Rapsody Opens Up About 9th Wonder Relationship: ‘We Didn’t Always See Eye To Eye’

Tommy Gibbs

Superstar
Daps
Told me he's so obsessed with purity and cosigns while being completely out of touch with where rap is that she had no shot. Even in an era where women rappers are everywhere. I don't think any of her Jamla albums have featured a woman rapper either.
nothing wrong with staying in your lane. Doing a song with someone you obviously don't listen to and your fanbase doesn't is not always a recipe for success. How many Gucci Mane fans bought that new Common/Pete Rock since Gucci appeared on Common's album a few years ago? This isn't the 90s. Fans will only listen to what they want to. Music is fukking free and people still can't get fans to listen to it.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Nobody likes 9th.

He's been an *sshole since right after The Minstrel Show dropped. Just speaking from personal experience and what I see other people saying constantly. Dude basically thinks he's the GOAT, for some reason, and has an ego that doesn't match the limited talent he has. He's always been on that "big fish, little pond" sh*t in NC, and a lot of the dudes he started out with, have said he's way too gassed now. Why? Nobody seems to know because his accomplishments are mad low level.

He got a beat on a Hov album and thought he was Quincy Jones, lol. Phonte has spoken about it a lot. The Listening was a classic, but 9th's catalogue is far from legendary status. Those pedestrian ass beats don’t justify the way this dude goes around acting like he's Premier.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nobody likes 9th.

He's been an *sshole since right after The Minstrel Show dropped. Just speaking from personal experience and what I see other people saying constantly. Dude basically thinks he's the GOAT, for some reason, and has an ego that doesn't match the limited talent he has. He's always been on that "big fish, little pond" sh*t in NC, and a lot of the dudes he started out with, have said he's way too gassed now. Why? Nobody seems to know because his accomplishments are mad low level.

He got a beat on a Hov album and thought he was Quincy Jones, lol. Phonte has spoken about it a lot. The Listening was a classic, but 9th's catalogue is far from legendary status. Those pedestrian ass beats don’t justify the way this dude goes around acting like he's Premier.

I know people like to shyt on 9th but how are his accomplishments low level?

He's worked with Jay, Destiny's Child, Mary J Blige, Kendrick, Anderson Paak, Erykah, etc. He has a Grammy for Damn. For an underground boom bap producer he's accomplished a lot.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
9th is a legend but this follows him. LB obviously fell out with him. Skyzoo said something similar and now Rap. I remember even Murs saying in an interview that 9th calls all the shots creatively
A decent chunk of the artists he's worked with have fallen out with him. We're basically on the 3rd iteration of Jamla now with Musalini, Reuben Vincent, King Draft, Swank, Keyuntae, and Sweata. Rapsody's the only original Jamla member still signed, I think (could be wrong).

Obviously, there's been tons of rappers in these crews over the years that just retired or got out of the game for whatever reason. Not everyone on every iteration of these labels or crews had issues with him.

Always one of my favorite producers though, regardless of reputation. I think he's a pretty underrated technician and has a great catalogue. Also I thought he was a dope producer rapper. He had a great rap voice and was a decent writer.

Last edited:

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
I know people like to shyt on 9th but how are his accomplishments low level?

He's worked with Jay, Destiny's Child, Mary J Blige, Kendrick, Anderson Paak, Erykah, etc. He has a Grammy for Damn. For an underground boom bap producer he's accomplished a lot.

I don’t even like to do it. He's just a trash human being. In just being honest, I know a lot of people who've worked with those same artists and don’t carry themselves like idiots. Or act gassed.

The music business is very small. So you can work with those artists and not go around telling people who helped you get to where you are today, that they'll "never reach your career heights". Truth be told, he owes Pooh and Phonte everything. So telling them they'll never reach his level, as if he's one of the GOAT's, and then going around treating other underground artists the same, just because you got a couple of early looks, makes him extremely wack. He hasn't done enough to go around like he's that dude. Even the people who are on that level, don’t act like 9th does.

9th gets the gas face, all day.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
A decent chunk of the artists he's worked with have fallen out with him. We're basically on the 3rd iteration of Jamla now with Musalini, Reuben Vincent, King Draft, Swank, Keyuntae, and Sweata. Rapsody's the only original Jamla member still signed, I think (could be wrong).

Obviously, there's been tons of rappers in these crews over the years that just retired or got out of the game for whatever reason. Not everyone on every iteration of these labels or crews had issues with him.

Always one of my favorite producers though, regardless of reputation. I think he's a pretty underrated technician and has a great catalogue. Also I thought he was a dope producer rapper. He had a great rap voice and was a decent writer.
full