How fine is Gabourey Sidibe?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Misreeya

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Sudan/New Zealand.
Gave her a 10 specifically for representation. She was needed in the industry. She helped a lot of fat Black girls self esteem especially seeing her in a positive uplifting light. I also don't think her face is ugly. I think she needs a better makeup/style team.

I hate to sound like a "bytch", but i am going to be that for a second. Is being morbidly obese a good representation for girls to look up to?

Aphrodite

The Black Venus
Daps
I hate to sound like a "bytch", but i am going to be that for a second. Is being morbidly obese a good representation for girls to look up to?

Is misogyny a great representation for boys to look up to? or hypermasculinity for boys which teaches boys to never show emotion/sensitivity even though it's a human trait? Or are instagram hoes spreading their cheeks open and twerking in videos for followers a good representation for girls to look up to because they have slimmer bodies with their makeup and hair done? You tell me. There's a lot of things people consider "normal" and don't bat an eye at. It's conditioning.

But what about the girls with health problems and get big from medication or the weight comes on from a disability that requires them to sit in a wheelchair or not be active on their legs? Should they hate themselves while fat? Never smile? Never take a photo? Not everyone is fat because they eat a lot and they're lazy.

Seeing a chick like Gabby happy and still living her life and not letting her being big cripple her social life is healthy. Why? It can motivate some girls to do shyt they would normally fear because of the risk of being clowned. Like taking up dance classes or acting. Gabby is always dancing on videos.

You can't rush people's unique paths. You want Gabby to lose weight right now. That's not how it works. She may take a few more years before she slims down. Maybe she has to deal with experiences in this skin for a little longer (or forever).

And anyone you can think of (as weird) represents other people. Representation is for everyone.

Aphrodite

The Black Venus
Daps
So are we gonna act like for example...since Rihanna is slim. She's a better role model than Gabby? Walking around in chaps with her ass out and grinding on the ground on stage while yelling in goat?

Stop thinking of celebrities to be role models to your kids and teach them to be individuals. Take a little from celebrities but not to depend on them. It's so weird how people set up celebrities as actual idols with indirect responsibilities. Gabby was fat before she became famous. It's not like she just got fat and how unrealistic would it be if she pulled a Jennifer Hudson (got gastric bypass) and pretended she got small from only healthy eating when most people can't afford surgeries like that? She'd be selling an illusion/false hope. Gabby is one of those celebs (Like Leslie Jones) who aren't gonna be hella airbrushed and altered in pics because people know them for looking unconventional/ realistic. They look like real chicks you will see in your regular life.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
And then when I flip her?

becky-empire-e1446736148482.png

:francis:
someone smiley this, please.

Weaver31

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Va
I gave her a 3. She could go up to 5-7 with weight loss and training. She morbidly obese and that isn't good for her health. She has a good personality seemingly and is funny and confident. The fact that her self-esteem is still OK after the hateful comments I'm sure she read online....I give her kudos. Glad to see her being represented because large dark skinned and just large women like her need more representation.