R.I.P KA

Figaro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 36 Chambers
woods tribute to Ka in the latest newsletter.

"But first let me say how much I love hip-hop music in its many forms and endless possibilities. In the fall of 1989 my family returned to the U.S. and, for a time, stayed with family friends while my mother tried to rebuild the life we left behind ten years prior. We were, as Ka so succinctly put it, “living in the living room”, and it was in theat living room, while watching "Do The Right Thing", that I heard “Fight The Power” for the first time, and my life changed. Last week I had the refrain from “ZIGZAGZIG” off ELUCID’s incredible new album bouncing around my psyche as I watched Israel rain destruction on its neighbors. This morning I put on one of my favorite Ka albums and once again I was transported to those places that this artform alone takes me. I knew him, and like most who did, was better for it. As has become clear in this time of public mourning, Ka was not only a great rapper and producer, he was a wonderful human being. We all have our stories of time spent with Kaseem Ryan and we all hold them dear. I have never met a person who spoke ill of this man, and to say that in this game is unheard of. To the contrary, there is universal admiration and respect. Few of us will leave this world able to say the same. His loss is incalculable. But that’s the thing, he gave us all this music! Now, there is lots of music in the world, there are all kinds of art that people make, and while they all may have value, they are not the same. All you have to do is actually, really, listen to the music someone is making and you will know what it cost them. For many artists, that’s very little, and for some, perhaps too much. To make art like Ka made art, you must take a piece of yourself and put it into this thing, this conjuring that we are doing. It demands blood. You have to go in there sometimes and cut something out and bring it, dripping, to the altar. That is what sets his work apart. Not the technical precision, the atmospheric production, or the weaving dance of simile and metaphor. Certainly not the grim circumstances he often described; we have heard those before, and some of us have lived them. What set Ka apart was the heart. And for those who make that sacrifice, it is in the hope that someone, somewhere, will understand, will feel, will be moved. In that Ka surely succeeded beyond his wildest dreams. Rest In Peace.
- woods"

Billy Woods letter to KA, From Billy Woods Reddit page

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
Every time an artist I'm a fan of dies, its hard to know what to say. Its a lot of cliches.

One less cool person. Just less creativity, skill and wisdom in the world. Thats upsetting to me on a personal level. He risked his life for others, and made artistic music too. He was a unique dude in his life and in his musical style. I hope if anything his legend grows and influences more people. Grief Pedigree and Descendants are classic records.

CM_Burns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
“An album is not supposed to reach you at the first listen,” he said. “Right now, we’re at an age where there’s Mona Lisa on the wall, you look at it for 30 seconds and go ‘I only like the eyes and the lips, take everything else away.’ The tree in the back makes the fukking picture. You might not like track two, right now, but that shyt fits on the sequence of the album. I’m trying to make beautiful albums.”

Great quote