Rate this HBCU Day 81: Morgan State University

How would you rate Morgan State University?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 1 11.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 2 22.2%

• 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thenatural

Superstar
Daps
I went there from 05-09. Both my sisters graduated. I can say I got my degree but a lot of the negative shyt said by @PortCity_Lou_CooperRoad is true. They got the new president in and the school's improved leaps and bounds and I hate to say it because Dr. Richardson is a friend of the family.

Luckily I was in the engineering school so the buildings were a lot newer. But the cafeteria was terrible and gym too. I remember the chair of the Civil engineering department getting robbed because he had to go his car which wasn't on the campus. Financial aid always had nikkas stressing about whether they would be able to attend for the semester. It was some baddies out there but they were all trying to fukk the same nikkas on the football and basketball teams or nikkas you knew that didn't even try to go to class.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
After Morgan

Earl G. Graves Jr.

Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Earl_G._Graves_Jr.

Graves Sr., attended Yale University and earned an MBA from Harvard University. While at Yale he was a member of Skull and Bones and captained the college ..
5e8e81dfc3203.image.jpg

Butch , the oldest son, is Jr. He went to Yale. Not the father.

Thick_Necc_Jenkins

TheColi's Favorite Artist
Daps
Reppin
Port City Louisiana Cooper Road
@PortCity_Lou_CooperRoad

I assume you are born raised in N.O.
What attracted you to a school in Baltimore? As opposed to in state or region? And also, if the facilities/admin were janky, why didn't you transfer after the first year?
Already matriculation. I been in Maryland for awhile. When I graduated HS they said that a new hc was in town....and the school was gon need walk on. It was either Morgan or Grambling State tbt. Baltimore had the sexual degeneracy I was seeking. :hubie:

Thick_Necc_Jenkins

TheColi's Favorite Artist
Daps
Reppin
Port City Louisiana Cooper Road
I went there from 05-09. Both my sisters graduated. I can say I got my degree but a lot of the negative shyt said by @PortCity_Lou_CooperRoad is true. They got the new president in and the school's improved leaps and bounds and I hate to say it because Dr. Richardson is a friend of the family.

Luckily I was in the engineering school so the buildings were a lot newer. But the cafeteria was terrible and gym too. I remember the chair of the Civil engineering department getting robbed because he had to go his car which wasn't on the campus. Financial aid always had nikkas stressing about whether they would be able to attend for the semester. It was some baddies out there but they were all trying to fukk the same nikkas on the football and basketball teams or nikkas you knew that didn't even try to go to class.
I met lifelong good friends who helped me kick start my art career...so that's the only plus.

I remember freshman year a chick on the freshman band got tricked into drinking via peer pressure from upperclassmen and she was sitting on one of the BGLOs benching crying under the light from Holmes Hall. I met up with her by luck she told me they got her drunk and ran a train against her will. I tried my best to get her into the campus police but she declined. She later dropped out mid-terms. She was small like Glorilla too. Smh.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
I think the good breh @BmoreGorilla went to Morgan State, too.
Fun fact: I first learned about Morgan State by watching 227; IIRC, that's the school Calvin attended.
Yes proud graduate of the class of 05 :blessed:

I took a rough route to get to the school I really wanted to go to in the first place. Started out at a PWI in 99 on a football scholarship. Lost the scholarship due to being a knucklehead. My mama convinced me to go to community college and get my AA degree in general studies which I did as a part time student. Took me a year and a half to get that. Got to Morgan in the fall of 02 as a History major with most of my prerequisites out the way and was living at home since I grew up less than 10 minutes away

First thing Morgan did was fukk up my health insurance. I was under my mama’s policy and I turned in the necessary paperwork which they failed to file by the due date. So a breh was without insurance for a year
:martin:

Was supposed to graduate in 04 but I got a D in the foreign language class I took as a requirement for a liberal arts degree which they considered failing. This was in 04 and I didn’t find out I couldn’t walk until two weeks before graduation
:martin:

So I took the class over again in the summer and got a B. Had to wait damn near a whole year just to walk so I basically ran the streets and got into a bunch of bullshyt while holding down a job. One of the greatest years of my life
:wow:

Bedsides all that Morgan was dope as far as academics go. The professors I had really pushed me and acted like they gave a fukk. I learned so much history that they don’t teach in schools. Also had so many good experiences with all the girls there. It was like shooting fish in a barrel and they were choosing heavy becuz in comparison ain’t really that many dudes that went there

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Already matriculation. I been in Maryland for awhile. When I graduated HS they said that a new hc was in town....and the school was gon need walk on. It was either Morgan or Grambling State tbt. Baltimore had the sexual degeneracy I was seeking. :hubie:
I respect the honest answer.

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
Yes proud graduate of the class of 05 :blessed:

Bedsides all that Morgan was dope as far as academics go. The professors I had really pushed me and acted like they gave a fukk. I learned so much history that they don’t teach in schools. Also had so many good experiences with all the girls there. It was like shooting fish in a barrel and they were choosing heavy becuz in comparison ain’t really that many dudes that went there

Props, when I was in a community college western civilization history class in Conn a white professor once told us that Europeans used to use the same pot for cooking and excreting until the Moors went up there and cleaned that practice up. :laugh:

AceMan

Superstar
Daps
I'll rate a lil later, but I'll say they probably have the most beautiful campus/student center out of ALL HBCUs
Alright, so I'm going off 2018 to current basically

-Crazy to read how slack Morgan State was back then and how the school is now. Goes to show how Leadership at HBCUs is extremely important. (Look at Howard Uni.'s current predicament for the opposite effect)

-I'll repeat: Morgan State has a BEAUTIFUL CAMPUS currently. Student Center with Chic Fil A is excellent! Football Stadium actually looks great (most athletic facilities at HBCUs are lacking)
Morgan-State-University-Jenkins-Hall-Int-Vertical-1270.jpg

chik-fil-a.jpeg

pressboxhughes.jpg

- Northeast Baltimore though...
lufface.png

- Variety of beautiful women from all over; NJ/Philly/Baltimore/DC/Delaware especially. (Currently smashing a Delta from Morgan State; she's an aspiring model from Bmore)

-Had record incoming freshmen class number recently so it's growing and thriving

So I'll actually rate a 10 because I've enjoyed myself extremely the last few times I've been there

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Notable Alumni:
SQuqv.jpg

Martin is from MD, and plenty of his friends and perhaps a series writer likely attended MSU. Think they made it a point that Gina was a grad, and not just wearing the HBCU sweatshirts that were popular in that era.

Very well rounded list of real life alumni. Was not aware of who Mr. Samuel L. Myers. Thank You, will now look up his story.
Again, as I've been saying all series, once it's completed we can all have informed conversations about past present and future of education in this country. But advocates in the govt. have been critical to the survival of HBCUs.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Great profile.
Leadership and trajectory have it positioned to be one of the top schools in the region, and likely the first HBCU to attain R1 designation.
Throughout the series, we've read about when/how/under whom certain schools became what we know them now to be.
Wilson has big plans and expectations for Morgan State. And he has the track record and relationships to follow through on those plans.
Going to take 15 years to see the full results of his vision for the school.
Have read a few articles about this. Mr. Wilson is an out of the box thinker. We put up a few threads about the different ways he is expanding Morgan's reach. A few stories about Morgan's relationship with academia in West African countries

Through the partnership, a framework is being created in which early, mid-level, and senior career faculty and staff members from Nigeria’s 238 public universities, colleges of education and polytechnics can pursue their Ph.Ds. and postdoctoral research at Morgan State University in fields and disciplines relevant to the developmental needs of Nigeria. Toward this end, TETFund will provide the funding, via scholarships and other grants, to support the educational expenses (tuition/fees + living expenses) of Ph.D. students and the salary plus living expenses of postdoctoral students.
The agreement could bring up to 50 (no less than 30) new Ph.D. students and up to 20 postdoctoral researchers to the Morgan State campus each year. Morgan State hopes to welcome the first cohort of students from Nigeria this coming fall.

Even thought this is a subforum of adults, we had to point out the obvious in that thread to trolls. That guaranteed revenue coming into a school was a net plus.
What wasn't obvious to me at the time was that it also helps MSU's drive to move to R1

[*award at least 20 research/scholarship doctoral degrees each year] is one of the requirements for R1 Classification

Instead of hoping, wishing, and trying to recruit doctoral students to the school, he brokered a pipeline of them and secured their tuition payments. Perfect illustration of the synergy of having global connections.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Have read a few articles about this. Mr. Wilson is an out of the box thinker.

[*award at least 20 research/scholarship doctoral degrees in the update year] is one of the requirements for R1 Classification

Morgan State University: Leading a Transformation
In Northeast Baltimore, ivy stretches down the walls of the former Lake Clifton Eastern High School. Two decades after the public school closed due to declining enrollment, the vacant 59-acre site that officials once feared was sinking into the lake it rests on sits unused with empty classrooms and facilities. But where others see a dilapidated old school campus, Morgan State President David Wilson sees a thriving technology and research park, one that's part of a larger plan to grow his historically Black university into a local powerhouse that can rival the influence of the country's most prestigious higher education institutions.

Dr. Wilson and Dr. Mfume are seriously doing wonders for Morgan. First hand I know the business school is producing quality placement at top corporations Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Underarmour, Microsoft. They have an innovation lab that partners with Google and Stanford to provide innovation concepts to select top students. If you're in state and have 3.4+ GPA from community College your not dropping a dime to attend. 10/10

InGodWeTrust

Tall & Handsome in ATL
Daps
Didn’t the students there have a bunch of sex tapes leaked back when sex tapes were new?