Restaurants Switching Out Advertised Fish For Cheaper Fish Finessing Customers

Koli_Kat

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
True...it's hard to fake salmon compared to many of the white fish.

You can tell if you've had a lot of experience cooking certain fish at home but once the chef drizzles it in butter, herbs and spices...they can make plain azz tilapia taste like some $50/plate shyt.

With salmon the hustle is telling you your getting fresh or wild caught salmon

Meanwhile they jazz up some bullshyt frozen farm raised salmon that been in the freezer for months

The M.I.C.

The King In The West 👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte - Washington D.C.
Been like this for a couple years..I run a seafood operation, well took it over, and prices for seafood have gone up exponentially. You're talking about $25, 26/ lb for halibut, 30/lb for +2 Tuna, $10/lb for regular Chilean salmon..etc..

Trash fish like tilapia, triggerfish, etc..a lot of our customers buy those 30-50 lbs at a time. Of course you're going to see quality deteriorate a bit outside of the pricier restaurants with subs or chefs going increasingly to frozen product.

The M.I.C.

The King In The West 👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte - Washington D.C.
True...it's hard to fake salmon compared to many of the white fish.

You can tell if you've had a lot of experience cooking certain fish at home but once the chef drizzles it in butter, herbs and spices...they can make plain azz tilapia taste like some $50/plate shyt.

Wrong.

If you're getting salmon outside of anyplace that's NOT coming from the Faroe Islands or from Verlasso, near Patagonia, in South America then you're taking a risk of it being GMO or farmed without knowing exactly what it's being fed. Taste wise, you wouldn't know much of a difference outside of the rate of spoilage or inspecting the gills, etc..that's why restaurants usually opt for the cheaper Chilean salmon. Butcher shops, some fish markets and high end restaurants tend to pay more to get the best quality.

Tilapia is the worse fish you can buy..they can be raised and fed on ANYTHING including sewage.

Daps
Wrong.

If you're getting salmon outside of anyplace that's NOT coming from the Faroe Islands or from Verlasso, near Patagonia, in South America then you're taking a risk of it being GMO or farmed without knowing exactly what it's being fed. Taste wise, you wouldn't know much of a difference outside of the rate of spoilage or inspecting the gills, etc..that's why restaurants usually opt for the cheaper Chilean salmon. Butcher shops, some fish markets and high end restaurants tend to pay more to get the best quality.

Tilapia is the worse fish you can buy..they can be raised and fed on ANYTHING including sewage.
Yeah the salmon could be farmed...but it's salmon.

With white fish, it could be anything. Farmed or fresh, you don't always know what it is.

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
I do t think I’ve ever had catfish before

Maybe when I was a kid but even then I dunno

Is it really that good?

MajesticLion

Veteran
Daps
An actual good thread from OP :ehh:

From 4 years ago.

Fish fraud: What’s on the menu often isn’t what’s on your plate​

If you splurge on the sea bass or snapper, you may not always be getting what you pay for, even at the fanciest restaurants and upscale fish markets.

There’s something, well, fishy going on with certain favorite fish dishes, according to a new study from the conservation group Oceana.

DNA tests showed that about 21% of the fish researchers sampled was not what it was called on the label or menu. That’s despite nearly a decade of investigations, more regulations and Americans’ appetites growing beyond fish sticks and tuna surprise.

“Consumers are getting ripped off,” said Beth Lowell, Oceana’s deputy vice president. Lowell said this isn’t an isolated problem. Her organization tested more than 400 samples from 277 locations in 24 states and in the District of Columbia. Oceana did not name the markets, stores and restaurants where it purchased the samples.

Among the samples they tested, seafood was more frequently mislabeled in restaurants and at smaller markets than in larger grocery chains. One out of three stores and restaurants visited by the investigative team sold at least one mislabeled item.

Favorites like sea bass and snapper had some of the highest rates of mislabeling. Sea bass was mislabeled 55% of the time and snapper 42% of the time, Oceana’s tests showed. Often, instead of sea bass, they’d get giant perch or Nile tilapia, fish that should be less expensive and is considered lower quality. Dover sole they tested was actually walleye. Lavender jobfish had been substituted for Florida snapper.

“We’ve been testing seafood for nine years now, and every time we do a study, we think, ‘maybe we will no longer see a problem,’ but we keep finding it, and we know it’s having an impact on our oceans,” Lowell said.

Some of the substituted fish was not sustainably caught, even though it was sold as such, meaning an overfished and endangered Atlantic halibut was sold as the more plentiful Pacific halibut. One in four halibut samples the group tested was mislabeled.

For Americans who are trying to be more mindful about the fish they eat; who are worried about the impact of climate change and endangering fish stock; who want to eat food from lakes or oceans closer to home; or for pregnant women trying to avoid fish with high mercury content, this news has got to be frustrating, Lowell said.

“We need to do more to protect consumers,” Lowell said.

Add in corporations/nations illegally fishing in other nations' sovereign waters and this gets messy very quickly.

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
Inception level catfishing. Fishfishing?

fake-fish.jpg

Belize King

I got concepts of a plan.
Daps
What sucks is the average customer wouldn't be able to tell the difference, that unless you are a culinary expert. Unless you sent and paid for all of your dishes to be tested in a lab. It's a shame, and you're paying more for artificial ass fish.

But you can say that's the same for mostly all the foods we eat, unfortunately.
Went to my Jamaican spot a few weeks back to get my Wife some Oxtail. She always get it and is a Miami girl so she been eating Jamaican food all her life.

Got the food and realized it was neck bone.

Shady.

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO

YEA SOME OF THE HOOD SPOTS HAVE
DEFINITELY BEEN SWAPPING OUT
FRIED CATFISH FOR THIS SWAI shyt FOR
A WHILE NOW.

USED TO BE MY CHEAT MEAL ON
FRIDAYS WAY BACK WHEN...
I HAD TO STOP fukkING
WITH IT ONCE I NOTICED
THEY SWITCHED IT UP.
:devil:
:evil:

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I always buy fresh fish still swimming. It’s cheaper than getting it at a restaurant. Also fish is easy to prepare. It’s impossible to tell where the fish came from but at least you get the fish you paid for.