RIP Nichelle Nichols the original "Uhura" of Star Trek

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
I didn't get into Star Trek until 2009 when the reboot film came out, but it's been a wonderful journey going through all of the films and tv shows and Lt. Uhura was a big part of the shows and movies. If I recall, she inspired many females and minorities to go work for NASA too and get into acting because for once on television African Americans weren't being portrayed as the usual maids or funny sidekick characters. Hard to believe that she almost quit the show to go do a successful Broadway play, but MLK came through at the 11th hour and told her why she needed to stay on the show. Gene Roddenberry considered that one of his proudest moments. :rip:

Who does that leave now from the OG show? Just Shatner and Takei?

Last edited:

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
I didn't get into Star Trek until 2009 when the reboot film came out, but it's been a wonderful journey going through all of the films and tv shows and Lt. Uhura was a big part of the shows and movies. If I recall, she inspired many females and minorities to go work for NASA too and get into acting because for once on television African Americans weren't being portrayed as the usual maids or funny sidekick characters. Hard to believe that she almost quit the show to go do a successful Broadway play, but MLK came through at the 11th hour and told her why she needed to stay on the show. Gene Roddenberry considered that one of his proudest moments. :rip:

Who does that leave now from the OG show? Just Shatner and Takei?

Shatner, Takei and Koenig (Chekov)

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Ms. Nichols:rip: showed a Sistah coul exist in the scifi world with her pure beauty, elegance, and intelligence:wow::ohlawd:

Last edited:

downtheline

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in the DMV
Contributed so much

Hopefully the news gives this the attention it deserves. Worked with Dr King, and opened doors for other actors and actresses that otherwise would be downgraded to stereotypical roles. Which still is ever present in the Entertainment industry..

R.I.P.