PWI: HOLLYWOOD REPORTER THEORIZES POSSIBLE MERGER FOR WB DISCOVERY &; NBC UNIVERSAL, WHICH WOULD HAVE MASSIVE PRO WRESTLING RAMIFICATIONS

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
Man, WB getting passed around like a joint. They are getting merged every 4 years and shyt :dead:
Pretty impressive they can have properties like HBO, DC, WB movies (which includes Looney Tunes, Dune, Harry Potter and Matrix franchises), New Line Cinema (which includes Nightmare on Elm Street, The Conjouring, and Lord of the Rings Franchises), and Cartoon network and continually fukk it up.

I feel like after a while it has to be considered a concerted effort to screw up this much.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Pretty impressive they can have properties like HBO, DC, WB movies (which includes Looney Tunes, Dune, Harry Potter and Matrix franchises), New Line Cinema (which includes Nightmare on Elm Street, The Conjouring, and Lord of the Rings Franchises), and Cartoon network and continually fukk it up.

I feel like after a while it has to be considered a concerted effort to screw up this much.

nah... under Turner they were a powerhouse. He had to sell a lot of sh-t because of his divorce. AT&T was a disaster.. the wrong people to buy. Discovery didn't really "buy" them.. they don't have that type of cash. it was a complex merger where both needed each other.

if NBC really merged in.. they'd be way too big.. doubt the gov. lets that happen

William Heavy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wonder if the government will allow this since Warner Discovery are cable channels and not part of the big 4 broadcasters.

So it would be
NBC Universal with NBC, USA, E! and Warner Discovery's assets, Turner channels, HBO, and reality/cooking/home improvement channels
Paramount with CBS, MTV, Nick, Showtime etc..
Disney with ABC, ESPN, and various Disney channels
Fox with Fox, Fox News, Fox Sports

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Zaslav has been fukking up with the intent to sell Warnermedia AGAIN (3 time in like 6 years if it happens in 2024) but unlike the previous 2 times this would be two similar media companies merging and there might be monopoly issues with that.
Before anything involving AEW and WWE that might be a bigger issues and both companies TV contracts will be negotiated in 2023 (I thought it would be 2024 but it seems its both up for renogitating year before)

Its a weird one cause neither company owns either promotion just the TV so if it does happen it wouldnt mean they'd be along for it.

drifter

Superstar
Daps
Same government that let Disney buy Fox? :heh:
If that guy and everybody that liked that lives in the US they clearly don't understand the government they live under. They were saying this same exact thing for the first Warner merger with AT&T. IG's been owned by Facebook so long most people don't remember the two competed until Zuckerberg dropped the bag of all bags. Amazon has bought up a large number of small businesses, a lot of them after they bullied owners with the threat of creating similar services and crushing their market if they didn't sell.

This ain't the UK or Germany, the US government does not give a fukk about monopolies. If enough money is exchanging hands from this merger it's happening. The only question is whether WWE has the pull after a merger to disrupt AEW's business like they did MLW. People just always operating under best case scenarios for AEW, like WWE didn't just run two shows on the same day as their biggest show lol

Last edited:

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
If that guy and everybody that liked that lives in the US they clearly don't understand the government they live under. They were saying this same exact thing for the first Warner merger with AT&T. IG's been owned by Facebook so long most people don't remember the two competed until Zuckerberg dropped the bag of all bags. Amazon has bought up a large number of small businesses, a lot of them after they bullied owners with the threat of creating similar services and crushing their market if they didn't sell.

This ain't the UK or Germany, the US government does not give a fukk about monopolies. If enough money is exchanging hands from this merger it's happening. The only question is whether WWE has the pull after a merger to disrupt AEW's business like they did MLW. People just always operating under best case scenarios for AEW, like WWE didn't just run two shows on the same day as their biggest show lol
All Out isn't their biggest show. I don't know why people keep saying that on here. Other than last year when CM Punk had his first match in 7 years, it has consistently been one of their lowest drawing PPVs in terms of PPV buys.

It had the second lowest buy rate in 2019 and 2020. It led in 2021 (CM Punk return match). And thus far it has the second lowest buy rate this year.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
I could see this as working out good or bad for AEW.

Good - I have no way of reliably predicting what AEW is going to be doing ratings wide around the time the sale hypothetically happens. But let's say it still is in the 900K-1M range for total viewers with a high .30s demo. That's still going to be a highly profitable show. Unless WWE threatens the media company (MC going forward) with leaving, I don't see much reason for why the MC would want to get rid of AEW. I can also see the MC telling both of them that they have to play nice with each other. They aren't telling WWE/AEW they have to work together, they just can't actively do things that have the intent of damaging the other company - so no counter programming against the other, no taking shots against the other, no contract tampering, etc.

Bad - WWE says we like to watch the world burn and tells MC that they walk unless AEW's shows are cancelled. AEW shows are cancelled, they can't find a network to take them on since this new MC will control a million networks and Fox networks would be out of the picture because of Smackdown, and they become an ROH level indie.