Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
A lot of heavy names attached to this anime

Consumed

Superstar
Daps
Finished the first season of Space Dandy...blown away by it's sheer creativity

I'm talking about a ramen shop on top of an asteroid in an alternate dimension that delivers food directly through a wormhole

An entire planet of zombies living a day to day, peaceful life void of crime using yogurt as a substitute for meat to end world hunger. Then life insurance companies try to hire snipers to kill them before they file claims

An entire planet of plants that have evolved into able bodied organisms and created an organized civilization. Concepts of microbiology are cleverly interwoven into their designs and dialogue

A vaccum and coffee maker robot fall in love....then the coffee maker gets recalled and the vaccum has to rescue her from a planet where rejected robots plot to get revenge on mandkind by forming a giant trash megazord

Understand why some people find Space Dandy to be stupid, but to me it's nothing short of brilliant. Took the concept of space exploration and tossed a billion unique ideas into it with jaw dropping animation and character designs

Posted this in 2016. I'm pretty sure Space Dandy is still my favorite adventure anime. It uses space as an excuse to go crazy with off the wall concepts you won't see anywhere else in the medium.. Has an all star team of collaborators who were allowed the freedom to pitch their own vision for individual episodes giving them each unique themes and direction. MASSIVE budget and it shows through the production values - one of the best looking anime of the era. The first season takes time to get used to because there is no linear story and there are no strong lead characters - for that reason it may not be for everyone. but if you can settle into the rhythm of watching a journey that is trying to cover as much ground as it possibly can in 26 episodes its brilliant. Second season is full of hits.

As per usual with Watanabe anime, Space Dandy borrows inspiration from different cultures and genres that are not distinctly Japanese. The soundtrack is full of disco and funk instrumentals. It's not Bebop or Champloo in terms of OST quality, but its somewhere on that next level.

It has one of the greatest English dubs of all time. IMO even better than Bebop that does lose things in translation. The main character, Dandy, looks more American than anything else. One of the very few anime that a Western Audience can appreciate even more than Japan.

giving it a 10. its somewhere in my top fifteen anime ever.

Last edited:

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
Really funny show and great concept. I usually don't expect to laugh so much at anime.