Random NBA Observations 2022 - 2023

IGSaint12

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Russ is playing well. I think a huge problem with Russ on the Lakers is that him and Lebron being on the floor together did not make sense. He' needs space to work just like Lebron does. It was a mish mash of styles that did not work. I remember that trade going down and not understanding how they would fit. At least it's better now.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Russ is playing well. I think a huge problem with Russ on the Lakers is that him and Lebron being on the floor together did not make sense. He' needs space to work just like Lebron does. It was a mish mash of styles that did not work. I remember that trade going down and not understanding how they would fit. At least it's better now.

Surprisingly, even though we all felt the same thing the reality on the court was a little bit different. Westbrook was way better with Bron on the court than without Bron.

No some of this is not true. Westbrook played better with just Lebron on the court than he did with just AD. Especially after AD went out. They were a top duo in the league.

Westbrook + LeBron ON court, AD OFF: 119.8 ORtg, 111.8 DRtg, +8.0 NET
Westbrook + LeBron + AD ON Court: 113.8 ORtg, 112.0 DRtg, +1.8 NET
Westbrook + AD ON court, LeBron OFF court: 119.2 ORtg, 120.2 DRtg, -1.0 NET
Westbrook ON court, LeBron and AD OFF court: 106.6 ORtg, 120.6 DRtg, -14.0 NET

Lakers from 12/16/2022 (AD’s injury) until Westbrook was traded

Westbrook + LeBron ON court, AD OFF: 122.9 ORtg, 112.6 DRtg, +10.3 NET

And in the regular season he’s not a net negative depending on the matchup and pace the opponent plays at. But in the playoffs he is. I noticed he played his best against teams that are higher in pace. But against the slower paced teams is when he struggled the most.

I think the bigger problem for Westbrook's fit was the lack of shooters and perimeter defenders on the Lakers' roster. He didn't have guys to pass to or space the floor for him, and he didn't have other perimeter defenders to cover his lapses. When Bron was in the game he could make it work, but without Bron he was exposed.

That and the bonehead crunch time plays, of course.