Record-Crushing Run Of 'Titanic' Could Never Be Replicated Today

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
movie is a masterpiece :yeshrug: theres plenty of corny lines and scenes they could have cut out, some of it is cringeworthy to watch now. but the shyt was an absolute monster

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
i saw it 4 times in the theater and i don't even remember why lol

i know for sure i didn't pay 3 of the times lol

Contrefaire

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
West Coast
Some people seem to act like Titanic's success is some kind of inexplicable anomaly but it's always been much simpler to me.

One of the main reasons I think Titanic was so successful is that it touched on a particular event and era that had rarely been showcased in modern film. Pre-war Edwardian era anything was virtually undiscussed, let alone turned into a period movie. But it wasn't just a period piece, it was an epic disaster flick that highlighted a tragedy that, while famous, had been almost forgotten.

Plus the special effects were cutting edge and very well done. Tbh they still hold up to this day. Few films aside from maybe Jurassic Park, Jaws and possibly Terminator can say the same or boast that kind of longevity in the FX department.

That being said, it was honestly just a solid goddamn movie. A lot of action movies (especially action "epics") these days rely too heavily on SFX, exposition and big names to carry an otherwise subpar film, and will happily include tons of cringy, downright AWFUL dialogue the audience is expected to tolerate in order to see the hero eventually win. Of course this isn't to say every second of Titanic was Shakesperian - because there were for sure some cringy lines/cliché scenes - but overall you could tell it was clearly a project that all the actors involved took pretty seriously.

Reece

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I rewatched it last night. fukk that movie had me :mjcry: I forgot how good it was. When Rose made it to New York without Jack and saw the Statue of Liberty, my whole body got chills....then again when she died and went back to the Titanic and they were all there waiting for her :mjcry: I got chills just writing that. Very touching movie. My boy Fabrizio never got to see America either man smh.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I rewatched it last night. fukk that movie had me :mjcry: I forgot how good it was. When Rose made it to New York without Jack and saw the Statue of Liberty, my whole body got chills....then again when she died and went back to the Titanic and they were all there waiting for her :mjcry: I got chills just writing that. Very touching movie. My boy Fabrizio never got to see America either man smh.
It's pretty dope how in the movie Jack tells her to meet him at the clock once dinner was over. Her decision to meet him there changed her life.

Then at the end of the movie, when she has her dream or whatever, she meets him at the clock.

Reece

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It's pretty dope how in the movie Jack tells her to meet him at the clock once dinner was over. Her decision to meet him there changed her life.

Then at the end of the movie, when she has her dream or whatever, she meets him at the clock.

Yea...they had more fun kicking it with the workers and the poor than the stuffy elites. Sad how almost none of them made it over but, Cal lives.

The end was a gorgeous scene. Not even gonna hold you, as a man that doesn’t get moved easily, it had me feeling fuzzy.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
That's the only reason people watched it. I remember watching the Replacement Killers in theatres with my cousin and then I convinced him we should stay to watch Titanic. :win:

I also remember a kid from Hong Kong in my class got a bootleg camera version on VHS and that shyt was being transferred from kid to kid every couple of days :dead:

It was before the internet when scrambled spice was the best could you go :manny:

I finally watched it last night. First half is a lame romantic flick for 20 year old women. Second half after the iceberg, a disaster movie, is pure piff :wow:

Her titties were nice, but I understand the era. My boss said the same shyt about this 70s early 80s movie called Lifeform if you ever see it on. Basically 1 1/2 of a big titty vampire pawg walking around nude :shaq: