Random NBA Observations 2021 - 2022

Daps
Mobley might fukk around and win ROY. I gotta say, he's got all the tools to be a franchise-changing defensive piece. He's that good on that end.
His style of play is nothing like Duncan's, he just reminds me of him as a rookie, in terms of what influence he has on winning.

And what I mean by that is, he plays beyond his years, where everything he does on the floor contributes to actual impact, even if he isn't putting up box score numbers. It's that poise and BBIQ that makes them look like they've been here before in a past life. That's how good he is. There aren't too many rookie big men in the last twenty years you can say that about. Usually it takes them a while to work out things, especially in this day and age.

:troll:

For real though, it's about what he does defensively, that's how I see a bit of Duncan in him.

Usually rookie big men are known to make their name purely off highlight blocks, and while he does do that, it's more about the little things: making the right rotations, not biting on fakes, being in the right place at the right time, and just willing to take on a greater role on that end of the floor. Rookie big men don't do that sort of thing. They don't have have that desire, experience and foresight. They're typically about making highlight plays on that end by showing off their athleticism. Mobley isn't concerned with that. That shows someone who's wise beyond his years, who sees the bigger picture, just like Duncan did when he was a rookie.

And while he most definitely does NOT have Duncan's refinement and scoring skillset, he does make the right reads on offense too, and just knows where to be and what to do. This is evident in his passing, whether it be baiting the help defender into coming over and then passing to his assignment, or in the PnR either as the roll-man or as the ball-handler and finding the open man.
Mobley's numbers:

1st in the league in contested shots
7th in eFG% on primary defensive matchups out of all qualified big men
2nd in Keep-in-Front Drive% out of all qualified big men (only just behind Draymond)
4th in defensive rating out of all qualified big men (only behind Giannis, Jokic and Draymond)
88% percentile in protecting the rim.

:whoo:

It's pretty damn remarkable that a rookie is having this kind of defensive impact already. I expected him to be good on that end, but not this good.