Daps
Reppin
NYC
Box Office: Record-Crushing Run Of 'Titanic' Could Never Be Replicated Today

Box Office: Record-Crushing Run Of 'Titanic' Could Never Be Replicated Today

Nov 28, 2017 @ 11:00 AM
titanic-1997-56-g-1024x664.jpg

Paramount and Fox

Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio in James Cameron's 'Titanic,' image courtesy of Paramount and Fox

I was planning on doing a Titanic retrospective on the film’s actual 20thanniversary in about three weeks. But AMC and Dolby are aligning with Paramount/Viacom Inc. to release James Cameron’s Oscar-winning classic into 87 AMC/Dolby Vision theaters for one week only starting on Friday, with 20 of those theaters offering 3D prints. As you probably know, the Kate Winslet/Leonardo DiCaprio romantic drama opened with rave reviews and a $28 million debut weekend and then legging it like mad to an eventual $600m domestic total, along with $1.8b worldwide, which was unthinkable at the time.

Both were sky-high records back in 1997, and the film was only usurped by Cameron’s Avatar 12 years later. Titanic, which won 11 Oscars (including Best Picture), was arguably the last of its kind in terms of stupefyingly leggy blockbusters. It took advantage of an emerging overseas market (where it earned $1.2 billion overseas alone courtesy of co-producer 20th Century Fox), but it also took advantage of a period where an event movie was just that.

There are plenty of reasons why the film went insane at the box office. It was -- and still is -- a terrific and heartbreakingly moving film for one, and it indeed played off DiCaprio’s teen idol status while showcasing superb special effects in service of a classically doomed romance. Oh, and it also had relatively clear sailing for the first three months of 1998.

Yes, Titanic was already a big hit by the time 1997 ended. It opened with $28 million in that golden pre-Christmas weekend, made another $35m over its second Fri-Sun frame and then another $33m over New Years’. It had $157 million domestic (5.6x its opening weekend) by January 4. But then it just kept going and going and going.

And here’s a key item in its record-crushing run, one where it spent the first 15 weekends atop the box office: The first three months of the year were filled with old-school movies. This was 1998, where the very idea of a movie like Lost in Space opening in April was an anomaly. And while there were plenty of good movies that opened in January (Fallen), February (Dark City) and March (Primary Colors) of 1998, none of them stood a chance against the unsinkable cinematic vessel.

You had action films (The Replacement Killers), cult comedies (The Big Lebowski), star-driven thrillers (Twilight), indie gems (Zero Effect) and unapologetic schlock (Deep Rising, which essentially invented the SyFy Channel original movie). But these were small movies, some of them better than others, and they couldn’t survive against a genuine event film. Aside from Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore’s The Wedding Singer, the Fugitive spinoff U.S. Marshalls and (amusingly enough) the Leonardo DiCaprio vehicle The Man in the Iron Mask (based on the sequel to The Three Musketeers), almost everything that opened during Titanic’s initial run died badly.

Some of these movies were never going to be big hits, and some (like Dark City, Big Lebowski and Wild Things) have gone on to cult status. Titanic topped the weekend box office for 15 straight weekends, a record, falling to no. 2 only on the respective opening days of U.S. Marshalls and the rerelease of Grease. And then, in the first week of April, it lost its throne to Lost in Space, a big-budget adaptation of a popular TV show that, for its time, was a pretty huge movie to be opening one month before summer.

Without boiling Titanic’s record run to a single factor, a huge part of the equation was a relatively quiet January/February/March slate in 1998. Titanic sailed forever and ever because it was the proverbial top dog for the first 3.5 months of its release. Today we get so-called event films almost every weekend all throughout the year.

It is telling that 2018 will be something of a test run for year-round blockbusters. We’re getting big movies starting right at the beginning of the year (Insidious: The Lost Key, Proud Mary, The Maze Runner: The Death Cure) and continuing into February (Black Panther and Fifty Shades Freed), March (Red Sparrow, A Wrinkle in Time, Tomb Raider, Pacific Rim: Uprising, Ready Player One) and April (New Mutants and Rampage). And that’ll lead right into the start of the summer season before fall sees Goosebumps 2, Robin Hood, Venom and Jungle Book Origins.

Twenty years ago, even one of those movies opening outside of the summer months would have been unique enough to make them a proverbial event movie. But today they will do battle against each other in the hopes that there are enough moviegoing dollars to spread around. When you have a new would-be event movie almost every weekend, it is that much more challenging to keep screens and maintain momentum past opening weekend.

We saw that in late summer 2016 when Ghostbusters, Star Trek Beyond, Jason Bourne and Suicide Squad all took brutal second weekend plunges right on top of each other. Of course, as we’ve seen this year, the movies that do click (Get Out, Wonder Woman, Baby Driver, etc.) have been pretty leggy. But there is a difference between a 4-5x multiplier and snagging nearly six times your opening weekend in just the first two weeks and then maintaining said momentum for another 90 days.

While inflation and overseas expansion have allowed Titanic’s raw numbers to be challenged, the sheer amount of tickets sold (around 128.4 million in its initial domestic release) is still among the biggest of all time, behind only Star Wars, The Sound of Music and Gone with the Wind. Titanic was a bridge between the old-school blockbuster (a moderate opening weekend and weeks-upon weeks of huge box office fueled by word of mouth) and the new-school global hit (an expanded overseas marketplace and cutting-edge CGI). That it is still a towering cinematic achievement that makes every single life lost on that ship every bit as tragic as the eventual fates of its star-crossed lovers didn’t hurt, but that’s why it still holds up 20 years later.

I imagine that we will never see another movie perform like Titanic did two decades ago, both in terms of longevity and total tickets sold to domestic moviegoers. It had a wide-open playing field that today’s would-be event movies could only dream of. One irony is that James Cameron's Titanic lived up to the myth afforded to its title ship partially because there were no cinematic icebergs in its way.

If you like what you're reading, follow @ScottMendelson on Twitter, and "like" The Ticket Booth on Facebook. Also, check out my archives for older work

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The thing that was always crazy to me was the amount of people that went back to see it second and third times(I remember there was an article saying the repeat watch rate was over 20 percent.)

I mean it’s over 3 hours long, so realistically how many times a day can a theater play it

Shogun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
I was in middle school at the time :flabbynsick: and saw that shyt three times in the theatre :heh:
I didnt even really mean to, the shyt just happened. Everyone was going to that movie. I went with my friends, then with family, then another group of friends who I happened to be hanging out with and they decided to go.
Them PG-13 titties (pre-internet) was worth the price of admission alone for a young Shogun :shaq:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
As the article stated, it's not that a Titanic-like lovefest can never be duplicated. It absolutely can and will happen. It's that the 1997-1998 release schedule landscape won't ever be duplicated.

Back then, there was no competition in the months between January and summer. The movie theater was virtually dead for that period of time, with studios dumping their tax write offs in theaters. But that reality is gone. The theaters invested in adding more screens, more luxuries, more gimmicks, and the studios responded by releasing blockbusters pretty much year round.

Now you have studios releasing their tentpoles in February, March, April. That was unheard of in 1997, so a movie like Titanic released in December could ride the entire spring with smooth sailing and spend months at #1 at the box office.

Here was the "competition" of new releases for the 11 weeks Titanic spent at #1.

Jan 2-9
The Boxer opened at #18 with $125k

Jan 9-15

Firestorm opened at #8 with $5 million

Jan 16-22

Fallen opened at #4 with $11 million

Hard Rain opened at #5 with $9 million

Half Baked opened at #6 with $8 million

Star Kid opened at #11 with $3 million

Jan 23-29

Spice World opened at #2 with $11 million

Phantoms opened at #9 with $3 million

Jan 30-Feb 5

Great Expectations opened at #2 with $11 million

Desperate Measures opened at #6 with $7 million

Deep Rising opened at #7 with $5 million

Feb 6-12

The Replacement Killers opened at #2 with $10 million

Blues Brothers 2000 opened at #4 with $7 million

Feb 13-19

The Wedding Singer opened at #2 with $25 million

Sphere
opened at #3 with $18 million

The Borrowers opened at #6 with $7 million

Feb 20-26

Senseless opened at #5 with $6 million

Palmetto opened at #8 with $3 million

Feb 27-March 5

Dark City opened at #4 with $7 million

Krippendorf's Tribe opened at #7 with #4 million

Caught Up opened at #11 with $3 million

Kissing a Fool opened at #12 with $2 million

March 6-12

U.S. Marshals opened at #2 with $21 million

Twilight opened at #4 with $7 million

The Big Lebowski opened at #5 with $7 million

Hush opened at #6 with $7 million

March 13-19

Man in the Iron Mask opened at #2 with $23 million ($75k less than Titanic)

March 20-26

Primary Colors opened at #2 with $15 million

Wild Things opened at #4 with $12 million

Mr. Nice Guy opened at #6 with $6 million

March 27-April 2

Grease (Re-Release) opened at #2 with $14 million

The Newtown Boys opened at #9 with $5 million

Ride opened at #10 with $3 million

Meet the Deedles
opened at #11 with $2 million

April 3-9

Lost in Space opened at #1 with $26 million

To put this in perspective, the re-release of Grease pulled in $14 million for a week. If we ignore Titanic, that box office number was high enough to win six consecutive weeks (and nine overall ) during Titanic's #1 window streak.

JahBuhLun

Graphic Alchemist
Daps
Didn't hurt that the movie was about the most famous disaster in the history of the world. If the movie was called Britannic, nobody would've given a damn.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I was in middle school, probably 6th grade, saw it in theaters....I am going to keep it uncomfortably honest and admit I was kinda teary eyed at the end lol....I still say they both should have been on the damn door.

I saw so many of those movies in early 98, like a dozen off that list easy, that was really the year, I became a movie "person", and started going to the theater by myself sometimes, even as a kid.

Last edited:

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps
never seen it, seemed like a female movie. But people keep talking about Kate Windslet topless :patrice:

That's the only reason people watched it. I remember watching the Replacement Killers in theatres with my cousin and then I convinced him we should stay to watch Titanic. :win:

I also remember a kid from Hong Kong in my class got a bootleg camera version on VHS and that shyt was being transferred from kid to kid every couple of days :dead:

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
I remember my fam dragged me to it..I think I was about 13...shyt was alright...only got interesting once that shyt started to sink. don't think I've ever seen it in full since then.