Random NBA Observations 2021 - 2022

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
On whether Pitaro sees any scenario where ESPN would not have a portion of the NBA’s next media rights contract given ESPN’s long history in the sport

Pitaro: I sure hope not. It’s an incredibly important property for us. We also see that property as ascending — younger demographics. Right now I think they have more parity than we’ve seen in a long time. We see young stars who are starting to catch on in the zeitgeist. We are incredibly excited about the NBA. We also like what we’ve done. We’re very happy with our team both in front of and behind the camera. I’m talking games. I’m talking about our studio programming.

That being said, do we need to continue to innovate? (NBA commissioner) Adam (Silver) and I have talked about this. Yes. Are these alternative broadcasts that we’ve done solid? They absolutely are. Do we need to be doing more of them? Do we need to be thinking about more innovation around the primary broadcasts? We do. We can’t just sit idle here and be complacent. I know that there’s some discussion around the (ratings) comps to 2019, but we’re very pleased with our numbers for the NBA Finals, especially when you compare them to the past few years. Our sales team has been very happy with our ratings performance. We have a great relationship with the league, and I really want it to continue. Now, we have some time here. We still have three seasons left. So there’s no urgency. But we absolutely would like to extend our partnership with the NBA.

On the prospect of the NBA taking premium content to a direct-to-consumer product such as Apple or Amazon

Pitaro: Well, we hope that’s us. When we sit down with the league, we hope that they’re open to us having ESPN+ as a part of that conversation. By the way, not just ESPN+. It could be Hulu as well as we did with the NHL. But could I foresee them bringing other partners to the table? Of course I could. If you look at what Apple and Amazon are doing right now, they’re bidding and they’re acquiring rights. So I’m assuming that they’re going to be part of the NBA discussion just like they’ve been a part of the NFL and MLS discussions and others. I would not be surprised if they acquire some, but like I said, we’re all-in on the NBA.

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
Kyrie stayin in BK

He’ll probably sign a 2 or 3 year deal with options

Nobody wants to deal with this clown and he lucky KD is on his nuts