Rank Coogler's films. (Fruitvale Station/Creed/Black Panther)

CROM

Pray. I will not listen, but I will laugh at you
Daps
Reppin
Valhalla
Coogler is special.

I'm glad we're at a point where if someone asks you to name a great black director, John Singleton isn't the only name people can think of! Coogler is VERY special and has proven that black directors can handle big budget films equally as well, if not better than their white counterparts.

This cat could really be a trailblazer for black filmmakers.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ryan Coogler
Jordan Peele
Barry Jenkins
Ava DuVernay
Steve McQueen
Nate Parker

F. Gary Gray, Rick Famuyiwa, Gina Prince Blythewood and Malcolm D. Lee still dropping quality films

When you factor in commercial and critical success, this has arguably been the best era for black directors since Spike, John and the Hughes Brothers in the early 90s

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Creed
BP
Fruitvale

BP’s gotten a lot of hype and it’s a really good film but Creed is just amazing to me. Everything from the soundtrack to the choreography, to the investment you have as a viewer in Donny and Rocky. The whole movie theatre was on the edge of their seats when Donny was fighting Pretty Ricky, legitimate gasps and screams when he first knocked out :wow:

Plus, I’ve got family in Philly and I’ve been there a few times and Creed perfectly captured the feel of the city.

That movie had it all.
Again I gotta see BP again to see if I can put it at the top. However, Creed was a movie that really had no flaws imo. With BP I can criticize the the CGI and also at times question if they cut up the long takes he normally had in Creed or question how Creed and BP even have the same running time. If he made a boxing film 2hrs 13 mins....no way was his intention to have Black Panther at just 2hrs 14 mins. I want to see that extra footage..

That being said Coogler does shyt in Black Panther thats awe inspiring. Creed is more consistently great, but Black Panther has those scenes or moments thats just surreal.

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
panther
creed
fruitvale

has any director even had a start like this to his career?
Ish is amazing when you think of it:wow:

And breh is 31...........31 just imagine his filmography when it is all said and done. I just hope breh makes smart decisions and doesn’t get involved in the Hollywood bullshyt. I have watched interview with him and love this brotha. He is humble intelligent and just seems like an all around nice guy. I will support anything he puts out now.

And in regards to the thread topic.

BP
Creed
Fruitvale

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Ryan Coogler
Jordan Peele
Barry Jenkins
Ava DuVernay
Steve McQueen
Nate Parker

F. Gary Gray, Rick Famuyiwa, Gina Prince Blythewood and Malcolm D. Lee still dropping quality films

When you factor in commercial and critical success, this has arguably been the best era for black directors since Spike, John and the Hughes Brothers in the early 90s

antoine fuqua as well

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
BP
Creed

Havent watch fruitvale yet.....after django i kind of stopped watching movies about blacks that would leave me depressed or pissed. I may watch it at some point but who knows.
panther
creed
fruitvale

has any director even had a start like this to his career?
Ish is amazing when you think of it:wow:
can only really think of 3. Depends on how u feel about certain movies tho. Tarantino had reservoir dogs, pulp fiction, and jackie brown to start off his feature film career. Spike had she's gotta have it, school daze, and do the right thing. Tim burton had pee wee's big adventure, beetlejuice, then batman. Only ones i can think of.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Ryan Coogler
Jordan Peele
Barry Jenkins
Ava DuVernay
Steve McQueen
Nate Parker

Ava's output doesn't match up to her hype

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ava's output doesn't match up to her hype

Critically acclaimed movie with Selma, critically acclaimed documentary with the 13th. Critically acclaimed TV show with Queen Sugar. Haven't seen I Will Follow or Middle of Nowhere but they both got good buzz. She's clearly talented with some commercial appeal. I think she's deserving of the hype but we'll see how Wrinkle in Time is.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Critically acclaimed movie with Selma, critically acclaimed documentary with the 13th. Critically acclaimed TV show with Queen Sugar. Haven't seen I Will Follow or Middle of Nowhere but they both got good buzz. She's clearly talented with some commercial appeal. I think she's deserving of the hype but we'll see how Wrinkle in Time is.
Selma was okay.

A lot is riding on Wrinkle. If it flops that will not be a good look

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Seems like every message board outside of here and CBR are acting like BP is clearly his worst film :gucci: