RG3 and Sam Ponder have been fired by ESPN due to cost cutting measures.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps

ESPN has fired “NFL Countdown” host Sam Ponder and analyst Robert Griffin III, sources briefed on the moves told The Athletic.

Both moves were made for financial reasons as ESPN nears the end of its fiscal year at the end of September, according to a source briefed on the matter. Both Ponder and Griffin made more than seven figures annually.

Ponder only worked in the prestigious role of host “NFL Countdown,” but was, for the most part, off for the rest of the year. ESPN generally reserves these types of schedules for the Joe Bucks, Troy Aikmans and Peyton Mannings of its world.

The potential replacements for Ponder include “NFL Live” host Laura Rutledge and “Get Up” host Mike Greenberg.

Griffin, who as recently as last year had been viewed as a rising star at ESPN, had two years remaining on his deal. He was hired three years ago after gaining interest from Fox Sports and ESPN. At the time, sources at both networks raved about what they described as one of the best auditions they had ever seen.

Griffin was replaced on “Monday Night Countdown” this offseason by Jason Kelce. Griffin also served on one of ESPN’s top college game broadcast teams, working with play-by-play announcer Bob Wischusen.

However, Griffin’s stock has fallen, making him a prime candidate to be let go. While his seven-figure per year salary will be honored, his role had diminished to a point where ESPN decided to not keep him on. He was informed of ESPN’s decision on Thursday morning, according to a source briefed on the matter decision.

ESPN declined to comment.

Last edited:

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Was inevitable he wasn't coming back when they replaced him with Jason Kelce on Countdown
They still had him on contract for two years, I'm assuming they still have to pay him out. At worst they could have had him doing the MAC or Sun Belt games.... he had to piss someone off

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
They still had him on contract for two years, I'm assuming they still have to pay him out. At worst they could have had him doing the MAC or Sun Belt games.... he had to piss someone off
With him being fired, I’d imagine that ESPN will try and fight it.

That’s why I’m wondering what he did that was deemed bad enough to get fired.