Refuting the myth that Black American music/culture is "Europeanized".

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
As far as north American slaves are concerned...

Back people would never admit that our fight was destroyed when they took away sudanic region cultural influences and motivation. They feed us Christianity and subservient attitudes. We no longer even identify with these people. Some of these people even are called c00ns because of Islam. We even now try to claim that we all came from one region in west Africa when thats not true at all.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Mainly in the way we do church , children, and family is from cacs.

Outside of that, we've transferred and redeveloped African culture. We've even created new aspects to culture, fashion, speaking, music, and ways.... that has been adopted by American and European citizens.... then pushed back out as European

Can you elaborate on the bolded. I'm interested. :smile:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Honestly I think @KidStranglehold made up am argument just to have a reason to make this thread :heh:
Nope. There are people that seriously think that AA culture is westernized/white washed due to there being lack in percussion. I WAS RECENTLY having an argument about this on another site which made me want to create this thread. I'm surprised hearing people say they never heard about this.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Great thread. Speaking for myself, I have personally seen some Hispanics (Puerto Ricans and Dominicans) say that Aframs have no African influences in our culture, and I have also seen actual Africans say that we have no real culture period.

Agreed. I heard this MANY times and on here by some Dominican posters(not trying to diss Dominicans) saying that they have more African elements in their culture than we do.

Heck go to Nairaland and then you'll really see what I'm talking about. IDK how people are thinking this is something new...

HideoKojima

DOOM, all capitals, no trick spellin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Georgia, Home of the trillest
Never got the point in trying to connect everything AAs do back to W.Africa. Can we have our own unique and separate identity? The implications that everything we do somehow is inspired from that is a stretch. You have to take in account of 400 years of disconnect so the influence isnt even there

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Never got the point in trying to connect everything AAs do back to W.Africa. Can we have our own unique and separate identity? The implications that everything we do somehow is inspired from that is a stretch. You have to take in account of 400 years of disconnect so the influence isnt even there

:ehh:

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No because life doesn't work like that, especially in a place like America. In life everything comes from something else. It becomes unique once it has a variety of things that come together to make something new but, the base of each thing comes from something else. Its just how life works.

If anything I see it as a creative thing to have people combine all of these instruments, and styles, to constantly create new forms of music. Everyone knows AA created most of the styles that are popular, but it is important to know how those styles came to be, and from where. If not we already know others will try to take credit, and use it as a way to dis us.

kayslay

African American Princess
Daps
I agree 100% i see nothing wrong with us not being carbon copy of west africans.

kayslay

African American Princess
Daps
I honestly think this is a product of jealousy.
White Americans copy EVERYTHING African Americans. Create. This is a known fact.
Other Black people attempt to claim we have no culture out of cultural inferiority.
If we have and continue to influence and be innovative they have no excuse.