Rastas...Jamaicans...Why y'all worship an Ethiopian?

Givethanks

Superstar
Daps
I love how ignorant the coli can get, mfkrs can go to their local Caribbean spot and probably ask a "Jamaican" this themselves but you know they wont :mjlol:

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Tons of Ethiopians don't even like sallasie too
sometimes people let things live because of the symbolism. he gave a lot of people hope and something to believe in. I've never actually considered him a deity nor do i think most do outside the most hardcore.

I mean race isn't real and it affects how we live and have lived in this world for hundreds of years since it was instituted. Something doesn't have to be real to have effect

5% rhetoric carried a lot of people and gave them meaningful purpose in life as well. We don't have to be literal gods to benefit from that belief system. Christ doesn't have to be real for Christians to benefit off his lessons.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Sallasie didn't even want to be called a black man, he considered himself caucasian (he also wanted Ethiopia to be colonized so they can turn "modern", but that's a different topic for another day) :mjlol::scust:

and yet here you have these rastas basing their religion off him:picard:

Umm, what? So why didn’t he just surrender to the Italians? Why was he in the League of Nations telling cacs to their faces that they either need to stand up to their responsibilities and help them against a member state’s aggression or face that same energy at their doorstep? Gtfoh don’t speak on my people dumbass and if it was some bootlicking banda Ethioc00n that has no knowledge of self that told you this then kindly advise that dikkhead to educate themselves….

As for the OP’s question, a simple google search would answer your question. Garvey said a Black king would be crowned in the East and Selassie’s coronation was seen as that moment. Garvey is considered a prophet in Rastafari so obviously the rise of H.I.M. was an example of prophecy. Also, Ethiopia’s place in biblical scripture helped in this as well. Things like Ethiopianism (which was the work of African Americans like David Walker and Martin Delaney) used the symbol of “Ethiopia” in the Bible as a means to prove that not only were Black people NOT inherently inferior but are in fact more godly and majestic than even whites themselves. It was the earliest form/expression of Black Nationalism and Pan Africanism.

So there’s a very long arc of history regarding how/why Ethiopia became a focal point in Rastafari. I’d say that the reason why Ethiopianism waned on an international level in the 20th century is because the few ignorant Ethiopian souls whom had influence that allowed Europeans to spear-head the creation of “Ethiopian studies” also allowed Europeans full access to define what that history and identity actually is. Very much like how Malcolm argued that having your enemy teach you about yourself was counterproductive. Just like how the allegory of Willie Lynch described how divide and conquer works. It’s the same phenomenon throughout Africa and the Black world at large.

cheek100

Truuu
Supporter
Daps
sometimes people let things live because of the symbolism. he gave a lot of people hope and something to believe in. I've never actually considered him a deity nor do i think most do outside the most hardcore.

I mean race isn't real and it affects how we live and have lived in this world for hundreds of years since it was instituted. Something doesn't have to be real to have effect

5% rhetoric carried a lot of people and gave them meaningful purpose in life as well. We don't have to be literal gods to benefit from that belief system. Christ doesn't have to be real for Christians to benefit off his lessons.
i agree with all this i have no issue with the lion of judah or rastafari or 5%. all of them had major influence in my life. i let mfs do what they do 🤷🏽‍♂️

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Anyone mention Leonard Howell in here ?

Not one person, as far as I’m concerned, Black people, hell any people, have a right to adopt what works for them and use it. Rastafari has an extremely Pro Black/Pan-African ethos which agrees with my worldview.

There are many Black spiritual systems, and even some non-Black ones, that would do us good when it comes to spiritual healing, the building of a common philosophy, and breaking the bond between spiritual practice and the reinforcement of white nationalism.

It’s like how the NOI was stylized in a way that fit the experience of Black people in America, had an Orthodox form of Islam been preached it might not have been successful. Not being wholly dogmatic is important, it’s why Malcolm was able to evolve beyond the NOO while the others were completely dependent on the old doctrine.