Robert De Niro Boxing Movie ‘Hands of Stone’ Set for Aug. *Behind-The-Scenes Vid Added*

L68

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i liked it...dude playing duran did a good job

Daps
Why Don King looked like A great value Morgan Freeman.

Usher and dude who played Duran did a solid job. Duran's wife was lookin right.

I can always enjoy a food boxing flick and this was no different.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Just watched it on netflix...

The story itself was as engaging as the source material probably was back then, and the chick who played Duran's wife had maaaad sex appeal once they "aged" her out of them school clothes.

Unfortunately, they tried to throw too many elements into the story to where a number of things ended up feeling a bit rushed. Certain subplots lacked the cultivation needed for the type of emotional response they were looking to gain. Like someone above said, it lacked "pop". Also bothered me that Duran as a kid (dark skinned) looked nothing like the adult actor (white skinned) but that's minor.

The biggest crime tho, is that the boxing itself was trash. Just uninspired, with countless camera cuts and edits to hide the fact that no-one knew how to box. It made it a chore to appreciate the story being told in the ring. And in the last fight, it felt like they even reused a couple of the same shots in the constant barrage of cuts and edits.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
yo @Primetime you think its worth watching. how was de niro?
It's worth a watch. I didn't ever feel bored by it, except for maybe the first 10-15 mins. It's a lot of the same tropes you would find in a boxing movie; rise to fame, fall from grace, redemption. But i thought they gave good emotion to it, and that it was a biopic with familiar historical figures helped.

I didn't find De Niro bad nor particularly impressive. He and Duran had a couple great moments in their corner in-between rounds that really heightened the intensity and emotion. But otherwise, it was the actor who played Duran who carried the film. One of the shoe-horned subplots i mentioned earlier involved DeNiro's character and it just felt tacked on and unnecessary.

But overall it's not a bad movie despite it's shortcomings.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Just watched it on netflix...

The story itself was as engaging as the source material probably was back then, and the chick who played Duran's wife had maaaad sex appeal once they "aged" her out of them school clothes.

Unfortunately, they tried to throw too many elements into the story to where a number of things ended up feeling a bit rushed. Certain subplots lacked the cultivation needed for the type of emotional response they were looking to gain. Like someone above said, it lacked "pop". Also bothered me that Duran as a kid (dark skinned) looked nothing like the adult actor (white skinned) but that's minor.

The biggest crime tho, is that the boxing itself was trash. Just uninspired, with countless camera cuts and edits to hide the fact that no-one knew how to box. It made it a chore to appreciate the story being told in the ring. And in the last fight, it felt like they even reused a couple of the same shots in the constant barrage of cuts and edits.
i saw a preview for this last year, and I had the same feeling about the boxing scenes.

Also was bizarre how little energy was focused on Sugar Ray Leonard's wife.

Its an alright movie. De Niro wasnt really good or bad in it. It was meh.

I did like the Geopolitical nature of the film though.

Last edited:

mr x

Superstar
Daps
Was ok.

Reading the posts in here about deniro...so you can make shytty movies over and over and it doesn't tarnish your legacy?

Then why everyone go at nic cage for example? We shouldn't look at his bad films/performances and only judge him for the good ones.

Or any actor for that matter.

waits for someone to act like im comparing deniro to cage and not just the rating system itself