, he also faced a new lawsuit from his former attorney for $1.3 million in unpaid legal fees, and other lawsuits against him are ongoing.

Giuliani lost the defamation lawsuit in August from the two Georgia election workers against him after he failed to provide information sought in subpoenas.

In court in recent weeks, Giuliani said he could no longer contest that he made false and defamatory statements about Freeman and Moss.

The two are asking for unspecified damages after they say they suffered emotional and reputational harm, as well as having their safety put in danger, after Giuliani singled them out when he made false claims of ballot tampering in Georgia after the 2020 election.

Giuliani’s statements about them, which Freeman and Moss say are false, included calling them ballot-stuffing criminal conspirators. Giuliani also drew attention to a video of them after the election, which was first posted by the Trump campaign and showed part of a security tape of ballot counting in Atlanta. On social media, his podcast and other broadcasts, Giuliani said the video showed suitcases filled with ballots, when it did not capture anything but normal ballot processing, according to the defamation lawsuit and a state investigation.

Georgia election officials have debunked Giuliani’s accusations of fraud during the ballot counting.

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps

Giuliani now owes over $230,000 after defaming two Georgia election workers​

By Katelyn Polantz, Senior Reporter, Crime and Justice

Updated 4:16 PM EDT, Fri September 22, 2023

Rudy Giuliani has failed to pay more than $132,000 in sanctions he faces for failing to respond to parts of a lawsuit from two Georgia election workers, according to a court filing.

In addition, US District Judge Beryl Howell on Friday ordered the former New York mayor to pay an additional $104,000 to Ruby Freeman and Shaye Moss, a mother and daughter he defamed, for additional legal fees they’ve incurred because of his failure to respond to parts of their lawsuit.

This is the latest difficulty for Giuliani as he faces fallout from his work for Donald Trump after the 2020 election.

Giuliani has struggled to pay legal bills in recent months, including related to the lawsuit from Freeman and Moss.

The bill of $132,856 is only a small chunk of the financial burden Giuliani is currently under, largely because of his ongoing legal troubles, and it’s one he’s known of for several weeks.

But a court filing on Thursday confirmed Giuliani has not paid the amount to Moss and Freeman, which a judge ordered to offset some of their attorneys’ fees.
“As of the date of this filing, Defendant Giuliani has failed to take any of the actions, or to cause the Giuliani Businesses to take any of the actions, so-ordered in the Sanctions Order,” Moss and Freeman’s lawyers wrote on Thursday, according to the filing. “Plaintiffs are considering what further relief may be appropriate.”

Giuliani’s failure to respond to subpoenas for records in Moss and Freeman’s lawsuit led to the sanctioned amount, which is now accruing interest as he continues to not pay. Yet it isn’t the end of the bills for Giuliani in the case. He will face a damages trial in the case before a jury in December.

Just days ago, he also faced a new lawsuit from his former attorney for $1.3 million in unpaid legal fees, and other lawsuits against him are ongoing.

Giuliani lost the defamation lawsuit in August from the two Georgia election workers against him after he failed to provide information sought in subpoenas.

In court in recent weeks, Giuliani said he could no longer contest that he made false and defamatory statements about Freeman and Moss.

The two are asking for unspecified damages after they say they suffered emotional and reputational harm, as well as having their safety put in danger, after Giuliani singled them out when he made false claims of ballot tampering in Georgia after the 2020 election.

Giuliani’s statements about them, which Freeman and Moss say are false, included calling them ballot-stuffing criminal conspirators. Giuliani also drew attention to a video of them after the election, which was first posted by the Trump campaign and showed part of a security tape of ballot counting in Atlanta. On social media, his podcast and other broadcasts, Giuliani said the video showed suitcases filled with ballots, when it did not capture anything but normal ballot processing, according to the defamation lawsuit and a state investigation.

Georgia election officials have debunked Giuliani’s accusations of fraud during the ballot counting.
Needs to be more. They should make him broke.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Election Worker Tells Jury: ‘Giuliani Just Messed Me Up’

Ruby Freeman, one of two Georgia election workers found to have been defamed by Rudolph W. Giuliani, testified at the trial held to set the damages he will have to pay.

Ruby Freeman, left, and her daughter, Shaye Moss, sitting as people around them applaud. A yellow curtain and American flags are behind them.

Ruby Freeman, left, and her daughter, Shaye Moss, at a White House ceremony honoring them this year. She testified Wednesday that a tweet from Rudolph W. Giuliani led to years of harassment.Credit...Pete Marovich for The New York Times

By Eileen Sullivan

Reporting from Washington
Dec. 13, 2023

Ruby Freeman, a former Georgia election worker, sat in a federal courtroom on Wednesday and told a jury: “Giuliani just messed me up, you know.”

She was referring to Rudolph W. Giuliani, who was sitting a few feet from her, as she described how her life has been upended since Dec. 3, 2020. That was the date Mr. Giuliani, then the personal lawyer to President Donald J. Trump, directed his millions of social media followers to watch a video of two election workers in Fulton County, Ga., asserting without any basis that they were cheating Mr. Trump as they counted votes on Election Day.

The workers were Ms. Freeman and her daughter, Shaye Moss.

Ms. Freeman, who is Black, recounted what followed: a torrent of threats, accusations and racism; messages from people who said she should be hanged for treason, or lynched; people who fantasized about hearing the sound of her neck snap.

They found her at her home. They sent messages to her business email and social media accounts. They called her phone so much that it crashed, she said.

The harassment got so bad that the F.B.I. told Ms. Freeman she was not safe in the home where she had lived for years. She stayed with a friend until she felt she put that friend at risk after law enforcement officials told her they had arrested someone who had her name on a death list.

Ms. Freeman’s name had become a rallying cry across conservative news outlets, embodying a conspiracy theory that Trump supporters embraced as they tried to keep him in office.

“This all started with one tweet,” Ms. Freeman said on Wednesday, the third day of a trial to determine what compensation she and Ms. Moss deserve from Mr. Giuliani. Judge Beryl A. Howell previously ruled that Mr. Giuliani spread lies about them, intentionally inflicted emotional distress on them and engaged in a conspiracy with others as he led the efforts to keep Mr. Trump in office.

Ashlee Humphreys, a professor at Northwestern University’s Medill School of Journalism who testified as an expert witness for the plaintiffs, told the jury that the price tag for repairing the damage done to their reputations would be between $17.4 million and $47.4 million.

Mr. Giuliani’s lawyer, Joseph Sibley IV, has said that size of damage award would be the civil equivalent of the death penalty — a description Judge Howell called “hyperbolic.”

Even though Georgia officials quickly dismissed the accusations against the two women, and a yearslong investigation cleared them of wrongdoing, Ms. Freeman and Ms. Moss said they continue to suffer the consequences.

Ms. Freeman said she could no longer use her name, making it difficult when she bought a new house and had to register for utilities. She wears a mask and sunglasses when she is in public.

“Sometimes I don’t know who I am,” she said. “What is my name today?”

After she purchased her new home, Ms. Freeman had security cameras installed throughout. She said the neighbors are friendly, but she keeps to herself to avoid introductions.

“My life is just messed up,” she said as her testimony came to an end. “It’s just really messed up, all because somebody put me on blast, just tweet my name to their millions of followers.”

Mr. Sibley declined to cross-examine Ms. Freeman. Mr. Giuliani’s defense will begin on Thursday, when he is expected to testify.

Eileen Sullivan writes about the Department of Homeland Security with a focus on immigration and law enforcement. More about Eileen Sullivan

A version of this article appears in print on Dec. 14, 2023, Section A, Page 22 of the New York edition with the headline: Election Worker Targeted by Giuliani Describes Torrent of Threats. Order Reprints | Today’s Paper | Subscribe

• Dap
Reactions: hex

bnew

Veteran
Daps

'Oh, my goodness': Giuliani gasps on live TV after learning he could owe $500 million​

Matthew Chapman

December 21, 2023 7:44PM ET

'Oh, my goodness': Giuliani gasps on live TV after learning he could owe $500 million

Rudy Giuliani (Steve Bannon's War Room).

Former President Trump's ally Rudy Giuliani, fresh off his $148 million court defeat in the defamation case brought by Ruby Freeman and Shaye Moss, acted surprised on Steve Bannon's War Room show on Thursday when Bannon reminded him of what his reported total liabilities were.

"America's Mayor," said Bannon. "You're one of the smartest lawyers in the country. Tell us what happened this afternoon."

"Well, I mean, I don't think it's much of an embarrassment to say that I can't afford $148 million," said Giuliani. "That, that's way beyond what I consider to be a rather decent net worth and proud of it. But about $130 million short."

"The one thing that caught, particularly your, your friends and colleagues by surprise and the filing, at least the headlines in the New York Post and other places, CNN. You listed liabilities of $200 to $500 million?"

ALSO READ: A neuroscientist’s guide to surviving Christmas with Trump-loving relatives

"Liabilities of $200?" said Giuliani. "I don't have liabilities of $200. That's just wrong. The liabilities that I have are in excess of that. Maybe a million dollars. So it's the 148 plus, maybe 7, 800,000. I don't have, I don't have any mortgage, have any loans. So there's something we will spend 99 percent of my liabilities are that, is that judgment? 98 percent is that judgment? Without that judgment I'm perfectly solvent."

"I think, I think New York Post was the same," said Bannon. "I think it said $200 to $500 million."

"Oh my goodness," said Giuliani. "Maybe, you know, you know what they're doing. I know what they're doing. They're looking at the other cases, what they're doing is they're saying if all the other cases were to go to conclusion and get the money that they're asking for, but that's, I mean, that's really in never, never land. Like, for example, Dominion is asking for $1.2 billion. So I, I, maybe somebody wants to consider that a liability, but it's not a real — it hasn't become, what it hasn't become any kind of a verdict or a judgment yet. So that's what I think they're doing. They're taking all those other cases and they're saying, suppose he loses all those cases, he'd owe $500 million, but I don't owe it right now and I don't think I am gonna lose all those cases. I don't even know how Dominion can recover another cent. They've already recovered four times the value of their company."

Watch the video below or at the link.

Rudy Giuliani discusses bankruptcy with Steve Bannon

nIfMt1P.png
hdGwj8K.png

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Rudy Giuliani begs bankruptcy court to let him keep his Florida condo so he can keep podcasting to pay creditors​

BRANDI BUCHMANMar 29th, 2024, 12:30 pm

Rudy Giuliani

Rudy Giuliani is interviewed on September 9, 2022 about the September 11th 2001 (9/11/01) terror attacks in New York City (NYC). (File Photo by: zz/John Nacion/STAR MAX/IPx 2022 9/9/22.)

When Rudy Giuliani defamed two poll workers with bunk allegations of election fraud in 2020, it triggered a wave of threats so acute, one of the workers was forced to flee her longtime home in Georgia. Now, the ally to former President Donald Trump — and his co-defendant in the racketeering case in Fulton County — is experiencing some domicile difficulties of his own.

In a motion filed Thursday, Giuliani, who owes election workers Ruby Freeman and Shaye Moss $148 million for defaming them, asked a bankruptcy court in the Southern District of New York to let him keep his Florida condominium, valued at $3.5 million, as he fights the judgment on appeal.

The former New York mayor’s attorneys wrote in the 12-page motion that the recommendation by the Committee on Unsecured Creditors that he sell the home since declaring bankruptcy was premature.

“It appears that the Committee is assuming that most if not all of the Freeman judgment will survive on appeal, and is proceeding as if all of the Debtor’s assets need to be liquidated now to satisfy a potentially inflated claim. The debtor could be irreparably harmed if the Florida residence is sold and later it turns out that the Freeman judgment is vacated,” the instant motion states.

The committee told him there was “no legal basis” for him to keep the property.

Giuliani does not oppose the sale of his property in Manhattan, however. That property could be sold so he could make his primary residence in Florida, he contends. His lawyers noted that the New York property is expected to be listed by Sotheby’s soon for $5 million.

With that home sold, Giuliani said he expects “his monthly expenses will be significantly reduced.”

Though he claims creditors are accusing him of operating with “reckless abandon and improper judgment” in his attempt to hold onto the Florida property, Giuliani says he is “using sound business judgment” by acknowledging that one property must be sold while he keeps the other to “grow his broadcast income,” the motion states.

Debtors should not be forced to sell property where there is a “valid business justification,” he argues.

And as bankruptcy proceedings have been underway in recent weeks, Giuliani has emphasized repeatedly that his income flows from those broadcasting and podcasting businesses. As Law&Crime previously reported, the podcasts include Common Sense, which is distributed through YouTube, Rumble and Spike, as well as Uncovering the Truth, and The Rudy Giuliani Show. Giuliani streams those podcasts live on Instagram.

“Once the New York apartment is sold, the debtor will need a place to operate the Podcast from if he is to earn any money therefrom, the only remaining location would be from the Florida Condominium. The debtor is actually saving money as he does not need to pay for and maintain both a Podcast studio and his residence in both New York City and Florida,” his attorneys wrote.

In fact, they added, it was that income, and whatever future income he may earn, that would “only serve to benefit creditors.”

How profitable those future podcasts may be could be a bit unpredictable. Giuliani is still working to remain relevant on right-wing sites, though. To wit, on Thursday night during an appearance on the Rob Schmitt Tonight program for Newsmax, Giuliani railed about the judge overseeing Trump’s defamation case with writer E. Jean Carroll. He called the judge a “disgrace” and continued with his take on the judge’s findings.

“[Trump] was found not liable for rape,” he said. “It was sexual assault. Not rape. And second, you can be guilty of rape and still a person could be a whacko. That was the defamation — you’re allowed to defend yourself against defamation.”

Carroll claimed Trump raped and sexually assaulted her in a dressing room in the 1990s and at trial, she said he used both his fingers and penis to do so. The jury found he had only used his fingers, causing both immediate pain as well as long-lasting emotional psychological harm, as Law&Crime previously reported, but presiding Judge Lewis Kaplan explained even though jurors had not found Trump “raped” her under the technical definition — New York state law limits rape to the insertion of the penis into a person’s vagina — it “does not mean that she failed to prove Mr. Trump ‘raped’ her as many people commonly understand the word ‘rape.'”

“Indeed, as the evidence at trial recounted below makes clear, the jury found Mr. Trump in fact did exactly that,” Lewis wrote.

The “whacko” reference by Giuliani echoes similar commentary Trump used to describe Carroll in a 2022 deposition when he called her a “whack job” and “sick.” That deposition was played for jurors at the this year defamation trial and when asked by attorneys if he stood behind it in 2024, Trump replied: “100%.”

A spokesperson for Giuliani did not immediately respond to a request for comment Friday.

King Poetic

I’m Washed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
This the same man over 20 years ago was be called a American Hero/ the mayor of mayors because of 9/11

Now he went to divorce, daughter don’t want anything to do with him because she’s gay, he’s mentally unstable, broke, begging and pleasing and trump abandoned this idiot when trump saw this cac was a loser and could fukk him to and fox news threw him in a river

Now he on unknown podcast struggling to even get his hair dye put in