Ready or not, the iPhone’s home button and Touch ID are going away

k5banga

Evil has a NEW face..
Daps
Ive had the X since launch never had a problem with the Face ID or using Face ID with Apple Pay. As far as having to have the phone in you hand to open that is false also, there are times a text will go off with my phone on the bed and I'll look at it and it opens. I thought the Face ID thing would be a chore, but as others have said in here, I don't miss the home button personally

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Do you use Apple Pay?
I use it very often and like how well it works with the home button. My main concern about Face ID is it not working as seemless with Apple pay as it does with the home button. As far as being able to easily unlock the phone I’m not too worried
I do not use Apple pay, but I think you can start it up quickly by double pressing the right button on the X.

Slystallion

Live to Strive
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Do you use Apple Pay?
I use it very often and like how well it works with the home button. My main concern about Face ID is it not working as seemless with Apple pay as it does with the home button. As far as being able to easily unlock the phone I’m not too worried

with the x you click on the right button twice then it reads your face...is pretty spot on as long as your face is looking at the phone

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
To the people complaining about Face ID, that’s the norm when it comes to Apple’s first iteration. Touch ID wasn’t on point when it first dropped either, but the 2nd version was perfect (6S and beyond). iPhone X users are basically beta testers. If this years phone debut the second generation Face ID, it’s going to be miles better than the first.

As for in-display Touch ID, this might not happen until 2020, a full year when it’s the standard for Android. Apple would have perfected then with USB-C.
Given that Face ID is basically a Xbox Kinect built on the front of the iPhone I question this. Face ID isn't really slow the real issue is that Touch ID involved you actively doing something to unlock your phone while Face ID doesn't.

Just because I look at my phone doesn't mean I want it unlocked or want to bypass the lock screen. I could just be glancing at notifications. The problem then becomes how does the phone tell when I just want to see notifications vs when I actually want to use it.

As it stands now Face ID unlocks the phone but assumes you just want to see your notifications and doesn't bypass the lock screen. If you want to use the phone that adds an extra step to getting it to a usable state. If they removed that and just sent you to the home screen then it would add an extra step to see notifications.

The only real improvement Touch ID got was getting faster. Face ID getting faster doesn't change much.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Face ID isn't all that good. It has a very limited range and requires the phone be held upright camera on top. The novelty of it wore off for me about a month after getting the X.

Using a phone in the car with the fingerprint sensor you didn't even have to look at the phone to unlock it. There's no great way to unlock the iPhone X without picking it up and/or looking at it.

I pick up my Note9 and by the time I'm looking at it the phone is already unlocked and past the lock screen. I pick up my iPhone X and it takes a while to unlock and swipe up in comparison.

Yeah, that's to protect your information unlike touchID which unlocks when you're sleeping or dead

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Given that Face ID is basically a Xbox Kinect built on the front of the iPhone I question this. Face ID isn't really slow the real issue is that Touch ID involved you actively doing something to unlock your phone while Face ID doesn't.

Just because I look at my phone doesn't mean I want it unlocked or want to bypass the lock screen. I could just be glancing at notifications. The problem then becomes how does the phone tell when I just want to see notifications vs when I actually want to use it.

As it stands now Face ID unlocks the phone but assumes you just want to see your notifications and doesn't bypass the lock screen. If you want to use the phone that adds an extra step to getting it to a usable state. If they removed that and just sent you to the home screen then it would add an extra step to see notifications.

The only real improvement Touch ID got was getting faster. Face ID getting faster doesn't change much.

I can tell you dont have a X because it works.. you can look at notifications without it unlocking

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I can tell you dont have a X because it works.. you can look at notifications without it unlocking
No you can't. I can tell you don't have an X because it hides your notifications until it verifies who you are which also unlocks the phone. All it tells you before is what app the notification is from and when Face ID verifies you then it shows the content.

Notice the Lock above my Notification. I can't read it until it's in the unlocked position.
2eghh0j.jpg

33jttf5.jpg

Last edited:

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
No you can't. I can tell you don't have an X because it hides your notifications until it verifies who you are which also unlocks the phone. All it tells you before is what app the notification is from and when Face ID verifies you then it shows the content.
Looool, that’s a setting that can be turned off, you clown

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Looool, that’s a setting that can be turned off, you clown
Which is beside the point of what I said. Face ID has no way to determine if you want to use the phone or just look at notifications so it always assumes you simply wanted to see your notifications and doesn't bypass the lock screen. Getting past the lock screen requires an extra step. On phones with Touch ID if you put your finger on the scanner properly it jumps past the lock screen so fast you almost don't see it.

So if Face ID works faster what difference does it make if you're still sitting at the lock screen until you swipe up? The phone has no way of knowing your intention. If you turn on the screen it's always gonna try to ID you and unlock.

Krazy

Rifle weh taller dan palm tree
Daps
Reppin
Judgement Yard
Which is beside the point of what I said. Face ID has no way to determine if you want to use the phone or just look at notifications so it always assumes you simply wanted to see your notifications and doesn't bypass the lock screen. Getting past the lock screen requires an extra step. On phones with Touch ID if you put your finger on the scanner properly it jumps past the lock screen so fast you almost don't see it.

So if Face ID works faster what difference does it make if you're still sitting at the lock screen until you swipe up? The phone has no way of knowing your intention. If you turn on the screen it's always gonna try to ID you and unlock.
Not the best work around but swipe up as soon as you turn your phone screen on instead of waiting for the padlock to change

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Not the best work around but swipe up as soon as you turn your phone screen on instead of waiting for the padlock to change
I don't see it as a problem. What I'm saying is how does Face ID improve? I've counted and Face ID works within 2 seconds of you picking up the phone once the screen is on. Unless they can increase the range you can hold the phone away from you or make it so if you hold the phone sideways or upside down it still works where's the room for improvement?

Even if they improve the internal specs of the X we're already dealing with a phone that has a processor far faster than the average person needs. Maybe they add some RAM or a bigger battery but the way I see it until 5G takes over the iPhone X is the one to stick with. I don't really see the Xs being that much an improvement. Maybe next year's iPhone will be 5G, Even then 5G probably won't be common enough with network build out and priced low enough on plans to have an upgrade be worth it.

Anybody with an iPhone 7 or better should hold off on an upgrade for the foreseeable future.