Quentin Tarantino won’t cast British actor for next film: “It’s just all these British actors pretending to be Americans”

KingsOfKings

𝕄𝕒𝕕𝕝𝕚𝕓 𝕚𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝔾𝕠𝕒𝕥
Daps

Quentin Tarantino has admitted that he doesn’t want the lead role of his new film, The Movie Critic, to be played by a British actor.

In a new interview with Deadline, the Pulp Fiction director expressed the view that too many American characters are being portrayed by UK stars, and that “nobody is acting in their own voice”.

Asked if a British actor could potentially be cast as the film’s lead, he outright replied: “No. The truth of the matter is, yes, obviously, a Brit could pull it off, but I don’t want to cast a Brit. Obviously, nothing against the Brits, but we’re living in a really weird time now.”

He continued: “I think when people look back on this era of cinema, and it’s just all these British actors pretending to be Americans and all these Australian actors pretending to be Americans, it’s like phantoms. Nobody is acting in their own voice. We just happen to be in an era of really, really good British actors who, for the most part, can pull it off.”

Tarantino stressed that he has nothing against British actors, adding: “By the way, I’m not being xenophobic. The Brits would have a hell of a lot more problems if a bunch of American actors came over there with their dikk Van **** [Mary Poppins] accents playing famous Brits. They don’t want to see that sh!t.”

Quentin Tarantino won't cast British lead for 'The Movie Critic': "Nobody is acting in their own voice"

Yesss! Keep these untalented uglies out of Hollywood. People are tired!

Daps
Reppin
Occulonimbus edoequus
British Brehs people are taking a lot of roles from American Brehs.

The industry speaks on this in various ways...Spike Lee started saying in 2013 that he likes the idea of Brits taking American roles because they are well trained.

Then he adds a non-sequitur in She's Gotta Have It...that basically plays to the trope of how Brits don't have the authenticity to play Black American roles. Boyega went nuclear and a few others.

They do need to hire more Black American actors. That is the truth.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
Be mad at British actors who actually go to acting school and study their craft racist crehs
Isn’t this a “thing” in the industry though. I remember reading about some black American actors being frustrated by it. But again, to everyone else’s point, start acting as good as Kaluuya and you’ll get parts.

Daps
Reppin
Occulonimbus edoequus
Isn’t this a “thing” in the industry though. I remember reading about some black American actors being frustrated by it. But again, to everyone else’s point, start acting as good as Kaluuya and you’ll get parts.

That's what they tell all Black folks... "pull yourself up by your bootstraps"...

We already work twice as hard for basic recognition and respect.

Live the lives that the stories are about.

Kaluuya is not really that great in my opinion.

There are thousands of Black actors equal or better than him but get passed over because they don't sound like a Harry Potter ass hobbit.

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush

It’s not a thing… Look at all the black American actors who went to those Ivy League schools for acting… All are doing just fine…

A lot of times than not British actors train with American linguist hence why they can perfect an American accent so well when acting.. If acting schools implemented that here you would see more black American actors in roles playing those from other countries

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Weird take in a profession where they literally pretend to be someone else.
Yep,

Although i find it unlikely that this many british actors did better as an american in auditions than actual americans if they are going strictly based on talent.
Seems to be more of a trend to use them than simply the best actors getting the role. they are good actors not gonna take that away from them, but casting a british dude to that generic midwestern accent they always do in every film regardless of if its set in the south or boston or la or somewhere americans don't sound like they from ohio, isn't in my opinion the best casting anyway.
Ewan mcgregor in the big fish for example, awful. Sounded passable as "american" yes, but he did not sound like he was from alabama at all.

Last edited:

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
The Brits would have a hell of a lot more problems if a bunch of American actors came over there with their dikk Van **** [Mary Poppins] accents playing famous Brits. They don’t want to see that sh!t
:russ:

"Now you can Big up ya man Jim Jones " -london bruv accent